Schick -- We're Cutting Our Ads from 'Skins'

1/24/2011 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The exodus continues ... Schick has now pulled its commercials from the controversial MTV show, "Skins."

MTV Skins Controversy

A rep for the company tells TMZ, "After 'Skins' on MTV aired last week, the makers of Schick Hydro decided not to advertise during the program because some of this show’s content is not aligned with Schick corporate guidelines."

So that makes Schick, Subway, H&R Block, Taco Bell, Wrigley and GM to pull its ads from the show.

UPDATE: A rep for MTV tells TMZ, "'Skins' has earned the loyalty of fans across the globe for its thoughtful and honest portrayal of teen life today. An internationally acclaimed scripted drama, the show has been honored with a long list of prestigious awards. MTV stands by the US adaptation of 'Skins' and the vision of its creator Bryan Elsley."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Jullianna

An "honest" portrayal would be for the show to have at least a few characters who are NOT sexually active or on drugs. Maybe at least one child who's not interested in being objectified.

Sherms

I don't get it because this show is SO STUPID!!! I made myself watch the first episode and then gave it one more week. It was terrible! The actors are TERRIBLE!!!

The commercials make the show seem so risque, but really, it isn't that bad. Then again, I am only going off of the 2 episodes I made myself watch.

And as I have read in other comments...this is great publicity for those selling ads during this particular hour, but everyone has to walk on egg shells these days. It's sad.

rachel

See, the thing is, Skins was made to portray the lives of teenagers from the UK and it's very popular around here (UK) I myself am amongst their age group and I might not do all the things that they show on the program but most of my friends do so.
The producers tried to do the same thing with US teens and it doesn't work. Because they don't do the same things. If they actually did the researsh they would know, all they did was change the scenes and the actors, because the rest is all the exact same thing.
Teens aren't the same everywhere in the world. The show was made to show parents and other teens the risks they put themselves into if they do what the characters are doing on the show. Which is what a good amount of teens across the UK do when they go to parties etc, not saying that all of them are like that but the majority yes.
So I am not surprised that the show is being miss understood in the US because that is not how teens there are. If they really wanted to create a Skins for the US, show the actual consept of the show by showing the lives of teens in the US

cabaretchicknyc

have any of you even seen the show? it's actually really good. which shocked the heck out of me from all of this publicity about the sponsors pulling out of it. i watched it for the first time last week and this week and i was hooked within the first 5 minutes! the teens who are in the show are AMAZING actors! so much better than even some of the popular sitcoms on tv. their emotions and facial expressions say it all and you really feel like you are with them in that situation. and yes, our generation is growing up faster, but guess what... be a parent and regulate what your kids watch. the shows on mtv are not made for all ages anymore. teen mom, jersey shore, skins... all of them are made for 18 or older audiences now. it's all in parenting. and if you talk with your children about what they are going through in their lives, maybe they will actually communicate with you instead of just sneaking behind your backs. this show shows that teenagers face this kind of thing every day. EVERY DAY. and it'll be just as much the more they get older. Parents nowadays need to know that and plan for it. and if you don't want your child becoming a rebellious hellion, like i was definitely with my parents, try being open minded and realize that they are not you and they are trying to become their own person and they don't know who that is yet, and if you talk with them and try and be open with them, they might be open with you and you'll have a much better relationship. all i ever wanted was for my mom to listen, and yet all she did was scream at me and told me to knock it off. parents, if you don't want your kids watching this show, parental control it, watch what your kids are doing, but even if you turn it off of the television, this is showing what really goes on in most schools now. so be open with your kids, talk with them, know that they are going to grow up and make their own mistakes through their own life lessons and all you can do is support them and love them. this show is really not that bad, and i'm going to definitely keep watching it. Degrassi on the-n... now that one is pretty much just as bad as this, yet maybe not as graphic. and it didn't use to be either. you may think you know what your kid is watching just because it's on a certain channel, but you don't. get more involved with your kids lives without being all snoopy and controlling, and maybe later on, your kids will thank you for it.

gail wakefield

MTV says Skins is a reality. Vomit is a reality too, but I don't want to look at it! So happy to see today on Google that Foot Locker, L'oreal and H & R Block have pulled sponsorship and that Skins 2nd program had only half the viewship as the 1st. MTV is considering pulling Skins. Wow, power to the people! That almost never happens.

jessica

I'm not from the states but like to read TMZ but damn, u all are a bunch of uptight people over there:)
Why pull ur ads from a show? thats just publicity.
I watched the first episode because it got all this going on.
and please people...this is real live and u know it!! don't be this stuck up...

Posted at 1:35 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by maikel

This is NOT real life in middle America .....you can sceam it as loud as you want. but I work with kids this age group every day and yes there is some of this going on BUT not the majority of the teens ....They are not dressing like street walkers , talking filth and sex and partying , partying ,partying...as the show wants you to believe....They have real lives, sports and school and a lot of the kids are working to help their family or to have make their own money...

I am so tired of teenagers depicted as sex talking ,trash dressing idoits who all want to be rap stars , movie stars or rock stars like on disney, or nickoloden ....... tv shows like that are the worst influence on kids today....

Enough said.....scream away....now ain't going change my mind...

Posted at 1:46 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by ketjo

Who said the kids in Skins don't have "real lives, sports and school"? Did you even watch the show? Because if you did, you would see that the kids in this show DO have real lives, sports and school, just like the kids you described in real life... Teenagers do get mixed up with drugs sex and alcohol, and if you watch this show you would see that it's not completely glorifying it. It shows consequences for doing these things. I know this because I watched the original Skins from the U.K. For example, one character gets pregnant from all of the "talking filth and sex and partying" that you mentioned. You can't tell me that that doesn't happen to people in high school. Teenage pregnancy, drug overdosing, death. This show describes the good and the bad that can come from mistakes that teenagers make. If you watched the show and gave it a chance then you would see that.

jessica

Posted at 3:53 PM on Jan 25, 2011 by rachel

Rachel, I watched both the first and second season of Skins U.K. I am from the U.S, and I could relate VERY MUCH to everything that was going on... And let me just say that I liked the U.K Skins MUCH better than the first three episodes of the U.S version. U.K Teenagers are definitely not the only teens doing things like that... It happens everywhere including the U.S and especially in the group of friends that I had growing up. Watching this show I could really relate to each character and laughed to myself that it would be like if there were cameras filming me and my friends from high school. I'm just wondering, when you say "So I am not surprised that the show is being miss understood in the US because that is not how teens there are."
How do you know how teens are in the U.S???

LM

I think parents need to take a good hard look in the mirror and take responsibilty for their actions instead of pointing a finger to blame at a TV show, Movies, Music. It's outrageous, maybe parents should spend more time teaching their children to be leaders instead of followers. A TV show is not going to make or break it, there is still going to be influences in the real world. And topics in this show happen every where, every day, NATION WIDE. I am by all means not saying that this applies to everyone, but this is how some teens lives are. If you do not like a show turn it off, if you don't want your child watching it block the channel. But if there is a will there is a way, instead of spending so much time sheltering your children from real life issues talk to them about it instead. Blame is ignorance at it's finest if you ask me. The only controversy here is what parents should be teaching their children if they feel so strongly about a TV show. Get real, seriously.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7