Halle's Race War with Gabriel:

Our Daughter IS Black

2/8/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Halle Berry says it point blank ... her daughter is Black -- a direct message to her ex Gabriel Aubry who, according to sources, "went nuts" anytime someone called Nahla Black.

0207_halle_gabriel_BN_Getty_01
Halle says in an upcoming interview with EBONY magazine, "I feel she's Black. I'm Black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory." The one-drop rule was used during segregation to describe anyone who wasn't 100% Caucasian.

As TMZ first reported, sources connected with the former couple say Gabriel insists Nahla is White.

Truth is, they're both sorta right ... and both sorta wrong.

So, we gotta ask ...

Halle Berry

chasemeboo

Halle=nutcase..AGREED...Halle is 1/2 white (her mother is white), Halle's child = 1/2 white & 1/2 black mother, french father = MIXED. What's wrong with the word mixed. Mixed is a beautiful thing. I'm sad for those who don't know how to mix it up and enjoy everything God has given us.

marianne

Look at the entire picture. Halle was born to a white mother and African American father and Gabriel is obviously white, which means that Nahla is 1/4 African American (or as Halle said black) and 3/4 white, regardless of Halle feeling that Nahla is black, this I find a total insult to Halle's mother to whom she is supposedly so close.

I have grandnieces who are half black, 1/4 white and 1/4 Hispanic because their mother is black and their father (my nephew)is half white and half Hispanic and I know a kid who's more white than black when I see one. Halle and Gabriel should stop throwing the race card at each other and GROW UP for the sake of their daughter who is a mixed BLESSING to both of her parents as far as I'm concerned and they should be grateful to have her.

They should also let Nahla decide what she feels about her ethnicity when she's old enough to be able to not have one or the other parent try to infleuce her into being something she may not be comfortable being because it will do more harm than good.

Ashes

"One drop rule"? Are you f******g kidding me?? I'm sorry Halle, but in reality that little girl of yours is mixed: she is both black AND white. I know it's a little hard to wrap your head around but it's the truth. Also, I really hope what they said about Gabriel's reaction wasn't true. I mean seriously, if you're gonna flip a tit over your daughter's race you shouldn't have impregnated a black woman. Then again those sources probably misunderstood him and thought he was angry because she was called black and not think that he was upset that both her races weren't represented. I dunno. But yeah, the fact that race was thrown into this conflict goes to show just how incredibly immature they both are.

Joao Amaral

I can sadly notice that in America, the land of the free and fair there is still a strong racial issue which continuous to divide some parts of the natives of that great country. I am African and both my parents are the result of black and white marriages. I grew up accepting my roots and I believe that is the right thing to do. Call me black, mixed, or whatever, this is not important to me. What matters is what I can do as a decent human being. I think in Hale's case she appears to be the one with some kind of problem when it comes to deal with her racial heritage. Why doesn't she learn with Barack Obama who genuinely is proud of his heritage and is proud of the job his mother and grand-parents did? I feel sorry for Hale's mother who in my opinion must be a very dignified lady.

ann

Why does he get so upset if someone calls her black? If he does not have an issue in being with a black woman, then he should not have an issue with his daughter being called black. Love who you are and what you have created. She is beautiful. PS you cann't run away from that black hair.

Rob

One drop of blood rule

The concept of race is different in the U.S. from the rest of the world. The U.S. was the only country in the world that had the "one drop of blood rule". Even South Africa in the times of apartheid did not have that rule. That rule says that if one of your ancestors up to the fourth or fifth generation were of black african ancestry you are black. This is a rule that was established by law (Common Law) in the 17th century. Its purpose was to maintain in slavery people who otherwise would have been considered whites and free.

In the British colonies of North America (what later became the U.S.A.) the rule was that a white person could not be a slave. English Common Law also had a rule that said that the social condition of the children were inherited from their father side. The implication of that rule was that if the father was a free man, his children were going to be free, no matter what was the social condition of the mother.

Since the beginning of slavery, black slave women where having children that were not as black as their mothers, evidently the indication of the state of helplessness that slaves had when her master, or her custodian wanted to sexually abuse her. But the slaves masters thought that eventually persons oppose to slavery could use that rule to claim the freedom of those children of mixed race.

