LFO Lead Singer

Dies

9/8/2010 11:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rich Cronin from the '90s boy band LFO died today after a long fight with leukemia ... TMZ has learned.

0908-rich-cronin-ex-getty-credit
Rich -- who wrote LFO's hit "Summer Girls" in 1999 -- suffered a stroke after a lengthy battle with leukemia, according to his brother.  We're told he passed away in a hospital this afternoon.

Cronin was 35.

See also

Trisha

Only 35 years old, how sad. I have a family friend who is battling leukemia and pray he doesn't lose his fight as well. It is an ugly ugly disease. RIP Rich.

kickaboo

Sympathies to his family, friends and fans. RIP, Rich.

Sassy

I remember LFO! Summer Girls was a fun song, nice, easy beat and something cool to bop to.

My sympathies to his family and friends. So young.......

Maggie

Rich had made me laugh so hard every single time I listened to this interview with Howard Stern. I rolled over laughing the first time I listened to it. What an amazing man!
Here is the link to the interview:

Name

So sad to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with all of his family and friends. I miss the good old days of '90 pop, and I will never forget their "Summer Girls" song. :-)

I Luv TMZ

Sorry, I never heard of LFO or this guy. RIP anyway. Way too young.

MJ Fan

He will TRULY be missed...He never got the amount of Fame and respect he deserved. He was a true artist with a passion for music...This is truly a shocking day, last thing i read, he was in remission...RIP Rich. ‎"now I can't forget you and it makes me mad ... left one day and never came back ... "

michelle

This is very sad news. He looked completely different from his LFO days and now. Hope he is in a better place.

Muppet

So sad, way too young. RIP

Erin

This is so, so sad. Thirty-five and a five-year battle with leukemia...unbelievably sad.

As for the picture, he was probably puffy for the last couple of years - oftentimes leukemia patients can't take the treatment without having kidney issues. Poor guy. My love goes out to the family and friends. LOVED "Be Mine".

Zip

His face, in the photo, was obviously swelling due to the medication used to treat his disease. I have seen him in countless interviews, post music career, mostly, and he was always a gentleman, kind, loving, intelligent, and someone who had a great sense of humor. To both him, and his family, I am so sorry this happened. He is in God's arms now, and will know the life that he should have known on this planet, he will know great happiness, now--and forever!!!

EDITA ON STEROIDS

People have really great things to say about him, its good that he will be remembered that way. I also loved that song and we played that tape out that summer, go with god.

MJFan4Life

Remember seein' him on Mission Man Band. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. My thoughts are with him and his family during this time.

EDITA ON STEROIDS

@ZIP, what you said was beautiful Im sure his family would appreciate it. . . . . ."To both him, and his family, I am so sorry this happened. He is in God's arms now, and will know the life that he should have known on this planet, he will know great happiness, now--and forever!!!"

tori

Very sad news when someone who had so much left to live for passes away. The song brings back many happy memories all these years later. Terrible disease,prayers and lots of love to his family on this tragic loss.