Dr. Ryan's Cause of Death -- Blunt Force Trauma

8/17/2010 3:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Frank Ryan died of "blunt force head injuries" ... this according to the Ventura County Medical Examiner's Office ... which just completed an autopsy on the famous surgeon.

0817_frank_ryan_EX_TMZ_04
As for toxicology results ... officials tell TMZ the process usually takes "about 8 weeks" before anything can be determined.

As TMZ first reported, Dr. Ryan -- the surgeon who operated on a slew of famous Hollywood stars -- died yesterday after his Jeep veered off Pacific Coast Highway and rolled down a cliff.

Movie Fan

Dr. Ryan was not just a "boob job" guy. He donated his time to many charities, he did free tatoo removals for former gang members, he opened up his ranch to children's groups, and he welcomed thousands of disadvanted children to his ranch over the years. RIP

mustang

Well, blunt force trauma may have took his life, but other factors caused it. I'm sure they will be thorough, and look at all possibilities such as a heart attack. Alcohol to me doesn't seem logical, water yes, alcohol no, not after walking up a dune. He was a smart guy, and new how to take care of himself. I would be surprised if he were drunk. Very surprised!

Truth

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN DRIVE ALONG THE PCH. CAUSE OF DEATH?? TEXTING & TWEETING! RESULT?? BLUNT FORCE "DRAMA".

KARMA'S A BITCH!!!!!!!

anon

Again I am so sorry this happened. I wish yesterday never happened and he was alive today. He didn't deserve this nor his family, staff and friends. My heart breaks for you Dr. Ryan and I pray Jill will be o.k. and heal quickly. Terrible loss and saddness.

nv89436

I'm guessing he was sober, but texting.

H

Texts posted close to accident? Texting and driving?

DC

I'm so sad for him and his poor little dog. I can't believe the horrible comments I'm seeing here. This man lost his life and his dog wound up in the ocean, seriously injured. Then we get #6's comment and the like. You people are truly the ones to be mourned. RIP, Dr. Ryan. You will be missed.

DC

@#6 I made a reference to Post 6, but when I got back here, it was removed, so now yours is 6. I wasn't referring to your post -- my apologies.

Shawn

nobody cares

Debbie

All this speculation is moot. A good man, son, cousin, nephew has died. His family has experienced so much lose I pray to God they can survive another lose.

Seriously?

TMZ, will you please update us regarding his dog that survived but was badly injured?

Babs

I don't think people are judging with texting as the cause of death, it's just a reminder that you cannot do two things at once. You take your eyes off the road and put them on your phone, you're going to have an accident. He could have run in to a pedestrian, or a bicyclist, or a family driving to the beach. If he was texting, as it appears he may have been due to the time stamp on the multiple texts and the time of the accident, he was reckless and he paid the ultimate price.

Pete McCheat

He must not have been that big of a celebrity. How could they do his autopsy in a day? It took a month to get Micheal Jacksons Autopsy report.

grady

"after his Jeep veered off the highway"? who was driving? The doctor or the Jeep? What stupid reporting. Accidents happen...or do they?

Blue

Instead of toxocology test maybe they should be looking at his phone records. He would not be the first person to die from texting/tweeting while driving. It happens alot more than most people think.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments