Laura Dern/Ben Harper Divorce Docs

10/12/2010 2:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained a copy of the divorce documents Ben Harper filed Friday, asking for a divorce from Laura Dern.

1012_harper_doc_launch_EX2

As we first reported, Ben claims he's been separated from Laura since January. Now we know the specific date -- Harper claims the date of separation is New Year's Day.

What's weird -- the couple has been living and traveling together all this year.

The significance of the date of separation is all about $$$.  When a couple is legally separated, their earnings become separate.  We're told Harper out-earns Dern by a lot.

Tammy

Having this happnen once is understandalbe, but twice. She thought everything was fine with Billy Bob and then he was with Angelina. There's something about Laura that a man can only take for so long and then he's just gone with no effort to work it out or anything. Weird.

Juli

"Nubian King", just so ya know, Ben Harper is a child of a mixed-marriage. Perhaps you should do research before commenting...

JUST SAYIN!!!!

JLS

This man is a real s*** sucking pig. Stop blaming Laura here. It's clear by the filing and the details of the subject filing that it's him that's trying to play with facts i.e. the date of separation and other stuff. He's just mean in an epic way.

Glenda

It must suck to be famous. Nothing is private in this world. The privacy act should include someones divorce papers. It's just none of our business.

t

Is it "National Dump Your Spouse Week" in Hollyweird this week? Whos next to announce a split??

TIGER IS MONEY

1. Billy Bob left Laura because Angelina is and always will be a homewrecker. It's what she does best. She did it to Laura, she did it Jennifer, she's done it time and time again. To blame Laura for that is ridiculous.

2. Ben Harper is obviously a piece of low-life s**t to walk away from his kids without saying a word, and for trying to get out of paying her a sum of money he has earned since January. Obviously with having witnesses attest to the fact that they've been together for all this time and way after January, he's just a s***bag trying to get out of child-support.

artie help

big deal, who is responsible for this obama ,bush maybe carter, but certainly not clinton, when the chickens come home to roost, you'll all be looking for dan quail.

emily

Laura Dern comes across as a desperate person he did good by dumping her.

noneofyourbusiness

I'm sure he has had a little honey on the side for sometime now...

Mikey

All these celebrities getting divorced at the same time. Sounds like a celebrity orgy gone wrong.

DC

TMZ posted that the Dern-Harper's and Cox-Arquette's were best friends. Now with it looking like Cox ended her marriage, are we to think Harper and Cox are a new coupling?

That would be shady but I've lost my interest in Ben Harper's music with this totally unbecoming news of his lack of character. I'll pay my money to people that can be respected on and off the stage, and take care of their own.

He doesn't come across well as saying they're separated but keeping her on the intimacy hook right up to the filing, taking her to weddings, traveling together, etc. And he didn't even sign the divorce docs. Just had his attorney type the name in. I'm ashamed today to say I was a fan of this guy's music. There are musicians out there who live right. Shocked to say Ben Harper isn't. And just two weeks ago he was here in my city with The President of the United States! Just a shame he's so shameful.

DC

I'm willing to accept that maybe she didn't want to hear any break up talk, but still, don't be intimate with, don't take people to weddings, and don't travel with people you want to be broken up with!

DC

Julia M.

Stop repeating that lie about Laura Dern's break-up with Thornton. Thornton rebutted her claim and said they broke up months before he got together with Jolie when Laura left to go on location. I think that was when he changed the locks on the house. Thornton certainly has more credibility than Dern at this point.

Everyone's divorce filings are part of the court record and publicly available through the clerk's office. Marriage is a civil contract sanctioned by the state government. Most courts are putting many of their records on line so trips to the courthouse aren't even necessary to retrieve some of this stuff. Some parts of the record can be sealed with a judicial order but the initial filing of divorce and orders dissolving a marriage is always public.

You know as someone who works hard for her own money I never have a problem when someone wants to protect their own earnings, especially from a former spouse. It doesn't mean he won't be a generous parent to his children. Dern can go make her own money.

BlancheDevereaux