« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

6/23/2010 1:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Holy crap -- did you see the unreal goal Landon Donovan and the U.S. soccer team pulled out in the 91st minute of their match with Algeria!?!?!? It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0623_donovan_gallery
On to the next round ...

USA! USA! USA!
0615_soccer_studs_300

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Brazilllll

@Gill you're damn right! ;)

TheTatIsHers

Dear "Brazil"

Before you start bad mouthing Americans, please learn the English language. There are some of us who prefer soccer (or whatever you choose to call it) over the other American sports. You reek of ignorance, please stick to Brazilian websites.

And to those who talk about it being so boring and go back to baseball because it is SOOOOO exciting. Oh look at me, I have a stick I am going to hit that ball with it...lame!

And to those who say it isn't a sport, I would LOVE to see you get out there and run the field for 90 minutes straight. Half of the fat a**es on here wouldn't make it the first 2 minutes.

Gill

Thanks Brazil. Oh, and At, it was 2 draws not 2 ties! If you're gonna play thew game at least get the language right, just annoys me how you only sing when you're winning, us poor English have been suffering for the past 44 years!

Gill

Dear TheTatIsHers

Brazil's English if fine, it is football and not soccer, think you'll find that it's just Americans that calls it soccer for some strange reason, and i'm sure people have a right to their opinion, your comment of just sticking to Brazilian sites is very ignorant.

TheTatIsHers

Your English is almost as bad as your friends!

I can't figure out WHY people come onto an American site just to bash us, THAT my dear Gill is ignorance! We are not all the same. Football, soccer, who gives a damn what it's called. There comes a point where you keep your opinion to yourself. The world will never progress as long as there are people like you.

TheTatIsHers

Derivation of the word

The word was derived from Association Football, which was the original term given to the game in the 1860...s at the elite schools that spawned the sport in England. The abbreviation “Assoccer”, which became “soccer,” was used by the British upper classes of that period. When the sport was embraced by the less fortunate, the name of “soccer” was passed down. But most commoners used the word “football” to describe their new game. Nowadays, from the British Royal Family down to the passionate supporters in the terraces at Anfield (Liverpool FC), Old Trafford (Manchester United), or Stamford Bridge (Chelsea FC of London), the game is called football. Or “footy.”

That's interesting!

Brazilllll

To THE TATLSHERS

Dude, i DOOO know english language, maybe even more than some stupid native speakers...
Like I said, the WHOLE world calls this sport FOOTBALL, only u guys call it soccer....u didnt invent it...dont have the right to change the name...but whatever...
I don't give a rats ass about what u think...
But I'm glad to see not all americans are watchin sports other than the typical ones...
Like i said...I don't care, USA wont make it to the finals...
Kisses from lovely Brazil!!

USA ftw

@ Brazil--Can't wait to beat your Brazilian ass! Not all Americans are ignorant to soccer, and I'm so glad it's being embraced by more Americans daily!! Regardless of whether you love the sport or not, Americans should be proud of the boys playing over there. Also, I'm pretty sure The Tatlshers said the name soccer originated in Britain, so I'm thinking that means we didn't change the name...good effort though, which is what you'll be saying to Brazil when they lose. Kisses from lovely America!

Justin

EPIC!!!!
USA! ALL THE WAY!!!!!
If I wasn't at work I'd be hammered at a bar for America!!!
Bring on the Serbs/Ghana/Germans Saturday!!!!
U S A!!!

Gill

Really sorry, but USA have no chance of winning against Brazil! Also think you'll find it's just you lot that call it soccer, the rest of the world call it football, no matter where it originated from. Think you will also find that the countries who live eat and breathe football would not be reporting a win on an entertainment page.

Gill

Haha, why you trying to preach to a Brit? We know where the best teams play, been a life long Liverpool fan, oh and we really don't call it footy any more!

Gill

Haha, you're so funny, i think you'll find my English is fine, after all i am English, not American, who can't even spell the easiest words correctly.
Right, now back to the football, i think you will find i didn't bash you, infact if you look at my first comment i think you will find i congratulated you.
I don't know what you're getting so mad over, i'm entitled to my opinion as much as you.
What has the royal family got to do with anything? They're as out of touch as anybody, they probably know as much as the Americans about it. Oh, and we really don't call it footy any more!

Victoria

ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND!!!!

Gill

Shhhh Victoria, we'll get picked on for shouting that! At least we actually played football today, just hope we don't have Germany on sunday!

USA ftw

Gill, I'm kind of confused why you're on an American Entertainment website? I studied abroad at Oxford last semester, and it seemed no one was really interested in what was going on in America. Also, the world cup is known for having shocking things happen, and I have to commend my boys for pulling through even with some questionable calls. Do you think England could beat Brazil, if the USA, as you say, can't? Just curious. Also, please don't mock...I think you'll find no one gets upset on here for people rooting for their teams, just those who feel the need to trash ours in the process.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments