Ellen DeGeneres

Votes Herself Off 'American Idol'

7/29/2010 9:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's one and done for Ellen DeGeneres -- she's leaving "American Idol" after her first season as a judge on the show ... claiming it wasn't the "right fit."

0729_ellen_degeres_BN_Getty_3

Ellen just tweeted, "Dim the lights ... I've voted myself off American Idol."

Ellen claims she came to her decision, "a couple months ago" -- and admits, "It was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings."

She concludes, "I am very grateful for the year I had. I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to be."

UPDATE: TMZ has confirmed reports that "Idol" is tapping Jennifer Lopez. We're told the ink may not be dry on the deal yet, but J.Lo is definitely the pick ... and the deal is all tied to Ellen's departure.

bring back recent posts

...bring in Snooki and The Situation...they cld pump the ratings up ..for sure!

JANDEAN61

WHATS UP MOTHERF'S...I need more LiLo news ! when is she getting out ?

bec

Wow... so many negative and anti gay comments. The woman stayed true to herself and realized it wasn't a good fit...she's moving on. In response to those who think she is too old, Really? Your life would suck without us "old" people. To you who have an issue with the gay thing... grow up.

JANDEAN61

WORD UP. I THINK ITS COOL

Thanks Ellen

Ellen is a class act. I am glad she did it this way. Love her daytime show.

MDS

her no talent azz should never had been on it. What a waste

dan

We want Howard Stern for American Idol

linusik

Good call, Ellen <3 and **** some people annoy the **** out of me here ... "dyke", "too old" ,etc ... why don't you look in a mirror before you judge people and then go and **** yourself 'cause obviously nobody else would a **** a hater like you ...

Muppet

While I think she did a good job on the show you could tell that she really didn't want to have to tell people their singing was crap. Good for her for admitting that's not her personality.

ntvnat

First adding Cara (a 4th judge), fine (not good, but probably not bad). But then no Paula (bad), then adding Ellen (worse), then no Simon (worst!!!), now no Ellen (doesnt' matter either way), a possible Jessica Simpson (yuck). Tsk. The show's falling apart!

You people are SUCKERS if you watched past the first day Ellen signed
on.

Muppet

...bring in Snooki and The Situation...they cld pump the ratings up ..for sure!

Posted at 5:21 PM on Jul 29, 2010 by bring back recent posts

I think alot of people would stop watching if that were the case. Most people want to listen to someone with an IQ over 10.

Muppet

Posted at 5:23 PM on Jul 29, 2010 by bec

Well said!!!

simon

Let me preface this with I really do like Ellen. Extremely talented woman. However, I don't believe this was her choice. The former runner of AI said months ago he would ditch the whole panel if he could and he is back at the helm as of a couple of days ago. Secondly, she had no value on this show; good as she is; there is nothing she can add. Fox gave her the ability to go out gracefully, that's all.

Truth

HER CREDIBILITY IN THE MUSIC BIZ WAS SHOT FROM THE BEGINNING. EVERY1 SAID SHE WAS A LAME ASS AND TOTALLY OUT OF PLACE BEFORE SHE EVEN SAT DOWN. TOTALLY UNFUNNY, NON MUSICALLY TALENTED BITCH. ALL SHE DID WAS REPEAT RANDY JACKSON'S COMMENT EVERY FREAKIN SHOW!!! HOW LAME IS THAT. SCRAP THE ENTIRE PANEL. SOUNDS LIKE NIGEL LYTHGO IS COMING BACK TO RAISE HELL. YESSS!!!! SHOW SUCKS AND TOTALLY TANKS IN TALENT AND RATINGS. CAN THIS SUCKER!!! I'M MORE INTERESTED IN COWELL'S XFACTOR USA, EVEN THO THE TALENT POOL IN THE US HAS GONE TO CRAPPERS. THEY ARE FISHING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL ALREADY. I SEE MUCK!!

LaGrl

First good decision she made since joining Idol. She was pathetic and boring!