Robert Schimmel Dies

9/4/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Robert Schimmel died last night in a Phoenix hospital from injuries he sustained in a car accident last week. He was 60 years old.

0904_robert_schimmel_BN_getty
As TMZ first reported, Schimmel was the passenger in a serious car accident after his daughter, who was driving at the time, swerved to avoid an accident. She's still in the hospital, but we're told she'll be ok.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

sonnydazenow

really funny and personally really likeable guy. He will be missed

judi

What a loss. He was a VERY funny man...

Deborah

Made me laugh until my belly ached. What a great talent. What a great loss.

Michael

He was one of my favorite comedians. On one of his CDs he did a bit about teaching his daughter how to drive... WOW

Jeff Becker

The first time I saw Robert Schimmel I almost blacked out I was laughing so hard. He was an incredible talent that I wish more people could have enjoyed. Really sad, really sad.

matt

I live in Arizona - I GUARANTEE the out of control driver was an illegal alien. We see this so much in Arizona, we are just immune to it. Illegals with no licenses cause so much death and destruction on the road here, it's sad.

But you liberals love them here, so at least they took one of your own.

ThaJackaL

wow im so sadden by this news... I've been a fan of his for years, and will miss his comedy, and amazing wit.

Such a terrible loss for the comedy world... He was a very underrated comedian.

Kris S

If his best work was for Howard Stern then I guess it is no great loss.... wish Stern was with him

Chuck

I live in Phoenix and know this highway; it's a deathtrap. It's a shame that the world lost Bob all because of some ***hole driving erratically in an SUV. The guy had the nerve enough to leave the scene of the crime but was caught later on.I swear; Phoenix has some of the most arrogant-careless drivers in the US.

RIP Bob

Cindy

I pray that his daughter will lots of support. This is going to be very hard on her.

Big Mamma Cornbread

Bless his soul ....

This End Up

"Enjoy every sandwich!" This guy had it tough, and was too funny to go out this way after what he had been through.

solar panel

Really unfortunate outcome but when you're driving and you need to avoid an accident, you do what's best, and avoiding one thing means getting into another situation instantly. It can be luck of the draw what happens next, when it's all so fast. Hope she's got lots of good people around her now.

annie

I love Robert, such an awesome comeian. Heaven is really havin a party now. Rest in peace. Prayers for his family are being sent.

annie2

by Derek Quizon - Sept. 4, 2010 03:07 PM
The Arizona Republic
The Department of Public Safety released some details Saturday about the crash that killed comedian Robert Schimmel.

The Scottsdale resident, best known for his frequent appearances on the Howard Stern Show and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," died Friday night at John C. Lincoln Medical Center in north Phoenix.

The accident occurred on the 101 freeway in Scottsdale last Thursday, according to DPS spokesman Bart Graves.

Schimmel, his 11-year-old son and his 19-year-old daughter Aliyah, the driver of the vehicle, were seriously injured when their Honda coupe was run off the road by an out-of-control SUV, Graves said. Their car landed in a concrete drainage ditch on the side of the road.

The driver of the SUV fled the scene of the accident but was arrested later that evening, Graves said.

Schimmel was reportedly in "very serious" condition in the week following the accident. Aliyah Schimmel is still at Scottsdale Osborn hospital in stable condition. The boy was not seriously injured.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident.

The 60-year-old comedian has been a frequent guest on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and on Howard Stern's radio show. His 2008 memoir, "Cancer on $5 a Day," chronicles his battle with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

______________________________

Sounds like even the most experienced driver might not have been able to avoid this. I barely knew who he was (never listened to Stern) but it makes even ME want to write the girl a condolence note telling her to not blame herself...this could have happened to any one of us! Perhaps if this guy had a fan club then some of his fans can do this for her and her brother. Poor kids...