Chris Klein -- Animal Group Furious Over DUI

6/16/2010 6:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An animal rights group is unleashing on Chris Klein over his DUI arrest this morning -- claiming nobody should ever drive around wasted ... especially when a pet is on board.

0622_klein_ida_tmz_EX

TMZ spoke with a rep for the group "In Defense of Animals" -- who tells us, "By choosing to drive under the influence with his dog in the car, Chris not only put innocent drivers in danger, but broke a promise to be a protector and guardian to his pet."

As we previously reported, Klein was arrested in L.A. this morning -- law enforcement sources tell us his blood alcohol level was almost three times the legal limit.

0423_celeb_dui_300_v2

Trish

It's just as bad as the "bozos" that drive around with the dog in the back of a pickup unleashed. I have 5 dogs that love to go for rides in my SUV. I call it the K-9 unit. Its a dogs day... Dog gone it.

Joe'smama

Honestly! If you're driving around drunk, having your pet in the car with you is the least of the things to feel bad about. Leave it to PETA to put the well-being of animals above all else. Maybe PETA would have felt better if he would've let his sober dog drive home...

SSinOC

It's a PR stunt to raise awareness. Next time make the dog take a cab. :)

Tess

Tess thinks Ron is really funny.

nisiek

I totally agree with them! My dog IS my baby, and means more to me than all people in my life. Most dogs are not seatbelted in, unlike kids, and have no restraints. I did not know this fact since Chris Klein is about as interesting to me as a wet kleenex, but yet, now that I know he had his doggie with him I AM PISSED!!

Nasty

shoulda let the dog drive

HMD

Oh dear... looks like the whale kissing, Dukakis hugging moon maidens have their organic panties in a bunch again....

Romina

The animal rights groups should stop complaining about stupid issues, and adopt all the dogs and cats in shelters, since they will be killed for sure if nobody takes them. Where is the devotion to their cause? I am now going to eat a cheeseburger while wearing my chinchilla coat.

EastCoastChopper

Do these pet/lover/orgs have an open running contests to one-up each other in douchebaggery?

loubque

i think when someone gets behind the wheel while they are intoxicated (especially by 3 times the limit), endangering anything was not really a concern. People need to stop putting petse on a pedastal because by their definition, owning an animal is cuelty.

R

Gee, some of these comments sure are ruff on him.

Meatatarian

Go F yourselves, IDA. No one cares what you idiots think.

Liza

To the people who are pitching a fit about people being concerned about his dog, COOL IT. It is their organization and cause to be a champion of animals and there is no way in hell that any of those people wish ill will on humans.

I guess you are just choosing to ignore the part of their statement where they show concern for "INNOCENT DRIVERS." Last I knew, dogs don't drive, so I guess they are speaking about humans.....So much for your assesment that they could give a **** about people.

Don't be ignorant.

CGS

People #1, Pets #2 - Period. Everyone is always looking for free publicity.

Fuck Celebrities