'American Idol' Back-Up Plan -- Shania Twain

8/12/2010 4:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" sources tell TMZ ... the Jennifer Lopez deal isn't dead yet, but if it does flatline ... "Idol's" next choice is country star Shania Twain.

Shania Twain American Idol
Shania was a hit on "Idol" this past season when she served as guest judge and mentor.

We're told Shania is Plan B.

TMZ has a thought ... What about Britney Spears? She's fun, she kinda knows music and you never know when she'll go off the hinges. And she's endlessly entertaining. Just sayin' ...

Justsayin

i have thought all along that Shania and or Harry Connick were the best choices to be judges.

stevenjaba

Ugh - I really want AI judges to be able to form a coherent sentence and give actual, helpful feedback. So, no thank you to Britney, Paula, Randy, and Steven Tyler.

Chris S

I'll watch it just for Shania, J.Lo not so much

DM

Shania, Really??? She's lived in Switzerland for how long now? Hasn't released an album since I think 2005 (and that was a "Greatest Hits") so not much of anything new has come from her in a long, long time except in the UK and Europe. AI has seemed to have run its course. I say this is a good time to say good-bye. Follow Simon's and Ellen's lead!

anon

Shania???? Your kidding right? BORING she added nothing to IDOL last year but if your looking for manufactured singers then she would be a good bet as would Britney & JLO. NO natural voice talent & none of these three have any wit or humour.

The show is about to tank & big time.

haha

What's up with that photo? JL looks like a mannequin with no eyeballs. Really creepy.

Sam

Idol needs Micheal Jacson,oh **** hes dead,umm what about some loser then i dont give a fck im not watching

sam

Jlo is too high maintenance and I don't think she would be worth whatever they are going to pay her. She just loves herself too much.

Lynds28

Shania definately. And come on TMZ own up Britney Spears was never your idea someone emailed in with the suggestion and got a heap of praise off Harvey for it.

Lil

No way will I watch this woman with all her country crap. It will be shoved down our throats plus she is boring.I was not in the mood to see jlo also with all her ethnic crap.
I have not enjoyed this show and only watched it last season every few weeks to see how its going and this would be the final nail in the coffin for that show for me.
Now, Britney I would watch it just to see her. I loved Brittney back in the day. I know shes a whack job now from drugs but hopefully she could be coherent for this?

anna

Shania is the best choice ever – she is not exactly country singer – she was mostly loved by pop audience. She is a musician and songwriter that knows about singing and music industry, she is no drinker or drug user, she is cute and well spoken...she was never selfish and self-absorbed...she was always promoting the young talents during her concerts – that is how the career of Avril Lavigne started.

The only thing is ...she does not like that all hollywood glamour, I don't think she will sacrifice her privacy for AI.

Elizabeth from California

I agree with "Sebastian Canada" - Shania actually KNOWS music.. She wrote (not just the lyrics) the music to her first couple of albums.
- THEN AGAIN *American Idol* IS SUCH A JOKE, ANWAY! -
it's like the world's biggest Karaoke show.

dave

are you guys insane? Britney spears is the best suggestion i heard since Howard. you don't know what the hell is gonna happen next with this girl, it's t.v. gold! the show is done anyway might as well go out with a Brittney spears moment

Di-di

J-ho and Britney are jokes......right. The diva and the nutball. Shania is a doll and very talented.

One judge's spot, should be an open seat for a different celeb every show.

I LOVE the show and Harvey!!!! Rock on!!!

Jill Conway

Stick a fork in AI - this way-overdone show needs to END.