Mel Gibson's 'Hangover' Replacement -- Liam Neeson

10/22/2010 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel's out, Liam's in -- after a huge backlash against Mel Gibson's would-be cameo role in "The Hangover 2" ... "A-Team" star Liam Neeson has been tapped to fill the role ... according to Variety.

1022_liam_mel_bn_getty_tmz
Liam tells Variety -- "I just got a call to do a one day shoot on 'Hangover' as a tattooist in Thailand ... that's all I know about it" ... and the whole deal went through his "A-Team" pal, Bradley Cooper.

As we first reported, Mel Gibson was 86'd from the role -- in which he would have played a tattoo artist -- after friends of the cast put political pressure on the actors to raise hell.

Among the ringleaders -- we're told,
Zach Galifianakis.

Kilmerfan

I don´t believe this story. There is something else going on.
Was Mel even contracted?

Posted at 12:38 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Kaprifol

Yeah I was thinking that too, it was timed right near Oksana’s Extortion going to the DA. That and the BIO special.

bob

Well, sequels usually are not nearly as good as the original film, so this may just be a ploy to give the film some ink. As they also say, any publicity is good publicity. All that being said, I think it sucks that Galifianakis and Cooper played a part in this Mel Gibson thing. To use a baseball term, it was a bush league move. I was looking forward to the movie because the original was terrific, but I think I'll pass.

FLO

According to US Magazine, the whole cast/crew said no to being associated with Mel's comeback. The wives probably had problems with the names he called the mother of his child, the threatson her life and his demands for blow jobs.

kickaboo

zach's mouth

igotfleasfromtmz

Might have to adjust that child support if Mel can't work.
Bet his lawyers are working on it now.

Super5

Who the F is Zach Galifianakis?

Tellthetruth59

what did you do to meltheloser today
looks like he burned his closet

Posted at 12:31 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by TMZgossip
---------------------------------

? You lost me TMZG. Elaborate before I call you a bigot *g*

Posted at 12:40 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Tellthetruth59
...

you didn't see his posts on the other hangover thread?

seems there is something weird about that thread
if i log out and back in, some times there is a difference of 40-50 posts

Posted at 12:44 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by TMZgossip
----------------------------------------

I think they were just deleting the ASCII finger posts. You have a different theory? We need a PM function.

michelle

Liam made a movie about saving jews, Schindler's List, and Mel made a movie about jews as murderers, The Passion. This has nothing to do with Oksana or the tapes.

Posted at 12:40 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Tammy
.............................................

Jewish people didn't kill The Christ Jesus
He was the final sin offering

kickaboo

shut up, you f*cking, c*** yells Zach to an audience member. classy

Googie

I don´t believe this story. There is something else going on.
Was Mel even contracted?

Posted at 12:38 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Kaprifol

I agree with Kaprifol. Love Liam, but I would have gone to see it with Mel. But can't see Liam as a tatooist in Thailand, not as funny & interesting as see Mel. Bad business move to replace Mel. It would have been a curiosity factor with Mel.

igotfleasfromtmz

god allowed Jesus to die. End of story

LISA

Having Mel in a cameo role of a tattoo artist was an inspired choice.

It's the film's loss to have buckled under pressure of a few distorted
individuals.

So, it's been a bad year for Mel as a result of Oksana's sick and greedy
personality. It will all be over soon, and Mel will come back huge!

Americans love to quickly destroy their heroes, and just as quickly
build them up when they've been wronged.

Nothing a bit of time won't fix. Love ya Mel!

christy

No way will I give a single dollar to this hypocritical bunch of juvinile idiots or the studio that is making it.

Posted at 12:37 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by SayWhat

DITTO TO INFINITY.

Clipboard

I am stoked that Mel isn't going to be in this! I would have lost mad respect for the people involved in making such a funny film if they kept him on. This is a guy who hides his racial slurs behind his alcoholism. He lost my accolades YEARS ago. His past antisemitic and other racial comments left my stomach to turn in disappointment at the mere mention of his name. I will never see or throw down money on another movie with his name attached. Ever. Period. I have no tolerance for his behavior. It's sad, he used to be awesome.

At least Liam has some class. I look forward to seeing this movie now!

Confused

what did you do to meltheloser today
looks like he burned his closet

Posted at 12:31 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by TMZgossip

TMZG--

That was so unfair--That was personnel and not fair. If you want to debate an issue, that is one thing but go for the facts.