Howard K. Stern Walks in Anna Nicole Case

1/6/2011 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In a shocking slap in the face to the L.A. County District Attorney, the judge in the Howard K. Stern drug conspiracy trial just threw out the jury verdict -- making Stern a free and innocent man.

Howard K. Stern

The jury in the case -- in which prosecutors argued Stern and others conspired to fuel Anna Nicole Smith's drug habit -- found Stern guilty of 2 counts of conspiracy, but not guilty on 7 other charges.

The judge felt the conviction was baseless and threw it out.

It's also a major repudiation of California Gov. Jerry Brown who grandstanded and spent millions as Attorney General going after Stern and the other defendants.

The judge also found that psychiatrist Khristine Eroshevich was acting out of concern for Smith -- and sentenced her to no more than one year of probation and a $100 fine for obtaining a Vicodin prescription under a false name.

UPDATEDistrict Attorney Steve Cooley says, "We strongly disagree with Judge Robert Perry's ruling today," adding, "[the ruling] diminishes the huge social problem of prescription drug abuse facilitated by irresponsible caretakers and unscrupulous medical professionals."

0106_howard_k_stern_launch_SMCooley says he'll appeal the ruling and hasn't decided whether to retry Stern on the charges on which the jury was hung.

1028_remembering_anna_nicole_smith_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Wellington

That's what I call justice. The whole trial was a farce.

Rob

WOW! Hey Cal. besides the weather what do ya'll get right?

Skeep

I guess this is an early indication of how the California taxpayers' money will be used for frivolous waste of time and effort and energy.

Ann

murray will prabably get off too...

WhackAMole

I'll be using this as my defense if I ever get in trouble.....Howard, you're screwed anyway. You'll never get a job...oh wait, you've only had one client and she's dead.....nevermind.

awards

Maybe HKS should sue the moonbeam for malicious prosecution or some other civil suit to recover costs and damages.

Ann

OJ, Stern, Murray. BAAAAAD people that won't face justice!

Tinalouise

Wow...why bother to have a jury then if the judge can just say "nah I don't think so"!! Ridiculous,anyone with half a brain knew that this s***bag was just using her and keeping her drugged up so he could have access to her money at all times. Yes, she was at fault too but there is no doubt in my mind that he continued to fuel her drug habit so she could be his little puppet.

Emm

Good for him...

Junkies need to be accountable for their own actions and the legal system needs to stop blaming everyone and their grandmother for the junkies actions. Save taxpayers dollars.

mary

This is stupid but I found the ANS case so interesting and followed the last couple of yrs of her life. For long periods of time she left Howard to do what she wanted to do. She was having a affair with a developer who lived on the east coast for serveral months. It was the developer who convinced her to go to the island. She thought whoever she named as the "legal father" would give her complete control of her daughter. A month or so later she had Howard move down and named him the father. I beleive Anna was in complete control and Howard did anything she wanted just to stay with her. It was the developer who owned the house on the island. He was forced to sign over the house to her d/t some illegal activities on his part.

Patty ~Team Howard~

So happy for Howard!!!!! I used to have such good times in the ANS comment sections. I remember some of the crazies here who actually wen ty to meet that hog Virgie, they must be soooo pissed right now. HAHAHA love it!!! My favorite commenter was "laughing so hard"

Prancy

I don't think this is legal. I think that Judge needs to be evaluated. What is wrong with him? What would motivate him to do something so outrageous? OH!......I get it. My guess is that he will go down after the investigation. The state will appeal and they will figure the real reason the judge lost his head.

sickofit

Just throw out the jury verdict. They were all idiots who did not know what they were doing. This man is a nice judge. As my Mother just said, she wondered how much he got paid.

Gogo

I AM HAPPY HE IS FREE.... HIS ONLY CRIME WAS LOVING ANS

jen newman

that o.k. cause when HKS least expects it, someone will seek their own form of justice from him...

Jen Newman