Jared Lee Loughner -- The Mug Shot

1/10/2011 7:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jared Lee Loughner -- the man accused of shooting 18 people, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- made a brief appearance in court today to formally hear the charges against him.

Jared Lee Loughner Mug Shot
A preliminary hearing was set for January 24.

Giffords remains in critical but stable condition.

ch

Wow...it's like staring insanity in the face: I don't care if this guy was the logical extent of Sarah Pahlin's Tea-Party violent rhetoric, this kid is disburbed. She is not to blame but her and her ilk gave this psycho's ideas popular legitimacy....someone needs to muzzle that alaskan dog before more people of color get shot

Tellthetruth59

Tell, I know brain power is not a strong point for you but do you have any idea what Arizona has become now that the Tea Party has taken over there? Do you know?

Tea party in the Sonora:
For the future of G.O.P. governance, look to Arizona

I know you won't read it, it has a lot of words, but that is a Harpers article on what it's like in Arizona now. I don't think I was taking much of a leap.
Posted at 3:30 PM on Jan 10, 2011 by Anon
--------------------------------

Harpers! How did I miss this? I always go to Harpers for cutting edge and insightful political views. Thanks Anon!

boo

google Kennesaw, GA
Gun Town USA Fascinating!
We The People must be responsible for ourselves.

Anon

"Meanwhile, Arizona removed more than 300,000 adults from state health coverage..."http://www.harpers.org/archive/2010/07/0083023

Maybe Arizona should reconsider how they approach health care and maybe even mental health care. Arizona's focus is on making sure everyone can have a gun rather than the heavy medication this guy looks like he needs.

Of course they're too busy having political rallies with M16s.

Palin endorsed Jesse Kelly, who ran against Giffords, who used the tagline:

"Get on Target for Victory in November. Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office. Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly."

meg

There are some great genetics at work there.

clevon

Looks like Remi from higher learning

gina

Per CNN, the shooter is a registed Independent, not a Democrat or a Republican. So people can stop with the blame game.

karlew

Nutty Buddy will sure want to make sure everyone thinks he's crazy. It's the only thing between him and the needle. Arizona has the death penalty, and has used it 22 times since 1976.

Anon

gina that really means nothing in a state as far right as Arizona.

What's funny is guess how popular Arizona will be as a tourist destination? I'm thinking not much. They created this environment.

Janeny

Are you sure it's him? I mean the guy is SMILING for God's sake! He just SHOT DEAD a few people for NO reason, wounded a few, scared a whole bunch of them and he is f SMILING? I am sure this guy has some problem upstairs but he is sane enough, and other than lacking education and intelligence, legally competent to be held liable for what he has done.

LAWRENCE

Leave Brittany alone, leave her alone.

figure-it-out

FOOD FOR THOUGHT HATEFUL MONKEYS! Would anyone of executed John Forbes Nash? He was a Noble Peace Prize Mathmatition who was also recognized for breaking what was thought to be undesipherable codes by the Russians. He was a nationally celebrated 'PATRIOT.' As much as he was genius he was schizophrenic. He attempted to murder his infant son at one point and routinely believed he was being stalked by the KGB. He was one of the few with the illness who was able to wrangle in his illness and stare at 1000 numbers and be able to decode it and tell you when missles were coming into Cuba:) Should we of executed him for attempting to drown his child while in the thrawls of psychosis? Or should we have spent an extra 30 bucks a year a piece to make sure people like this don't fall off the deep end and can be a possible asset to society? THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS. THIS IS ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS AND MENTAL ILLNESS ONLY. Go watch the movie A BEAUTIFUL MIND and get back to me on that one genius!

TorontoWoman

#82 CARVEY

RE: "You're Canadian, your opinion doesn't count"

Wrong. Last I checked, TMZ was a forum for everyone, not just Americans, so I'll voice my opinion as I damn well please. Funny, a lot of Americans yap about OUR health care (and most of the time, you are misinformed) when you debate health care issues.

I never tell you to mind your own business and that your opinions about OUR system don't count.....

Rob

smilin' like he just shot a 10 point buck....what a lunatic

figure-it-out

I apologize for rush spelling on my 131 comment but the point is still far more valid than the majority of the wrethced comments that are being posted here. THE KID IS SICK. By no means condone killing anyone but know what you are dealing with. Learn from it and fix it.