« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Hospitalized for

Pulmonary Embolism

3/2/2011 11:12 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Serena Williams was rushed to an L.A. hospital yesterday to undergo emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism ... this according to the 29-year-old tennis star's rep.

0301-serena-williams-bn-getty

Williams' rep released a statement explaining, "Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation."

The statement continues, "Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.  She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

The rep added, "Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Phreaky

While she's there, how about we go ahead and get that gender test done?

Van Hammersley

Wow...my 3 year daughter died from a pulmonary embolism. That's scary stuff. Hope she pulls through.

Vicky

I wish I could actually ge a message to Serena or her friends or family to make sure they take this very, very seriously. A dear friend of mine passed two years ago in her 30's due to almost the exact same thing. She had minor surgery on her foot and then was hospitalized a few times after with blood clots in the lung. One Monday, she started not feeling well so her Mother drove her to the office of the doctor who operated on her foot, not sure why she wasn't feeling well. He told her to take her straight to the emergency room. Why they didn't get an ambulance, I'll never know and never know if it would have helped but by the time they got to the hospital, she was unconscience. She died about 45 minutes later from a blood clot in the lung. Very, very sad.

steven

who gives a crap an over rated monkey

STeroid

anabolic steroids are a cause of pulmonary embolism...hope she gets well soon tho...and stays all natural from now on...

annie2

Wow, I'm not a fan of hers but that is very serious. People die very quickly from that if undiagnosed. I remember that CNN journalist that died in Iraq from that...David something. I wish her well. How scary.

shirnelle greenidge

well i hope my star feel better soon because she is my daughter name sake so we all r praying for her get well soon. god is watching over u

mstori68

Definitely a scary situation... hope all turns out well. Love you, Serena!

fstblk

My prayers go out to you and yours Serena. This is nothing to laugh at.Stay strong and see you on the courts soon.

moe l.

How "critical" can an issue with your foot be?!?!? Unless it's necrotizing faciitis... The embolism is life threatening.

Celeb Gossip Addict

God bless her! I had a 30 something coworker drop dead from a pulmonary embolism right before his wife's eyes while gardening. No clutching the chest, no complaints about pain, no nothing. Just here one second and gone the next. I really pray that Serena heals completely from the illness that has been plaguing her all these months.

Trey

Pulmonary emboli can be precipitated by surgery, inactivity, steroids (esp. high doses of anabolic steroids). Hmmm.

Celeb Gossip Addict

Posted at 8:25 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Van Hammersley
***************************

You don't sound very broken up about it. Scary stuff huh? You're a liar and I hope you haven't wished illness into your universe with that stupid comment.

Dvtguru

600,000 people every year experience deep vein thrombosis with nearly 100,000 fatalities annually from pulmonary embolism. The problem is the public isn't educated enough about prevention. It is the #1 preventable cause of death in hospital and the "bean counters" in hospitals continue to lump prevention products in as a commodity. This is not an area to save a quick buck. Feel sorry for Serena. There are new products out there now for intervention that are a lot more effective and quicker then spending 4-5 days in ICU on a heparin drip.

Dorene

My prayers for Serena. My daughter suffered a PE and was hospitalized for a week. She had to go on blood thinners. A year later she developed another PE and had to have a filter inserted to prevent future clots to the lunds. This all happened when she was 36yrs old. She is now 43yrs old. You will get better Serena.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments