Chia Obama -- Racist?

11/28/2010 12:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

This commercial just ran in KCBS TV in Los Angeles, featuring a little stocking stuffer -- a Chia Pet, the Chia Obama edition. The question ... is it racist?
112810_obama_v2_still

Obama's "do" is caricature-like and, standing on its own, makes the Prez look like someone from "What's Happening!!"

The commercial also hawks Chia Pets of two other presidents -- Washington and Lincoln.  But it's clear the Chia Obama is the selling point.

So we ask ...

OhhhPlease

you know the funny thing, when I saw this commercial a few days ago, I thought to myself how long before someone tries to make it a racist thing... Good Grief Now!!....everyone stop making things what they are now!!

Quinn

Dude, I come home one day and there is a f*n huge box in front of my door addressed to my husband. I ask my husband what it is...he's like I don't know ..I open it, Its FIVE Obama Chia pets. A drunken internet buy on his part. We ended up having a neighborhood Obama Chia Race. Who could grow the gnarly-ist Obama. I gave mine eyebrows. Funniest sheet ever. For serious.

BlancheDevereaux

The Chia Obama is not racist, however, Obama is.

Both are beyond tacky and I wouldn't want either one in my home.

OhhhPlease

That should have read....*stop making things what they are not!"

Theresa

Racist no, asinine yes.

lolumad

No one knows what the word racist even means anymore. Is this stereotypical? maybe. Not racist by any stretch. If I say black people have funny noses it is not racist. Please understand the difference between the two terms. Go to school TMZ.

gimmeabreak

Someone remind me who the anonymous sh*t-for-brains "TMZ Staff" writer is who wrote this drivel? What a load of horse sh*t. ALL CHIA PET's are caricatures of the people/cartoons/statues/etc that they represent, you f*cking dumbass. That doesn't make them racist. Go crawl back under your rock you whiny pot stirring piece of sh*t.

Quinn

& I think it's funny that the picture shows Obama with straight hair. It doesn't grow straight. It grows curly.

ggbgirl

There is also a Chia Washington and Chia Lincoln (Harvey should be all over that one). Not racist, just plain stupid.

Kitty

Way to go Harvey. Like we don't have enough racism in this world, you need to go and incite more. Shame on you.

mickeba

It's not racist, but it is stupid. And not very respectful either, to Obama, Lincoln or Washington. If it were just Obama, you could think it might be racist, but with the Statue of Lib, Washington and Lincoln, it's just another case of a company bandwagon jumping. You're headline implies it's racist and leads the reader to assume racism, which is too bad.

Carl

Wow TMZ, you are right on top of breaking news aren't you? They started advertising and selling the Chia Obama back in 2008 and it caused a minor controversy back then too.

Elizabeth

you have got to be kidding!!!! I HATE it when the race card is played just for giggles and grins. "Oh ! I just crossed the road. It must be based on race!!!
Can we PLEASE retire it already???? The race issue will NEVER go away until we FORCE IT TO!!!!!!

SoThere

Bwahaaaaaaaa. The chia has more brains and is better looking.

kanyeisgay

Obama is racist ?? WHO KNEW ?