'Ugly Betty' Actor: I 'Killed the Demon Inside' My Mom

11/26/2010 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Brea -- the small-time actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty" -- has an explanation for (allegedly) killing his mother with a sword: "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her."

1123-mike-break-bn-facebook-03

In a frightening interview with the NY Daily News, from the prison ward at Bellevue Hospital, Brea explained how God came to him in his sleep and told him it was to be his last day on Earth.

He recalls how he left his apartment because a man was trying to put a curse on him, and while riding the train to Brooklyn, he explains, "I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful ... They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

By the time Michael returned home he knew he was going to kill his mother.  When she asked him to pour water from a pot in which she was cooking chicken, Michael attacked her with a sword, believing a demon had taken hold of her soul.

Michael says, "I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me ... I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

irish35

I do wish, however, that anyone with delusions and reads this will take it under advisement and make sure they never get to that place in their delusions. Ask for help even if the paranoia or the voices say don't.

It's hard to do it when you are bad off, but do it.

Posted at 12:30 PM on Nov 26, 2010 by azlee

Don't agree with this. If your son truly suffers from full blown paranoid schizophrenia, like my son, who was first diagnosed at 18, then you know they have absolutely no control over what is happening to them. Their minds disconnect from reality sans the audio and visual hallucinations and psychotic delusions. My son didn't even recognize me, how in the hell would he or anyone going through a psychotic break be able to overcome or not yield to their delusions. Please don't give advise such as you gave, it is wrong.

Mike

Strange how noone thought to find out what the stranger he met could have spun on this guy. Whether, he was induced, and hypnotized.Demons and devils and withcraft, seemed to place a spin on his mind. Provide all the details TMZ
Sounds like the MK ULTRA, BLUE BIRD, found its way in Showbiz. Take a look around at all the murders, and situations. Someone spinning them all! WAKE UP!

Macker1283

This guy had such a big role on Ugly Betty that a search of youtube of "Michael Brea Ugly Betty" literally results in no clip of him on the show. Why is the media playing up this aspect of this case?

Zina

This guy is smart enough to fool some people. If this story is true, it is very likely that he got in a fight with his mother, and this is the only way he can come clean by a fake story. He is an actor!

JasonBR

Lock this usless human up for good. Grown man, actor, living with his mother? How pathetic. She must've been a good women to let that piece of sh*t live with her still. RIP!

jjfromnyc

i really wish all media would stop describing him as an "Ugly Betty" actor - he was an extra - not even listed on imdb - prob once - i think the producers of "Ugly Betty" should put an end to this - every article is headlined with that - if i did this, would they say "Food Emporium" shopper? - i mean, really?

Come on

To #92 and #93. You more than likely do not even know what "pure-O" OCD is...I do and have lived with it for many years and it is a very serious mental illness. Where in my post did I say that is what this dude has? I did not, all I was saying is that speaking from experience mental illness is very hard to deal with. If you don't know what pure-o OCD is and I don't expect you to because only those who have it know what its like then look into it. Its thoughts and obsessions and they are very real to the sufferer, OCD is much more than just hand washing, counting, rituals and all the classic stuff you see in DOCS and stuff like that. Look up OCD intrusive thoughts and imagine yourself living with that 24/7 and tell me you would love life. I have said consistently on here that this guy obviously is schizophrenic and that i can relate because i suffer from a mental illness albeit nothing as severe as this dudes.

Come on

#105 do some research he is NOT "right on age" as it is very uncommon to get schizophrenia after the age of 30 especially being a male!

Hime

a) how can it only be second degree?
b) this is why creatures are dumb as human beings cannot be trusted with this mass hatred assembly some call religion.

he deserves the death penalty even though I'm 99.9% against it. But obviously he is cuckoo so he won't get it. Pathetic man.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

has anyone considered that maybe she was evil and had the devil in her and she needed to be put down to save the world from mass destruction?
maybe he is a hero
maybe he can see into the 5th demension and saw her for what she was...
I have seen the exorcist and one flew over the cookoos nest and consider myself an expert in this feild
maybe he had a bad day and she took away his GI joe doll or possibly decided to make stuffing out of a box instead of making it from scratch..see how stupid these comments are but they are no worse then the others being made on here by umm people who have it or bad parents who didnt raise their kids right..
you dont know this guy or his cir***stances so how can you diagnois this guy from you keyboard.

Nicole

this guy needs to be locked up in a prison psych ward for the rest of his life

Anuschka

They will find out if he only makes it up or if it's true and he is very ill and needs treatment - things like this happen and it they happen in the blink of an eye.

Everyone of you who has no relative or some expirience with someone suffering from a psychical illness should really keep his mouth shut - it's hard enough to deal with it.

And it's a shame too that so many subject use this as an excuse - they treat this real sick people with foots - so go and think again about some really rude comments here.

Qi Gone

i been on the fence on this guy being for real, or a victim, or faking it. you have to read the nydaily article to get a clear picture of where his head is at. what ain't clear is how long he was exihitbing any symptoms. none of his family ever said he had a history of mental illness.
lets look at the facts. this guy is not getting acting gigs, his subway franchise fails, he moves back in with his mom. he's desperately looking for a way to make it big, so he goes to the masonic lodge. they tell him what to do, he's scared to do it so his dad talks to him on the phone to further convince him of what needs to be done so he can be wealthy.
what really settles it for me is the interview. he suddenly has become so delusional, yet hes talking about his days events in such a lucid manner? not really the behavior of a schizophrenic or person with multiple personality disorder.
my guess is he's acting, but he should have done his research because he's pulling it off pretty badly. he wont' see the inside of a prison cell, they'll just keep him at bellevue for the masonic doctors to watch over him.
question is, will they really give him the wealth, or was he suckered and theyll just pump him full of crazy pills and keep him locked away for life. thats what the reporter from nydaily should have asked "if you did all this to become more powerful in status, how do you know they aren't bs'ing you and you'll be locked in here forever?" Then you'd see him snap out of character.

Minnievanillie

This guy is NUTS

steve

I find these comments funny. If he said he heard voices and was commanded by God to give out cookies to many poor kids, you people would call him a saint. If he said he heard voices and was commanded by God to behead his mother, you would want his head. This says a lot about Religious biasness in America.