Keith Olbermann --

Fired By MSNBC

1/22/2011 9:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Keith Olbermann was fired by MSNBC sources tell TMZ, and we're told it had everything to do with Comcast's acquisition of NBC.

Keith Olbermann Fired
Sources connected with the network tell us ... Comcast honchos did not like Keith's defiance and the way he played in the sandbox.

Our sources say Keith has around two years left on his contract, and he'll be paid his salary -- around $7 million a year.

We don't know if Comcast will let Keith make a deal with another network as part of an exit agreement, but it's a good bet he'll be benched for a minimum of 6 months, and probably longer.

More Keith Olbermann

Arthur Robles

with olberman gone who is going to challenge the horse manure coming from fox? Or feckless politicians? Or supreme court prima donnas?

Lori

And Wow TMZ TWO "Breaking News"! in a row about this tool? Some "cub" at TMZ is going to miss his "Keith bear"

mike

At least the FOX fans are happy, they have been so whiny for the longest time it's good to through them a bone once in a while. Now they have one less impediment to their fact-less nirvana.

JimO

My, my #42blake...What they say about liberals is sooo true...that they are just a bunch of whiny babies who are toxically angry with everyone and everything...I guess because they are threatened that someone will take away their entitlements!

kinm

he'll be ok

Lori

Hey #80 "Buffington" Why all the hate towards "FIBIKER" ?

He just asked who the giggler was on MSNBC...why all the fuss? Don't all those guys at MSNBC giggle like school girls?.

Jan W. Brown

Very stupid move COMCAST! I do hope you regret this decision because "Countdown" WAS one of the best shows on TV. I guess we will have to realize that you are one of the many big corporations in this country that have too much money and too much power. Very sad. I see more of our so-called democracy fading away................

JD

Geez. What took that decision so long to make. The guy is an oxygen pirate from birth.

Lori

Ahhaaa #87 JimO...I said about the same thing to "Blake" except I still think he needs to take his meds and that his shoes are on too tight! :)

sue

I will no longer be watching MSNBC. Keith will be missed!

Andrew

OLBERMANN OUT AT COMCASTGEMSNBC...

CABLE MAKEOVER...

CNN PIERS 1,025,000
MSNBC MADDOW 976,000
MSNBC O'DONNELL 855,000
MSNBC SCHULTZ 760...,000
CNN COOPER 740,000

honeybunny

Mark Montgomery, give me some examples of Fox News commentators being vicious.

Right wing propaganda?!?! No, Fox is the ONE network that leans right; the liberal lame stream media has control over the vast majority of media outlets. Yet...Fox still kicks their asses in ratings, with more viewers than PMSNBC, CNBC and the Communist News Network COMBINED.

Liberals are sickening and, as a group, are getting more and more crazy. Must be afraid of being found out as the hypocritical liars and thieves they are, with people who really haven't paid much attention in the past now interested and seeing liberals for what they are. Liberalism is a mental illness.

"There's no way a real man can be a liberal." ~Rush Limbaugh

I <3 Rush.

Marc

I am seriously concerned about this firing. Mr. Obermann may have said things some people didn't like to hear, but he was armed with facts and intelligance to back up what he had to say. Comcast was wrong to silence him in this way and it makes them look real bad. I hope he is picked up by another network with a true patriotic streak-one that realizes that free speech is important even if you don't agree with it. Obermann has many viewers who feel the same way he does and he was their voice. Comcast silences them when they silenced Mr. Obermann. I am a Comcast subscriber and I am give some very serious though to finding another provider for my cable,internet and phone service.

Myrna

He was looking to get out of his contract because of the merger and MSNBC got wind of it ala David Shuster.

That's why he was fired.

pat galloway

I guess it's started. Anyone who is willing to tell the viewers the truth about every day politics, has to be silenced. I guess we have freedom of speech as long as it's the lies told on cable networks like FOX. Sorry to see you go Keith. I looked forward to your show everyday at 5:00 P.M. I WISH YOU THE BEST. FUTURE