Robert Schimmel Dies

9/4/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Robert Schimmel died last night in a Phoenix hospital from injuries he sustained in a car accident last week. He was 60 years old.

0904_robert_schimmel_BN_getty
As TMZ first reported, Schimmel was the passenger in a serious car accident after his daughter, who was driving at the time, swerved to avoid an accident. She's still in the hospital, but we're told she'll be ok.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

VinVirginia

RIP, we saw you in NYC in January and you were fantastic, have always loved your comedy. Thank you so much for a lot of laughs over the years. Hope you and Mitch Hedberg get to hang in heaven...what a show that would be!

JJ

RIP & God Bless your family.

Floridagirl

How very, very sad. I got to know him on the Stern show and just loved his honesty and take on life. He knew how to laugh at himself and in doing so, made us all feel better about dealing with our own hardships. I hope his daughter gets through this okay. It was not your fault. You were trying to protect your loved ones by avoiding an accident. Your dad would not want you to be all messed up for the rest of your life because of this. Goodbye Bob. You will be missed.

MyKinKStar

I remember laughing and laughing sooo hard watching his routine on an HBO concert years ago. Just couldn't stop and catch a breath from his honesty! Bless you sweet man, with thanks.

Dearest Daughter, your Daddy loved you and knows what happened wasn't on purpose. Don't you dare let this mess up your path! You go on your way, remembering all he taught you until now.

James

Bob was a amazingly funny guy and my favortite comedian...I am saddened and heart broken for his family....Heres to having a mountain lion as a pet! RIP Bob

Mystique

WOW!!! IT'S HEARTBREAKING. SO SAD!!!

R.I.P. ROB.

diogenes

He was a very funny family man. Humor that applies to every day life.

Elli

I thought he was funny when I listened to him on the Stern show. I'm sad to here of his passing & my thought are with his family. <3

Elli

*hear

kaitlin

strange sick guy, wouldn't want to know him but it's still sad. worse for his daughter. he kinda made my skin crawl....

lita

This man has been through so much. How tragic that, despite a gallant battle with cancer, his life should end this way. I always watched for his television appearances, as far too infrequent they were. I will miss him.

BobinYuma

Funniest comedian I ever saw live. Saw him in Tempe, AZ at the Improv. Sad.

KnowMuch

This sucks! So glad I got to meet him & get his autograph. Genually, a great entertainer.

Libbe

RIP Bob

I really wish all these reports would stop mentioning the teenage daughter. Poor thing is going to have such guilt from this already....

R

This is very sad. He was a fantastic comedian. I started watching him back when he appeared on Rodney Dangerfield's comedy show back in the 80's.
I recently (within the last month) heard a radio interview with him. He had me in stiches.
He appearently had a bad time with cancer and beat it, now this. Our prayers are with his family.