Drug Investigation on 'Deadliest Catch' Boat

11/29/2010 3:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The fishing boat featured on the reality show "Deadliest Catch" was the subject of a police search earlier this month after the captain called cops claiming one of the stars had been abusing drugs on board ... this according to law enforcement.

Deadliest Catch Drugs

The Unalaska Department of Public Safety (Unalaska is a city in Alaska, weird ...we know) tells TMZ ... police responded to the famous "Cornelia Marie" on November 5, 2010 after receiving a call from Captain Derek Ray.

We're told Ray -- who took over the boat after the death of Captain Phil Harris -- told cops Phil's son Jake Harris (a deckhand on the boat) had been abusing prescription drugs while at sea.

Officials tell us ... cops searched the boat and found "paraphernalia" -- but not enough evidence to connect Jake to a crime.

Cops interviewed everyone on the boat -- but so far, no arrests have been made.

UPDATE: A rep for Jake told us "The facts of the case speak for itself, the Unalaska Department of Public Health has confirmed that no charges will be filed as a result of the investigation. Jake is looking forward to returning as part of the Cornelia Marie crew to the Bering Sea for the opilio crab season in January. "

J Johnson

How about Discovery being accountable.. Jake has a contract to be there and it's up to Discovery to let him out of it...

John

Josh and Jake are part owners in name sake alone... its tied up in a trust and the person with the real power is the lady who owns the rest of it...

That capt was friends with Phil and he knew him well. He wouldn't have been pissed he did that even if he was still alive..

He needs help bad and I hope he gets it....

John

@julie... empty bottle etc.. hell he could have had pills but also a script for them

my guess is he has a valid script and also buys **** ton more on the streets...

gimmeabreak

I have serious doubts about the veracity of ANY story from a website that uses Perez Hilton as a credible source.

"Reports say this" ... "Reports say that" ... Reports have been known to be WRONG.

Why not wait until the facts come out before you condemn the kid?

Posted at 12:45 PM on Nov 29, 2010 by Sharon

---------------------------------

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Nothing happened to it. That's a due process right between you and the Government. It has nothing to do with anything else. Everyone else is free to form their own opinion of you and judge you anyway they want based on what's known about you, true or otherwise.

Badjuju813

My husband and I owned grouper boats until we got out of it a couple of years ago. The drug of choice for the deckhands was crack at that time. Now we hear they crackheads have turned to pills now. It is rampant and I guess every fishing industry is having problems.

wisdomtooth

The kid needs treatment not a criminal record. Anyone who calls the cops on a friend in need is a total douchebag in my book.

When people abuse pills they may have paraphernalia in the form of:
Pill crusher
Syringe
Small straw
Pipe
Empty Rx bottles
Dirty spoon or foil

Jake's dad was an addict also but no one seemed to worried about that until he got sick. Pounding redbull and cigs 24hours a day is nearly as dangerous and addictive as Oxy.

teresa

#6

Perhaps you may be blissfully unaware of the realites of the job.

Crazy hours, physical exertion/exhaustion and pain AND big paychecks make drugs weed, meth etc, a huge temptation just to survive and 'deal' with the grueling aspects of this kind of job.

Around here, it's very common with guys who spent years working the oilfield, and most have an excellant employment/safety record. And you have to seriously watch your back to survive there as well. Aside from mandatory drug testing (which is a joke btw) very few drillers run a strictly 'straight' crew.

I personally know of many guys like that, and I can't explain it. That's just the way of it.

I LOVE the show, EXTREMELY well-produced and a very rare show that makes tv worth watching. But all I'm gonna say is I see a lil meth goin on.

You can scream labor laws etc, but in the real world, that's not how things work. I won't judge anyone who works in these various conditions. Most of us wouldn't last a day out there.

#15 "People around him" are likely doing it too. Yes some, not all. Please don't judge so harshly til you can stand a day in his job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not advocating drug use here.

I hope Jake can get things under control, and hope it's not bad blood between
him and the Captain.

Good luck Jake, and God bless.

Mark21401

If Jake was using drugs, it was up to the captain to sort it out. All offshore workers are subject to random drug test. He should have been tested and fired if it was positive.

robert

that kid has one tough ass job and i dont blam him for taking a few percocets here an there...

Brian

I give the new "captain," that's with a little "c," one season or less.

Any Captain worth his/her salt would kick off any crewmen unfit for duty, and that would be the end of that.

Lori

Aw Jake, sorry to hear of this, again! C'mon buddy and get it together for your dad's memory if nothing else. I know it's hard and every day is a challenge, but you need to carry on your legacy and you can't do that when you're not thinking clearly! Best of luck to you, but please get some help now!!

Miss Bu

I'm glad that new captain is giving Jake some tough love, I hope he goes back to rehab.

Andrea

Why is this news? I watched the marathon this weekend. And, while Phil was laying in the hospital, the oldest one told him he needed to grow up and go to rehab. So, you had the call the police because?

Jessica

Thats BS if u ask me. What kind of nerve does that captain have to call the cops on the best Captain there was son!!!! He wouldn't have his job if it wasn't for that crew!! That captain can f off!!!!

runuts

Some of you people are just plain crazy. LOSER BOY is a JUNKIE. I would love to see you out fishing on the Bearing Sea with a JUNKIE standing next to you watching your back. See what kind of a break you think this little no mind should get then. The Captain is responsible for the lives of ALL the men on the ship and one little screw-up is not worth the lives of everyone else. O and Phil was a co-owner of that boat and Daddy is dead so there is no reason the keep a good for nothing loud mouth JUNKIE on board anymore. If anyone should get a shot at that boat it should be Josh, he is the son that cared about his father. It was Josh that tried to make sure Phil ATE, SLEPT, and he spent time in the wheel house with Phil, JUNKIE boy looked out for #1 at all times and was always sure to tell Josh how lousy he was at the job.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments