Barney the Dinosaur - The Man Behind the Purple Mask

11/5/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The mystery is revealed! For the first time in the history of the universe (we might be guessing here) TMZ has obtained footage of Barney the purple dinosaur ... UNMASKED!!!

1105_joyner_video_launch_EX2
David Joyner -- who wore the famous purple Barney suit for 14 years -- crossed the finish line yesterday in Santa Monica after biking an incredible 4,000 km from Alberta Canada to L.A.

It was all part of Ride for the Red -- a charity fundraiser to benefit the American Red Cross -- and despite the exhausting expedition, dude still hasn't lost his jolly side ... telling us, "It's all for the kids."

Cella

I remember seeing unmasked him years ago but I can't remember where. He was talking about how heavy that Barney costume was and all the jumping around he had to do in it.

Spewb

That's great! OMG Barney is the Bomb! David is so adorable!

LTBK

My now 17 year old niece LOVED him when she was around 2 and 3 yrs old. Could not get enough of watching Barney over and over. Then she saw a REALLY sorry excuse for Barney at a street festival and was terrified of him ever after.

Anna

Oh he's cute, I think I'm in love!!!

Hey Now

Hey--Barney's a cutie under all that purple. Who knew?

Sunshine

Cool.
Barney was a great "babysitter"

Cella

Natasha

He must know Demi Lamato and Selena Gomez- Former Barney Girls!

BlahBlahBlah

@ #8... we heard you the first time!

Scout

WOW, after all the crap I keep reading about these nasty ass thug rappers, a real black man steps up to the challenge and does something worthy...for, guess who?...Others in need! I am impressed. Your the man Mr. Joyner. Keep up the great work. How refreshing....

Doran

Props to Barney.

But the questions he was asked in the video were beyond stupid. Whoever asked those questions, do us all a favor and cut out your own tongue.

mama9

oh Barney, I have loved you and cursed you depending on the child and how many times we watch you that day. lol I can't remember how many years now, the kids are grown but we still have the videos (yes vhs) that I now watch with my grandson.

jxtr

My kids and I enjoyed watching Barney. That was a terrific kid show.

diogenes

My Jack Russel has a talking Barney (children are grown and gone)Ever so often I hear "Hello to all my friends" when He plays with Barney.

Kathie

When I first saw the pic I thought it was of Will Smith with a brain injury....

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments