Cop Mistook Lindsay's Cocaine for Breath Mint

6/30/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now we know why Lindsay Lohan's 2007 DUI case may have plea bargained so quickly -- the cop who took custody of the cocaine mistook it for a breath mint and threw it in the trash.

0630_lilo_clinique_card

Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ -- the officer "discovered a folded Clinique sun care card with an unknown substance caked on to the surface of the card in Lohan's right rear pocket."

The report goes on:  "Some of the white substance fell to the floor.  I used my foot to see what had fell but thought nothing of it.  I did not recognize the substance attached to the card and initially thought the substance was a wet crushed breath mint."

And now it gets good:  "I put the card into the jail trash can next to the booking windows.  I was looking at the floor and began to recognize the substance as resembling powder cocaine.   I then recovered the card from the trash."

The cop says the coke was in the trash for about 2 minutes.  He put the card in an evidence envelope, then scooped up the coke that had fallen to the floor and placed it in a separate evidence envelope.

In short -- EVIDENCE CONTAMINATION!!!

Lindsay ended up with a sweet deal and spent 84 minutes in jail ... for a drunken, cocaine-fueled chase on Pacific Coast Highway.  Nice deal if you can get it.

Prince Von A-Hole

Well how about that. Harv did something the courts couldn't. Tried convicted and executed her on inadmissible evidence. Way to vigilante.

Trish

@13 Just Sayin You crack me up. Very witty. LOL

Virtual Insanity

Right. Because we all know cocaine has that "just brushed your teeth clean" smell.

Baylee

YAY what a wonderful roll model...POS.

Nancy

Please tell me that chowderhead officer is still unemployed. . . .

snaffuu'

Only dear Lilo' can live life on the razor edge like this, walking on the wild side, flirting w/guys, girls, for sexy midnight twirls,....."Inferno" now & what next..the remake of
"the devil in miss jones" ??? or a female's Clockwork orange,...???
....A shame S. Kubrick died, Stanley would of had a field day w/her & both born in NYC no less..

Todd

@ I will be calling the ambulance!
----------------------------------

Yes, Because I'm sure the EMTS would be more than happy to find and arrest the person who robbed/stabbed you. Thanks for setting me straight.

Superman

This is only a sample of what you get when they hire 21-year-old cops.

Pretty LL

She is such an ass

Nicole

She got lucky in 07 but she did have to sucessfully complete rehab or face jail time and visit a morgue.
She deserves a fair chance on July 6th.
One thing that can't be disputed is she has definetly been free of illegal substances since May 24th and hasn't failed any of the random drug tests.
She hasn't failed any drug tests since 07 and Judge Revel even said this last year in March when her arrest warrant was recalled.

Spot

It gets better! Having contaminated the evidence, they then tried to get the DA to charge her with smuggling drugs into a jail. Andy, take the one bullet away, Barney is not ready yet!

cynical me

Gotta love cops. 90% of them are incompetent morons. They're probably waiting for her to kill someone, oh wait they'll figure out a way to botch that too.

dave

What do you mean? Barney Fife couldn't f@@k up that severely.

Unbelievable.

cynical me

24. @ I will be calling the ambulance!
----------------------------------

Well the police wont help either. You'd be better off calling Inspector Gadget.

Uh

And again...an imaginative story from the fables of TMZ. You assume it is Lindsay's cocaine, yet you have no proof...zero proof. Assuming the story is true (and that is a major assumption) the evidence was deemed CONTAMINATED!! Harvey, of all people should understand that. Nothing in your "Story" said it was cocaine. First the cop thought it was a breath mint. Then he thought it might be cocaine. You formed an opinion favoring the cops second opinion. And you printed it as fact..apparently when it was ruled contaminated. What was the contents of the trash can prior to the dumping of the mysterious card? Were the officers shoes examined? Was there any cocaine residue on the floor? (Remember where this is taking place) Lindsays cocaine? Cannot be proved, therefore she had no cocaine.