Jimmy Buffett

Hospitalized

After Fall from Stage

1/26/2011 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jimmy Buffett was rushed to a hospital in Australia today after he fell off the stage during a concert ... and it appears flashing lights from the lighting director may have triggered the fall that left him unconscious ... TMZ has learned.

jimmy_buffetts_stage_fall
TMZ has confirmed the 64-year-old singer was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital in Sydney after he crashed into a large gap in front of the stage during the show's finale at Hordern Pavilion.

An audience member in the front row tells TMZ it appeared Buffett was unconscious for about 5-10 minutes and that he had a huge gash on his head. Paramedics arrived 15 minutes later.

Sean Fogarty, who was also front and center, tells TMZ Jimmy was doing an encore at the end of the concert called "Lovely Cruise" and walking along the edge of the stage when the lighting person splashed "a huge flash of light" along the stage, making it impossible to see and he fell.  Fogarty says the next thing he knew he heard Buffett's head strike the metal on his way to the floor.

Another audience member who was close to the stage, tells TMZ a slightly different story .... that it looked as if Buffett was about to jump off the stage to shake hands when he misjudged the jump and fell.  The audience member also says he saw Buffett's head strike a metal strip on his way down.

The light flash lasted 10 seconds and no one even knew Buffett had fallen until the flashing ceased.

We're told doctors at St. Vincent's are still assessing his injury.

UPDATE:  We're told Buffett is in stable condition and will stay in the hospital for observation.

We will keep updating this post ...

ItzAmi

Little too much Martgueritaville? Hope he will be OK ..

dukeran

One to many margaritas!

fifi

That sounds horrible! I wish him well!

Rogue

He must have tripped on that lost shaker of salt

Cali MJ Fan

Well wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope he is ok.

lol @ posts above.

pdrc

Unconscious for 5-10 minutes? That is not a good sign. Hope he's OK.

sean

he fell off stage as the light guy flashed all the lights on when he was near trhe edge and he could not see the edge. I saw it it was horrible. The fans felt sick after it and the lights came on. 20 minutes before ambualnce arrived.

He fell about 6 feet straight down onto his head hitting a metal fence at full force.

Fans where asked to leave the concert as it had just ended anyway and he was just waving goodbye as he fell

Out of respect NO photos where taken by anyone as it looked at one stage as if he might have died. Fans got very angry when people tried to take photos.. so none will probably come out of him laying bleeding

PHead

Hey guys - lay off the Margarita jokes. Jimmy was his normal professional self. I was in Row 5 - it was pretty horrific for those of us close to the fall. The only positive I can give you is that I believe we were in the traffic behind his Ambulance - while its lights were on - its siren wasn't - that's normally a sign that the emergency is not great - lets hope so - sail well, Jimmy.

sean

actually in Australia sirens not on means patient will be traumatised by the sirens and they are working on him inside the ambulance. They have lights on way to accident.. but if serious sirens are off and lights are on

Colin Elterman

I was in front row! So sad! I have been to hundreds of concerts but never seen such a large void between the stage and the barricades! Jimmy was doing what he always does. Reaching out to his fans! Get well soon Jimmy! Your Ozzie fans love and need you!

Gina

I love Jimmy Buffett. and hope it is not serious. My prayers are with him.

Julie

Well, I was going to make some stupid joke about old men falling down. I know about this cause I'm and same age he is. But after I read the first hand accounts of the accident changed my mind. Get well soon guy, love you music.

Gina

He blew out his flip-flop!

jmk

Love you, Jimmy - hope you are better soon!

angela furcolo

I love Jimmy. Hope he is ok!!
Fins Up.