'Ugly Betty' Actor: I 'Killed the Demon Inside' My Mom

11/26/2010 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Brea -- the small-time actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty" -- has an explanation for (allegedly) killing his mother with a sword: "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her."

1123-mike-break-bn-facebook-03

In a frightening interview with the NY Daily News, from the prison ward at Bellevue Hospital, Brea explained how God came to him in his sleep and told him it was to be his last day on Earth.

He recalls how he left his apartment because a man was trying to put a curse on him, and while riding the train to Brooklyn, he explains, "I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful ... They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

By the time Michael returned home he knew he was going to kill his mother.  When she asked him to pour water from a pot in which she was cooking chicken, Michael attacked her with a sword, believing a demon had taken hold of her soul.

Michael says, "I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me ... I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

azlee

Not all schizophrenia suffers are violent. I wish they would print more, like was the person off their meds. Were they self treating themselves with illegal drugs.

It gives people a fear of the mentally ill and most of those that suffer from it are so lonely because everyone is afraid.

It is sad that the illness does this to people, there are many types of schizophrenia and people also need to realize that if you do drugs you can become this because of the drugs.

I feel for this man when the psychosis lifts and he realizes he killed his mom. He doesn't even realize it yet. It makes me cry for the people with it and pray harder for a cure.

I feel for the mother has in her horror she realized what was happening and not being able to stop it. It is a horrible disease but please don't think all schizophrenia sufferers are this way.

azlee

My son has some voices, he has schizophrenia. He has a voice of a young lady, one of a middle age man and one that is a mean voice. Yells mean things at him all the time. He also gets messages. When the meds are working they are quieted where he can try not to listen to them. If the meds are working they they all talk at once and confuse him. If he goes off his meds it is a long walk back to being stablized.

It is a very sad illness, it is very real to them. Whether they think they are cia/fbi, jesus, or an alien .....they think they are helping the world. They live in a life of paranoia and delusions.

A dr described it to me this way. If you stand in a store with 50 tv's on, you see them all as a different set and no to little sound. To a person with schizophrenia that same 50 tv's is like 100, all on a different channel and all of them with the volume turned all the way up. That is how they see the every day life.

Lynn M

He doesn't have an IMDb page so we really don't know much about him or his background. It's sad and it seems he still believes his delusion.

Come on

I am very sorry to hear about your son. Like i said this illness starts out at a very young age for some but for others it is usually in early adulthood from late teens and sometimes into their early 20's. I think this guy either has it or he was severely on drugs. He is not just going to start hearing voices and hallucinating at age 31.

Come on

"Onset by Age -- Three-quarters of persons with schizophrenia develop the disease between 16 and 25 years of age. -- Onset is uncommon after age 30, and rare after age 40."

Bug

He's an actor...a storyteller. He prolly hated his mom and now wants to get off. Not gonna happen...I don't think.

B

This is a clear case of delusional schizophrenia. With correct treatment this man can be "quasi" normal. In his delusion, he hears voices and right now in his current state he does not realize he has killed his mother. With medication Ie: risperdal etc he will come down to earth and realize what has happened and the guilt will mortify him. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. He wont understand how he could have done such a thing. It probably will be a worse sentence than anyone could ever receive.

chick

What a disturbing story. How can he spoiled a half way cooked chicken?

Come on

Like I said he did not "just snap" as another poster said above, this is a classic case of delusional schizophrenia and i would be willing to bet anything he has had it for a very long time and just did not tell anyone or only those close to him knew about it.

Jackie

WOW!!!...EVERY STORY WHICH IS DISTURBING COMES FROM THE LAND OF "HEROES"...WOW!

Joao

Most of you have already read between the lines, this one was too easy. Obviously, his attorney has rigged the insanity defense, so he has instructed him to talk crazy to the media... Probably his best performance, foruntately, it'll be his last.

I've noticed that Demons, Satan or Crack-Cocaine never tells nuts to hurt anyone who can can beat the crap out of them Funny how "insanity" works.

Trecee

Lord almighty....this Is his way of getting his charges reduced and YOU KNOW he's going to claim insanity.....he's an actor not a mentally ill patient and hope the courts and jury see that he's playing this card and is just a cold blooded killer

Anne

Shivers. I can't imagine that woman's last moments on earth. That poor woman.

I adopted a couple a child who was taken from his mother because she thought that the kids were possessed and was threatening to kill them. So many sick people in the world.

JLo on Steroids

Dont blame the News, shame on him for killing his mother. I cant believe people clicked the like button on this story.

lazonia

if he thought God was talking to him, he would have never told him to kill his mother. Stupid Ass.