Heidi Montag Calls It Quits with Spencer Pratt

5/29/2010 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Heidi Montag has separated from husband Spencer Pratt, TMZ has learned.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
Heidi's rep tells TMZ, "Heidi is looking to move out due to all the fake bad press that Spencer controls.  She's tired of it and is looking for a place and wants to focus on her acting career."

We're told Heidi -- pictured above with Spencer in Malibu last Friday -- is looking for a new place to live ... in Malibu.

As TMZ first reported, Heidi and Spencer called the police on Heidi's mom a few weeks back ...  so there's been plenty of turmoil.

A source close to Heidi and Spencer tells TMZ the tension in the relationship has been building for a while now ... "It wasn't just a sudden thing."

Now it makes sense ... On Tuesday, Heidi tweeted, "I am not Heidi Pratt, I am Heidi Montag."

UPDATE: Spencer's sister, Stephanie Pratt, tells TMZ, "I hope whether this statement is true or not that they are both happy in whatever life decisions they make."

Hugh Jass

Well, Justin (presently #30), I disagree with you on 1, 2 & 3.

Heidi is a good looking lady, she will get her Malibu Barbie home, a Barbie Corvette and a career up-tick.

Patty

Why does everyone keep saying Spencer was "losing it" and talking about his "anger" issues.....The Hills is NOT reality. Lo Bosworth was on Bonnie Hunt and said even the drug thing with Kristin C. was made up because it was an important "topic" the show wanted to cover. For all anyone knows, spousal abuse and control is another "topic" that The Hills wants to "cover". I mean Spencer is banned from the show, so what better segue way into domestic issues?

Dirty Sanchez

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathe* HAHAHAHAHA

Aww too bad White Wolf and Running Bear or ahem as I like to call them Douche and Douchette.

RobG

Bout time too. No need for superbabes shackin-up with ugly critters such as him. FGS, even I'm better lookin and I look like I been hit by a truck. Twice.

Jenny

There is only so much abuse a woman can take from a guy with a tiny ****.

suesch1950

I hope it is not a PR stunt and she is going to regain and control her own life.

Patty

RobG, I think I'm most disturbed about you calling Heidi a "superbabe" - nothing on her is real anymore, after a while, the warranties run out yanno......

Bex

ok then ... i'm i the only one who is sooo tired of the hills and it's fake ass drama? This IS a publicity stunt everything these 2 do is... they are faker then Heidi's Boobs! Someone anyone who lives in L.A... do us all a favor ... put the hills so called stars out of my and our misery! oh so does this mean Spidy wont have their own spin off so-called reality show? What ever will Spencer do without a camera in his face... oh well i don't care i hope he gets hit by a bus lol

loubque

pretend to not give a crap and then posting cancels it out. You do care. And if it is a publicity stunt then what? they will never be filmed together? It sounds like it was a long time coming. THat whole tweet she did about not having friends and loving her life I suspect was posted by Spencer and perhaps that was the straw. But I dont know, as you dont know either. Just wish her good luck for getting rid of the POS

Kim

I think you FORGOT to include the Poll question: Is this is a publicity stunt? The answer would be YES!

Felicia

He looks frigtening...in a uni-bomber/gonna go postal way in that shot. Seriously...that kid has lost his bloody mind!

Justine07

who gives a shizz?

Jessie

Chill ya'll! Even if you've decide to not like the girl theres no reason to hate on her right now!
Especially when it comes to posting comments on TMZ, how about trying to put into play that old advice: "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all". You guys don't have to waste your own time or energy commenting if you don't care about the subject!

Now.
Good for Heidi.
*Good for you, Heidi!*
I wish her the best. It's hard to leave someone you love, even when the person is manipulative (ESPECIALLY when the person is manipulative!) and she's going to need a lot of support and she's going to need to be patient and kind with herself till she gets her confidence back.
But this is a great step for her. Hang in there, Heidi! You'll be better off in the long run without that drama and chaos.

Stacey

Two words.... Dorothy Stratten! If this is true...get a restraining order and RUN as fast as you can out of town! He's a nutjob!

Lilly

I'm not buying it. Can anyone say "attention whore"??