« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kentucky Basketball Players Subject of NCAA Probe

7/2/2010 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the NCAA is taking an aggressive look at University of Kentucky basketball players -- past and current -- and their possible involvement with professional agents.

0701_uk_ncaa_logo_EX

According to a source who was interviewed by an NCAA investigator, the agency is interested in at least four players -- two current and two who were just drafted by NBA teams.

In the case of one former Wildcat, we're told the NCAA wants to know about his relationship with his current agent. We're told the investigator asked about multiple meetings the agent allegedly had with the player ... dating back to the player's senior year in high school.

The insinuation is the agent had an arrangement with the player before he went to Kentucky.

It is a violation of NCAA rules for a student athlete to receive anything of value from an agent -- or
to have any agreements, verbally or in writing, with an agent. Just ask USC, Reggie Bush or OJ Mayo.

Kentucky "declined comment" -- and a rep for the NCAA tells us, "The NCAA does not comment on current, pending or potential investigations."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

denhunter

Or ask Cory the Maggot. Isn't it horrible that he took cash from Myron Piggie, before going to Duke, and Duke got it's championship pulled for playing an ineligible player...oh, wait...it's Duke...nothing wrong with that!

More selective enforcement from the NCAA and the Calipari haters. How many Dukies work for TMZ and their companies again?

Amber

It's pitiful that the NCAA hates us that bad.
everybody keep drinking that haterade, you're all just jealous that UK is back on top. cause, if you haven't noticed, they only try to get us in trouble for something, when we're #1. we have so many haters, and I love it. :)
who cares what the NCAA thinks? NOT ME.

Nick S.

TMZ is normally a guilty pleasure for me and I really don't like the paparazzi thing. However, I am rooting for TMZ to take down that cheater Calipari and to bury that program. I used to love UK and I appreciated their tradition. Once they brought in Calipari, they knew what they were getting. I mean, come on. No chance he is legit. Bury them!

electriczipper

when the NCAA gets done with UK they will be lucky to win a game against a team of midgets....and thats only if the midgets spot them 50 and wear blindfolds....these guys that graduate from UK can hardly count to 10 and thats using their fingers,but they know how to cheat,steal and rob

UKalum07

This is only another witch-hunt to bring down Coach Cal and the GREATEST basketball program in the country. I can't imagine which "current" player would be speaking with agents considering no current player even sniffed the NBA camps. None of the current players are even close to being NBA-ready. Please TMZ, just stick to covering Paris, Lyndsey, and whatever celebrity train wreck comes next and stay away from the sports section. Besides, no straight man reads TMZ Sports.

bnoe1023

#4- Thats weird, because Patrick Patterson graduated from UK in three years and was considered the most mature, NBA-ready player to enter last week's NBA draft. Oh and John Wall, the #1 pick, had the teams highest GPA last season, above a 3.0

Emanresu

Ha. Every UK fan thought Cal was dirty at Memphis. Then they buried their collective bird brains in the sand when they hired him. Now UK is only being investigated out of jealousy and spite, right UK fans? Rrriiiiiiiigggghhhhhtttt. You hired the 2000s version of Jim Herrick. It's going to bite you.

IHeartUK

You all are just jealous of UK... Get over it. Eff you!

SBS

UK back on top? UK had 4 draft picks and Cal couldn't even get them to the Final Four. First of all, the guy isn't that good of a coach. Second of all, he is a cheat and I still can't believe UK hired him.

Eventually UK is going to get what they should expect out of Cal, NCAA violations.

John Calipari

Look, year in and year out these rumors are going to surface when you are on top. They always do. I am not a UK fan but I do like myself pretty much. I am an honorable guy, heck I raised $1 million for the Haiti victims and you still want to try to chop my knees off. Come on people. The NCAA and I work together not against each other. There are going to be sources, lies and implications against me and my program because we are back on the map, on top, and everyone will continue to try to bring us down. All I can say is................BRING IT!

DEEE

Everywhere Calapari goes he is probed by the NCAA. Could it be the type of players he is recruiting? Three schools, two of them under NCAA sanctions...now possibly a third. As Bob Knight said, "why is this guy still coaching".

bigcatfan

Only negative comments are probably U.L. fans look where your coach is and what he is doing and leave our coach alone. Love the comment about DUKE. Just looking forr something to happen when we are back JEALOUS FANS !!!!!!!!!!!

lynn

Let's stop thinking players go to college for degree. Few do-good for them. These young men should have agents and lawyers to speak on their behalf.
Some are used-they bring in the money to the schools. They are too young to be in that world and need someone on their side. Not like they are getting paid millions in college-just after if they make it. All young atheletes need representation-unfortunately some of the agents are untrustworthy.

Rybo

**** TMZ THIS IS FAKE BULL **** SIGHT YOUR SOURCES IF ITS TRUE YOU WEST COAST ***S

UKBORNANDRAISED

It is amazing how TMZ is bigger than ESPN now. Checked there site and they have nothing about this "Investigation". I agree, this must be the work of a Duke fan employee. UK is finally taking their spot back at the top of basketball and all the haters come out of the wood work. We will always be the best and people hate that.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments