Vanilla Ice

I'm Going to Gary Coleman's Memorial

5/29/2010 4:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Vanilla Ice is committed to attending Gary Coleman's upcoming memorial service -- which begs the obvious question ... why?

Turns out Vanilla and Gary hit it off when Coleman guest starred on an episode of "The Surreal Life" back in 2004 ... despite the fact that they got into an epic war on the show because Gary wouldn't say, "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

Vanilla -- aka Robert Van Winkle -- tells us, "I'll always remember the time he and I had. He was fun to be around for the most part. Just a good, funny guy."

He adds, "It's almost a Catch-22. He's had such a bad luck life ... I hope he's in a better place."

No memorial date has been set as of yet -- but Vanilla says "of course" he'll attend.

Ann

I'll bet poor Gary is turning in his grave (or morgue gurney) knowing that right after his death he would be pictured alongside Vanilla Ice. So sad.

yeah right

vanilla ice is a douche! The only thing these two had in common was a severe lack of anger management! Oh yeah,a little late to sing his praises now you has been reject! He totally dogged gary on that show,made fun of his gubnatorial bid and said he was embarrased to be seen near GAry. Mind you this is superstar Vanilla ice doing all this? Suge should've finished the job,he a freakin 1 hit wonder *******!

Celebrities Suck

When he was alive he seemed lonely, a person that had no friends. These fake @ss celebrities that are all saying he was a good friend are fake @ss friends that I'm pretty sure never called him. True friends keep in touch in good and bad times... So don't call yourself a friend if you never picked up the phone and gave him a random call just to say hello...

WordOutlet

Getting your name in the headlines for free must be nice.
It would be great to learn who informed TMZ of this 'fact'...

Robert Van Winkle himself?

herbert83

Good gesture Vaniila Ice

depecheaholic

i remember that episode. i was laying in bed, feeling sick and they were all "working" at mel's diner. as soon as they showed that piece of blueberry pie, i started praying to the porcelain god!

luckyram

I don't know......how would Vanilla Ice ever be able to fit this into his busy, demanding schedule??? LOL

Erika

This is a ridiculous posting. You ask Why? Why not. He knew the guy and he died and Vanilla Ice cares and wants to pay respects...isn't that why most people go to funerals?
Just because you can make something out of nothing doesn't mean you should.

you know it

I think that is a real nice gesture. Putting all the bad that happened between them to go to his funeral is an honorable gesture.

BarbieJean

VI has the right frame of mind. He wants to pay respect to Gary, not hurt him. I think it's genuine. Do it Robert, to hell with who doesn't like it.

Murgatroyd

Thanks ever so much for sharing this earth-shakaing news with ut.

lgwelsh1

It's genuine.

miller

'Willis is right there! Just ask him what he's talkin bout!?"

Lol that was a classic episode of sureal life! Ice was outrageous, Colman was PO'ed but a good sport. I can see why Ice would pay his respects.

celebritymagnet

photo
Contributed by celebritymagnet.com
Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:42
More stories from this contributor
This story has been viewed 115 times
(115 times in the past 24 hours, 7 times in the past hour) editEdit deletebuttonDelete
"Killing Willis"
Before meeting with Todd Bridges my initial feeling was, why on earth would I want to meet with that guy?
Well, the first thing I learned about Todd Bridges is that he is no relation to the Oscar winner, Jeff Bridges.
All jokes aside, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how nice and well-spoken Todd actually is.
Bridges has had a roller coaster life. Success and heartache.
Todd Bridges, the man who played Willis Jackson on the TV series "Diff'rent Strokes," offered his own insight into the trials of being a childhood star and shared his story of drug addiction.
He seems very humble, much unlike his fellow "Diff'rent Strokes" co-star Gary Coleman. Todd acts like a guy just happy to be alive, and for good reason.
As an actor of a hit show, the young Bridges was pulling in $30,000 a week. But by age 22 he was out of work. Then Bridges said he began selling drugs.
Specifically, he battled addictions to crystal meth and cocaine. "I hated myself," said the 44-year-old Bridges. "I hated the way I looked in the mirror.
Bridges' recent autobiography is "Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted."

Tom: I see you have a photo there from your wrestling days, are you still wrestling?
Bridges: "Yeah, I gave it up there for a while and now I'm getting back into it."
Tom: You did some boxing, too, any chance of doing that again?
Bridges: "No. But I did kick Vanilla Ice's ass." (Laughing)
Tom: How did you come with the idea for the new book?
Bridges: "The media wouldn't tell the real story so I wanted to put it in a book."
Tom: "You should have named it " Willis gets a second chance"
Bridges: "I hear that!"

Tom: Do you still talk to Gary Coleman?
Bridges: "No, I don't talk to him anymore".
Tom: Did you see his newest movie
Bridges: Oh yeah? "What's the name of it?"
Tom: You know The one that shows his junk, "Midgets vs Mascots"
Bridges: "You know that ain't real right?" ( laughing )
Tom: How would you know? ( laughing )
Bridges: Have you seen it? "You know that thing is fake!" (laughing)
Tom: Are you sure?
Bridges: "C'mon man Gary ain't got nothing like that, I mean that thing is touchin the ground!"( both laughing)
Gary Coleman responded: Whatyoutalkinbouttodd

Tom: So what's next for you? Do you have anything else in the works?
Bridges: "Just my book and my TV show other than that I'm just taking it easy."
Bridges: "The plan is to kick back with my kids and enjoy time with them."
Tom: I'm going to be on the Fox Morning show next week and the producer thought it would be fun if you did a call in.
Well it will be aired here about 8:30 eastern time so that would be 5:30 by you.
Bridges: "5:30?? There ain't no way I'm getting up at 5:30, sorry man." (laughing)
Tom: Do you blame Hollywood for what happened to you?
Bridges: "Can't blame Hollywood, it's not Hollywood -- those are choices that I made. The media always wants to blame Hollywood: 'Oh, it's because they threw you away,' and all this and that, but I can't blame Hollywood. ... I made some stupid choices; I made some horrible mistakes that cost me."
Tom: Well, I better let you run. I was great meeting you.
Bridges: You too man, Take care.

By: Tom Murro
Celebritymagnet.com

Tags: Tom Murro, Todd Bridges, celebrity,gossip, books,Gary Coleman

celebritymagnet

photo
Contributed by celebritymagnet.com
Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:42
More stories from this contributor
This story has been viewed 115 times
"Killing Willis"
Bridges has had a roller coaster life. Success and heartache.

Tom: You did some boxing, too, any chance of doing that again?
Bridges: "No. But I did kick Vanilla Ice's ass." (Laughing)
Tom: How did you come with the idea for the new book?
Tom: "You should have named it " Willis gets a second chance"
Bridges: "I hear that!"

Tom: Do you still talk to Gary Coleman?
Bridges: "No, I don't talk to him anymore".
Tom: Did you see his newest movie
Bridges: Oh yeah? "What's the name of it?"
Tom: You know The one that shows his junk, "Midgets vs Mascots"
Bridges: "You know that ain't real right?" ( laughing )
Tom: How would you know? ( laughing )
Bridges: Have you seen it? "You know that thing is fake!" (laughing)
Tom: Are you sure?
Gary Coleman responded: Whatyoutalkinbouttodd

Tom: So what's next for you? Do you have anything else in the works?
Bridges: "Just my book and my TV show other than that I'm just taking it easy."
Bridges: "The plan is to kick back with my kids and enjoy time with them."
Tom: Do you blame Hollywood for what happened to you?
Tom: Well, I better let you run. I was great meeting you.
Bridges: You too man, Take care.

By: Tom Murro