Vanessa Carlton's Bite Case -- Pit Bull Gets Off

7/8/2010 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A pit bull accused of viciously attacking singer Vanessa Carlton has just escaped a death sentence -- after the dog owner proved Carlton's bite wound didn't match up with a mold of the dog's teeth.

0708_vanessa_carlton_dog_BN

The exonerated puppy is Bella -- who was just 9 months old when she was accused of biting the hell out of Vanessa -- who was jogging in Pennsylvania on May 2.

But in a trial that was like an episode of "CSI" -- Bella's owner argued that there's no way the doggy would have carried out the attack ... and then brought in several forensic experts -- including specialists in dog behavior and canine dentistry -- to back her story.

Ultimately, the experts paid off -- and the judge ruled that Bella could move back in with her owner ... instead of being put down.

Carlton -- who attended the six hour trial in person -- had no comment after the case.

Shannon

YES! This is a GREAT story! She should have to pay for all the forensic experts. I would go to the same lengths to protect my (10 yr old) puppy. All owners should be this protective of their pets.

jen

ive been reading this story in our local paper...vanessa just blamed this dog because it was a pit, the teeth moldings didnt match up with her bite marks, so there is prob another crazy dog running around somewhere and she tried to blame it on this innocent puppy! i love dogs and have my own, i dont believe a dog should get away for biting for no reason, but just to blame it on this puppy is horrible! thefamily even scheduled a day to put the dog to sleep because of the pennsylvania law, i am so glad they didint do that, now they can have their dog back...vanessa carlton is horrible....

Jenn

REAL DEAL- uneducated ignorance is YOUR statement that all pits should be put down! I value all life human or not and feel that someone should speak on behalf of those who cannot. And my ideals that an animal should not be killed because of idiot people like you who just "think" that all pits are harmful and clearly have no experience with them. And I LOVE this statement from you "a productive and engaged member of society to strengthen it rather than destroy it." as you wish to destroy a breed of animal regardless of what they actually are. AND your statement "All pet owners have a responsibility to ensure their animals don't cause harm to others, clearly someone failed here." If in fact this did happen to her (which it did not from multiple reports, the failed person is the OWNER! YOUR AN IDIOT, I can't even fathom your contribution to society or the greater good on any level!

Lynn

The next case will be a homicide,and they will wonder why the dog went free.

Dawn

I think this anti-human, pro-dog atttitude has something to do with the fact that their dogs love them unconditionally, and humans don't, so in their warped minds, humans are fair game. It's like "you don't love me, so you deserve to be ripped to shreds". But dogs have been bred to be subserviant to the human (unlike cats, who seem to still have minds of their own), and they know which side their bread is butteredI think this anti-human, pro-dog atttitude has something to do with the fact that their dogs love them unconditionally, and humans don't, so in their warped minds, humans are fair game. It's like "you don't love me, so you deserve to be ripped to shreds". But dogs have been bred to be subserviant to the human (unlike cats, who seem to still have minds of their own), and they know which side their bread is buttered on. on.

Becca

Way to go Bella, thanks to her owner. Shows the kind of oerson and need by Vanessa.

Benny Blanco

AWWWW...look at "The Real Dea" trying to push buttons....you should be included in those "stupid" people then...since that is a very ignorant view on "pitbulls"...what a douche

jmk

I've been bit (twice) while running. Have to tell you, it pissed me off pretty bad. There are areas where I won't run because the dog owners ignore the leash law. Maybe if they put the owner down, instead, since it's really his/her fault the dog is loose in the first place?

Superman

Never heard of her. Did she frame the dog or something?

Yvette

As an owner of a two pit-bull mixes, I immediately got angry at this story, because pits are terribly maligned. After googling this story, it sounds like the puppy MAY have bitten her afterall.

Either way, as it's been said--there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I wish they'd always give dogs who bite someone a chance to be rehabilitated/trained--not euthanized. In the article link, above, Vanessa said she didn't want to see it happen either. I'm so glad this puppy was spared, and hope her owners get a trainer to work with her. A lot of dogs have pent up energy/aggression because they don't get regular exercise. Having a dog in the backyard isn't the same is taking your dog for long walks.

Superman

Jog with a gun. I guarantee you no dog will bite you then. You will just be hassled by the police.

Dawn

Allison

I have an amazingly sweet, gentle, loving and incredibly smart pitbull who is adored by all of our neighbors. I do firmly believe that it is the owner who instills the behavior in the dog, especially pits because all they want to do is please their owner. My dog would never intentionally hurt anyone because all she wants to do is give kisses to anyone she meets. However, I also take precautions as a responsible pet owner to make sure that my dog is always on a leash and under my control. I do whatever I can to make sure that my dog is not in a position where she could get spooked and accidentally or out of fear put another person or dog in jeopardy. I believe that owners that are not responsible enough to take care of and watch over their pets, shouldn't own animals. Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure that that doesn't happen. As smart as my dog is, I've yet to see her try and put herself on the leash. It is still MY responsibilty as her owner to do that. As for REAL DEAL...save your prayers for another uneducated moron and get the facts before you continue to go spewing your venom. Oh wait...you must be one of those people that hide behind religious rightousness to push your own twisted agendas.

J Live

Vanessa,

Sorry about your face.

Signed,

J Live

Superman

Actually, Dawn, that isn't true. Watch the "Dog Whisperer" sometime. Instead of the owners owning the dogs, it is the dogs owning the owners. The owners mean well by giving the dog a lot of affection, like a baby, but that's not the way that a dog should be treated. The dogs view themselves as the pack leader when you gush over them with a lot of affection. And in return, the dog is overly protective of their "pack" of owners.