So they adopted the rule that was applied in the Spanish and Portuguese colonies in the Americas. That rule was a rule that came all the way back from the Roman Empire. It was called the "partus sequitur ventrem" rule. Partus means newborn, sequitur means following and ventrem means womb. The "newborn follows the womb". That meant that if a child came from the womb of a slave woman he was a slave, if he came from the womb of a free woman he was free.

The colony of Virginia was the first to legislate that latin rule in 1672 and eventually all the Britinsh colonies adopted the rule.

But now they had two conflicting rules: one saying that no white person could be a slave and another saying that if you were born from a slave woman you were a slave no matter what where your complexion.

So the Common Law courts of the colonies invented a new rule: the one drop of blood rule which said that if you were born from a slave woman but your complexion was white or light that implied that one of your ancestors was a black african and that drop of blood made you black.

Jen

I have to ask...why can't a woman this beautiful keep a man...hummmm...I'm thinking she's a whack~job and her beauty can't hide it forever!!! Halle is baby is "MIXED" not black!

nolan

If you folks knew anything about the true history of this country you may have a better understanding of why halla feels the way she does...... I live under Jim Crow up to the late 60s in some cases and now me they call now Bi-racial.First you{white folks} call me a ******, mulatto,colored,negro,Black,and then african american.There is nothing of my white culture given all the nasty things that your culture has been done to god's children ,that I am proud of...Your culture has cause alot of pain and suffering in this world ,so you can have the upperhand.And you want forgiveness? Please see you on judgement day.

Bruce in Vancouver

Even though the kid is about 3/4 White. The Black gene can show up in future generations, where two people who were White have a child that has Black features. That may just cause a bit of trouble , I think.

deborah

two different backgrounds,two human beings,one Black and one White.I DONT SEE THE ARGUMENT,really I don't.The child is mixed according to genetic theory..............LOVE HER the same,and stop the fighting.BE thankful some people BLACK OR WHITE INDIAN WHAT EVER,cant PRODUCE..BOTTOM LINE.

Black Believer

FIRST OF ALL HOW ARE ANY OF YOU TELLINH HALLE BERRY WHAT HER CHILD IS SHES THE MOTHER AND IF SHE SAYS HER CHILDS BLACK SO BE IT. IF IT WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND YOU ALL WOULD BE SUPPORTING HER WHITE SIDE SO STFU ALL READY AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS IMPORTANT AND FAMOUS HALLE BERRY WORD THAT COUNTS NOT ANY OF YOURS. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK AND I AM PROUD OF HALLE SHE DOESN'T DENY HER WHITE SIDE SHE JUST LETS YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT HER BLACK SIDE LIKE SHOULD BE TO. BLACKS HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH WITH SLAVERY WHICH LAST CENTURIES. SO GO AND WORK IT HALLE!

Evie

How stupid of Halle,I have a white grandfather and consider myself of mixed race,these socalled black americans need to get over this race card and get a life.

Realist

It is because Halle Berry has always been considered Black. Only recently have people been starting to actually say, "Hey! People with Black in them aren't necessarily JUST black!" She is old school, and I don't care what this poll says. If one of your parents is Black, YOU ARE BLACK. Blam the forefathers for that one. And it's going to be a long time before that changes!

SoCelebrities

Huge fan of Halle Berry :-) I am finishing a new fan site http://sohalleeberry.com real time news, pics, videos, daily email alerts. Check it out, let me know what you think. -SoCelebrities

I speak the truth

Halle Berry is a nut job. I guess she didn't think the black men she dated was worthy of having a child with, so she goes and has a baby with a white man and her ass still ended up in the dog house. Apparently, she cannot maintain a stable relationship with any man. She needs to examine herself and ask,"what the hell is wrong with me?" Did she think the grass was greener on the other side? You made a mixed-race child and that is your fault. She is not and will never be black, neither is she white. Personally, all that crap about Halle saying she is black does not impress me, she thinks she is superior to darker skinned blacks and did not want to pass any black features on to her offspring. Deep down, Halle thinks white is better. She wants to have her cake and eat it, too. She classifies herself as black so she can get work in hollywood, but wants her child to have as little black blood in her as possible. Well, you succeeded in your efforts. Why don't you just be the mixed-race nut we always knew you to be and leave black people the hell alone. I hope your multi-racial daughter has better luck with sanity and men than you have.

Previous 15 Comments | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments