Demi Lovato's Attack Victim

The Bruising Photos

12/4/2010 3:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Demi Lovato left one hell of a mark when she punched a female backup dancer in the face on a private jet back in October ... and TMZ has obtained photos of the eye-swelling damage.

1203-the-damage-launch-tmz-ex-2-credit
These photos were taken days after Demi socked Alex Welch in the face -- leaving visible bruises on her left eye and cheek.

Sources close to Welch tell us ... the dancer was simply minding her own business on a private jet leaving Bogota, Colombia ... when Demi "walked up to Alex and with a closed fist, struck her on the left side of her face."

We're told Alex was knocked clean out of her seat -- and had to receive emergency medical attention.

Lovato was immediately removed from the plane and eventually returned home -- and then checked herself into a treatment center shortly after.

Alex -- who completed the remaining dates on the Jonas Brothers tour -- has now lawyered up with high powered Beverly Hills attorney Donald Karpel and we're told she's "considering her legal options."

cynical me

I love how she waited until now to lawyer up. Oh yea she had to finish up her Jonas brother tour. My mother spanked me when I was younger, I think I should sue now.

Lief

The fact that some clown named JoeChief backs Lovato proves that she is a total waste.

JoeChief

Yeah Lief you totally got me and what I was trying to say...moron.

Cwizzy

Alright, I come from the imdb boards and I heard about this over here and I felt that I should say a few things. First off. No. I don't think Alex deserved to get hit. I think it was wrong of Demi to do so and I think she knew it to. Hence why she is getting help right now. To prevent anything like this from happening again. I commend her for that. She's getting help and taking steps to preventing this. And that is a good thing.

Having said that, I think she should take responsibility and make it up to this girl somehow. Because part of taking responsibility is also being responsible for your actions. And I can see why some people would say it's just a black eye. Cause, yeah it kinda is and yeah it's two people just getting into a fight. But the fact is, Demi in her ill state of mind (and I say ill state of mind because I truly do believe that her state of mind was off) did something she should not have done. I can't condone this. I really can't. As much as I support Demi and as much as I always will, I can't condone a violent act towards someone else.

Now that's not to say that I think she should go to jail. No, of course not. I don't think anyone who didn't have a violent history that had a public melt down should go to jail, especially if their mind wasn't in the right state. I mean she's not a flight risk or anything like that. She was a kid that made a mistake. She's an 18 year old girl with raging hormones that did something irrational. Who didn't do something like that? Maybe you guys never hit anyone but you still had that moment of irrationality. And sometimes what you say or DO is worse than hitting someone. You can hurt people worse with other means, rather than using your fists.

Now I do think she should take responsibility for it though. But I don't think she should take the same punishment like a hardened criminal should. I see no reason why she should be given criminal charges for someone just made a mistake. She isn't a criminal and this is her first offense, if indeed she was going to press criminal charges, I think that would be taken into account as well as the fact that she's trying to better herself. And any rational person would take that into account as well instead of treating her like she was a murderer. There has to be some sort of compassion and sympathy for both parties. Otherwise were just beasts. And yes treating someone who you don't know or even have their side of the story is pretty deplorable in anything else. Demi is still entitled to rights and certain RIGHTS are that her previous clean record is and SHOULD be taken into consideration. Just like her other philanthropy ideas. And again the fact that she is trying to better herself should be taken into consideration as well.

Not to mention her state of mind. You guys won't agree with this. But It does play a part in this. There is no time frame on how long personal issues from your past and inner demons should last inside of you. They could last for years if you don't nip it in the bud. Someone here said that her behavior is an indication of “There's something very wrong” and she's right. There is something very wrong here. She's got some issues that are scaring the crap out of her and she needs help. She really does.

Also this doesn't just apply to her but other people as well. It's not JUST celebrities who get a lienient sentence. Other people get that as well if they don't have a prior record and have been clean for the most part. People should really look into old cases.

Having said all that, I don't think criminal charges are going to be pressed. Because if they were, the dancer would have filed a police report the day it happened. And an arrest warrant would've been issued. It doesn't seem like that's the case seeing as how Demi was allowed to go back home to get the help she needs. So it's safe to assume that the Dancer doesn't want to press criminal charges. Not to mention she wouldn't get an american lawyer but a lawyer that was liscenced with their respective bar at Bogata Colombia. Where this took place. But that's messy and it takes up a lot of time and money. Which is pretty daunting on both ends. And in regards to that aircraft law that someone mentioned above, that is still a federal US law that is applied to. It still does not apply to “crimes” that happened overseas. Also we don't know if the aircraft was a US sanctioned one. It was a private one. That's all we know.

So yeah, Criminal charges, probably not gonna happen. A Civil lawsuit on the other hand is not out of the question. I do think a civil lawsuit however wouldn't be THAT unjustified seeing as how Demi was in the wrong and like I said, she should make it up to this girl and apologize. Not to mention Alex is entitled to something. I don't think she should get or IS going to get two hundred thousand dollars. But I do believe that she should get something for her troubles of being hit and that should be within reason. I think she should also get a written apology. I do believe she is entitled to some restitution. Not Demi's entire life savings. That's just as unfair as anything else.

Having said all that. I will end with this. We all make mistakes. And those mistakes will someone cause us to do irrational things. And even though she shouldn't have hit someone, I don't condone it. I don't think this should be held over her neck like a guillotine blade for her entire life or for her entire career. There's not one of us out there who can judge her without knowing her and there's not one of us out there who can say “I never had a moment of irrationality where I said something or did something, I should not have done.” Again we all make mistakes but you can't possibly expect her to life her life with this hanging over her head for all eternity. She feels bad enough about it, I don't think she should be constantly reminded of what happened and what not. Or the turmoil she went through that caused all of her buttons to be pushed. Which lead to an explosion.

You guys wanna talk about being fair, that's not very fair at all now is it? So yeah, even though I DO support her in getting healthy, getting back to work and entertaining her fans as well as getting her life back on track, I don't support her actions and I think she should make it up to Alex in one way or another. With in reason of course. I don't think anyone with a rational mind can find fault in that.

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a second chance or a chance at a fulfilling life and doing what she likes to do. Which is entertain. Nor do I think her career SHOULD suffer either. I do believe in second chances and I think she should get one. Sure, all of us do stupid things now and then. All of us hurt others at one time as well. The thing is, mistakes happen. that is just part of life, and part of being human. I think it is all in how you process your "mistake". If you let it ride you and run your life, you learn nothing. what makes each and everyone of us unique and special is how we come out of and what we learn from our "mistakes". This is all part of life, and everyone goes through it.

kk22

Uhh yeah, she was just minding her own business and she punched her in the face? Yeah freakin right. I don't buy that crap nor her "flying out of her seat" lol. Woooooooow

Holldoll

People dont just punch other people for no reason. If I was punched by any person, I'd jump the gun to sue too..because well..free money. I dont know many people that wouldnt jump on that boat. Especially a celebrity! Sucks for Demi, she was probably provoked, not to mention the slam on her image after all this came about. She's getting a dent in her pocket and her image. Though, some people might feel this helped her get some publicity, might help her image in some ways..she should come out with a new hardcore metal band and rock out! I mean why not, shes already more hardcore than some of the puss rockers(if you could call them that) out there now(avril/cough).

Cwizzy

This isn't really new news. People have known about this since november. Nothing has changed and this is just an excuse to show these photos. That's all it is. TMZ isn't really telling us anything new.

peter_garner

Demi Lovato cannot be prosecuted in the US, because that incident happened outside the country. That happened when the plane have already landed in Lima, Peru, coming from Bogota, Colombia. It doesn't matter both are Americans, ask any lawyer. Plus, nobody punches anybody with no reason at all, Welch's version is unacceptable.

elle

.... ok omg i though it was gonna be soo bad that she needs surgery but this is really nothing.....having said that demi shouldnt have punched her anyways.. i didnt mind demi but this is just stupid...

;D

ayy esa no creo q sea sierto lo q diga y si la golpio DEMI muy bien porque se mete en lo q no le importa pero q no sea exagerada

money

"high powered" attorney donald karpel." that's funny.

Ivor Biggun

That's so random.

mary

if demi where an 18yr old male, everyone would be calling for jail time. but since women are seen as weak and innocent(especialy a star) we cut them slack, make excuses. if this girl had done anything to demi, they would have yelled it from the rooftops to make it alright for demi. i think the girl should sue her and make her be accountable. this may make her think before she hurts someone else

Anthony

Am I the only one who finds Demi extremely hot because of this? haha.

kk22

@Anthony Yes, yes you are.