Vanessa Carlton's Bite Case -- Pit Bull Gets Off

7/8/2010 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A pit bull accused of viciously attacking singer Vanessa Carlton has just escaped a death sentence -- after the dog owner proved Carlton's bite wound didn't match up with a mold of the dog's teeth.

0708_vanessa_carlton_dog_BN

The exonerated puppy is Bella -- who was just 9 months old when she was accused of biting the hell out of Vanessa -- who was jogging in Pennsylvania on May 2.

But in a trial that was like an episode of "CSI" -- Bella's owner argued that there's no way the doggy would have carried out the attack ... and then brought in several forensic experts -- including specialists in dog behavior and canine dentistry -- to back her story.

Ultimately, the experts paid off -- and the judge ruled that Bella could move back in with her owner ... instead of being put down.

Carlton -- who attended the six hour trial in person -- had no comment after the case.

J Simp

I love Vanessa's music. I am glad the dog was saved though. I don't think Vanessa is a dog hater either.

kalice

If the dog was a puppy then it was still losing its teeth. So the bite marks would change. I would never want to see the wrong dog put down. But how many big black pit bulls are in the area where she was running? Seems fishy. Hope he does not bite a child next time. I love dogs but not their stupid owners. Why do so many people choose that dog? There are how many dog breeds? They may be loving to their owners but they are as strong as a tank.

mish

first you don't start by calling people morons!second I was in the court room too and yu are some what def your self! the trainer was certified, having viewed her paper work myself, and if there was no doubt it was bella, the judge would have found them guilty on all charges. your sure you were in the right court room?

Duckweed

It'd be a better story if she were pregnant with Mike Vick's baby - after they boned, they went out on a killing spree and killed all the pitbulls and the the last remaining pitbull was the one that bit her and it was a fight to the death. Vick tried to save her but he was killed by a bite to the nuts and the Eagles are now in need of a new QB so they sign Jake Delhomme, who is absolutely horrible and the Eagles get their butts kicked by the Giants. Then Vanessa tried to taze the dog and the dog yelled out "Don't taze me bro!" and she tazed it as it flew through the air and bit one of her boobies. Then when the landed, the dog bit off her other booby. Then, when she gives birth to Vick's love child, the baby dies of starvation because she's too stupid to feed it formula.

That would've been cool.

Sarah

It's not her fault and it's not the dogs fault. It is the fault of the a-hole owner who doesn't know how to take care of and train a dog! We have two pits and all they would do is lick you to death if they got out. Be a responsible owner please!

Judy Bratis

Thank God Bella has such a great owner that would go to that length to save her life. I would do the same thing. My two English bulldogs are like my children and I would do anything to save them.

Miranda

I hate her she should be punched in the face!!!! Accuse a sweet puppy of biting her, right she deserves much more~~~ Stupid Ugly Girl

Casey

Anyone who wants a dog "put down" because it bites you while jogging is an A-Hole. I don't care if the dog bites 5,000 other people- it's ridiculous that people are so eager to murder a dog for a bite, but people who murder their entire families don't even get the death penalty. Good for the dog- I hope she lives a long wonderful life!!!

JUNE H. DENOMIE

OBVIOUSLY, VANESSA CARLTON WAS SEARCHING FOR A PUBLICITY STUNT, TRYING TO KEEP HERSELF IN THE PUBLIC EYE!!! WELL VANESSA, IT DIDN'T WORK!!! YOU WERE CAUGHT IN THIS LIE!!!! VANESSA WAS OR IS A SPOKESPERSON FOR PETA, AND IS SUPPOSED TO LOVE ANIMALS, AND ANIMAL WRIGHTS, BUT SHE SUES BELLA'S OWNER FOR A "CRIME" THAT BELLA DIDN'T COMMIT???!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!! VANESSA YOU ARE A COWARD, AND A BULLY FOR DOING THIS TO BELLA, AND HER OWNERS!!!! I HOPE EVERY ORGANIZATION LIKE PETA, AND OTHERS THAT USE YOUR NAME FOR PUBLICITY, WRITE YOU OFF, AND CONSIDERS YOU A LIABILITY!!! SHAME ON YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!!! YOU ALMOST MADE BELLA PAY WITH HER LIFE FOR SOMETHING SHE NEVER DID!!!!!

Witness to Court

I was in the court room too and the defendant did not have to PROVE that it was NOT Bella, the defendant just had to prove that there was reasonable doubt.

If the injury was so bad, how come she had all the energy in the world to go and have an argument with the owner? This really ends it for me. If I had a bad dog bite, I would have been at an emergency room. AND she wasn't at an emergency room, she was at an urgent care center when she eventually got there.

I am not absolving the family of responsibility to keep their dog in a fenced-in area IF it was their dog. IF it was their dog, dogs that nip are usually a bit neglected looking for attention. Electric fences don't work.

How dare you say the judge did not follow the law! This judge had incredible insight and I am so proud that we have him nearby, a genius. The dog needed to be released to the family. With no real proof that it was their dog, they should not even get a ticket. To say it looked like their dog is not proof. THAT is following the law.

Witness to Court

I was responding to comment #15

Marla

@ Real Deal....Wow..you are a BIGOT you do realize that don't you. Dont bother wasting your time feeling sorry for all of us out there that are not prejudice and would rather place judgement on Pitbulls for their individual actions instead of just lumping them all together for the action of a few...There are millions of Pitbulls living with loving families all over the world and Yes some of the do attack (a few a year) but what about the rest of them that are therapy dogs, show dogs, police dogs, search and rescue dogs...YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL SORRY FOR US! WE SHOULD FEEL SORRY FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN IF YOU HAVE ANY..YOU ARE THE SMALL CLOSED MINDED BIGOT...NOT ME!!!!!!

PEACE,LOVE AND PITBULLS...

KG

She knew she was lying from the very beginning about someone's family pet's life or death; how can you know that about yourself and not have trouble sleeping? Do I think the owners of the dog should have had Bella under control? Yes! Any owner of a bully breed, no matter how sweet your dog is, needs to be compassionate of society's fear and the general image that these dogs have been given over years of mistreatment and use for fighting! Owning a dog like this is a HUGE responsibility, but being out of the limelight and making up a story to get yourself back in the news is disgraceful!

Ben

They really should kill the bitch for being that ugly. Seriously, that face deserves to be punched in until gone from this world.

Please sign a petition to have that Vanessa beat to death. God bless.

Vanessa, you are very ****ing ugly. I want to watch you killed. Amen.

Mark

If that mut bit me when im jogging id give it my vigalante boot in the head, i hate muts