Meg Whitman's Housekeeper: Undocumented

9/29/2010 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Meg Whitman's former housekeeper was an undocumented worker and claims working for the Republican candidate for Governor was a "nightmare."

092810_gloria_presser_video
Nicky Diaz Santillan, Whitman's housekeeper of 9 years, held a news conference with her lawyer, Gloria Allred, and claims Whitman had all the clues she was an undocumented worker but closed her eyes to it because she was cheap help ... $23 an hour.

Allred claims the housekeeper was "exploited, disrespected, humiliated and emotionally and financially abused" by Whitman.

Allred claims when the housekeeper was hired 9 years ago through an agency, Whitman never asked if she was in the U.S. legally.  And, during her employment, Santillan told Whitman she couldn't travel to Mexico.  And, Allred said, Whitman found out Santillan's Social Security number didn't match her name, but Whitman did nothing.  Allred said it's the classic case of "don't ask, don't tell."

0929_whitman_debate_videoThat all changed, Allred says, when Whitman launched her campaign for Governor, realizing having an illegal alien on board was a liability ... and fired her.

Santillan says Whitman treated her "like a piece of garbage" by letting her go.

Allred says Santillan is filing a claim with the Labor Commission for back wages and mileage.

Yesterday, Whitman said in the debate with Jerry Brown that employers should be held accountable for hiring undocumented workers.

Click here to read Gloria's written statement.

Stefanie

I feel for Nicky bit she is an illegal!!!! She can sue!? WTH? If you are not legal in the U.S. get out!!!!!!!!!!! I am tired of paying your medical bills, home bills, food stamps, and now legal fees! Are you Sh&**ing me!? This woman was trated likie crap from her employer and I sympathize but you are ILLEGAL!

Julie

$23 per hour? Are you kidding me? Where do I go to apply? I live in Jacksonville, FL, and right now I'm working for $10 an hour and I do windows and toilets and will clean up anything you ask me to. I don't get milage. Really, how many people get milage to get to and from work? I recomend the maid gets sent back to her homeland.

mary

This is disgusting
23$ is more than the average college graduate makes
More than our men and women serving in the military
California is an at will state
You can be fired at anytime unless you have a contract
Nothing Meg whitman did was wrong if she fired her because she was undo***ented than so what she has that right to do so
This is a non issue
Anything involving Glorai Allred I find highly suspicious

Anonymous

My mom worked until age 63 and never made $ 23 an hour. That's good bank for a housekeeper working in a million dollar mansion.

Plus if the housekeeper lied and used a false social security #, I think she's the one who committed the crime.

Maybe I missed something but this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Snooozefest

RabbleRouser

Hahahhaha- this is getting even funnier.

Alfred's case has no legs; especially the allegation that she didn't ask Nickey her 'legal status'-which is against the law.

It is also against the law to terminate employment if a SSN doesn't match a name, since it can be an error on the end of the S.S. office with their issuance.

I hope the person that SSN belongs to sues her ass....but my guess it's probably one of her 'anchor babies' who birth the taxpayers of CA had to pay for.

Zinc

Wow. Apparently if you read these comments Republican equals racist nutball. Whitman is a joke. If y'all want to be taken seriously get a real candidate. This one is an expensive loser. It was fun to listen to Brown show clearly how inexperienced she really is.

ERKD

People posting here are jumping to the conclusion that the housekeeper banked $23/hour. READ the article; she was employed by an agency; the agency charged $23/hour for maids; and guess what? THAT'S BELOW MARKET.

Sheesh, people READ & THINK. This election is important.

J Roberts

$23.00 hr for house cleaning is very good wages. Maybe someone should check to see if she paid social security taxes and state and federal income tax on that amount. If not maybe she ought to be sent home.

I Chinee

@Hilarious, reading all those comments against that maid being a immigrant, as if THEIR OWN FAMILY WEREN'T IMMIGRANTS THEMSELVES! What, you're Native Americans now?!

Keep on making me laugh, America!

Posted at 11:24 AM on Sep 29, 2010 by MightyMad

Oh shut the **** up! We did not do anything! We can't help what the founding fathers did over 200 years ago! So thanks for the laugh *******, because obviously you are stuck in the past in some sort of twilight zone!

Terry

Why isn't ICE at the new conference arresting this woman for being in the US illegally?

Who is the felon here, Whitman or this illegal immigrant?

Rich

sounds to me like Whitman is a perfect candidate for an Obama cabinet post.

J

Gloria's BEST press conference ever. drama, drama.

mitch

I thought undo***ented workers (illegal) only did work Americans don't do. For $23.00 per hour I'll bet I could find you thousands of Americans to do this work.

mitch

Disgusted

She made 23 an hour and never paid any taxes on her income. What does she have to cry about? I think the state of California should make her pay back taxes for the last 9 years. I have to pay taxes, why doesn't she?