'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Jenny

God, at least he tried-
God Mike....No one wants Dr. Drew to be right- Maybe your soul can rest now, I know, sometimes it is so hard to feel and be alive. Rock n roll- live and die-

HarlotO'Hara

It's true Harlot. Saw him on Celebrity Rehab and he said he got high with his dad a lot. I can't remember if it had been past behavior or if it was still happening. Either way - Mike and his dad did do drugs together.

Posted at 4:13 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by Lisa

thanks, lisa! his dad ought not be shocked.

Nick

Sonja Im sorry you feel that way. However TEEN CHALLENGE helps people to not only get off drugs, but stay off of them with a new life in Christ Jesus. When you live for a higher purpose other than yourself, life takes on new meaning and purpose. I agree that some hyper-religious people twist the word of God to suit their own needs and manipulate others. However, you have to go past that and trust in the Word of God (the Bible) and not the words of others.

Karen

Sad so so sad THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY

crazy christmas pie

I need a drink. . . .

CrabbyPatty

Charlie Winner is a ****....just sayin'

Charlotte

Derek = some loser that is bitter because his girlfiend hooked up with Mike Starr back in the day after a concert. Seek therapy and get over it you loser!

RIP Mike

La Mom

Yep. Logged in again just to make sure the Mardi Gras Jagermeister hasn't hit me too hard ... :((( But alas, it's still true. Mike Starr dead. Dammit. %$#^&*%$@# !!!!

christy

So sorry that his demons would not allow him peace;
and that the camera-hugging "professionals" could not see this.
He chose when to go....
condolences to the family.

feliciarox

r.i.p Mike, so sorry to see. You were the one I rooted for most. God Bless his family, may him and Layne be jamming together in heaven. So sad.

3Storms

I remember my last month of my year in high school, Clash of the Titans tour. Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth, with a band of nobodies called "Alice in Chains" opening. They realy blew me away to where they over-shadowed the main acts.

God rest, brother.

mrs etherl mertz

More addicts have gone through "traditional" rehad that was not on TV. Many more than Dr. Drew's Celeb Rehad. Addicts relapse and die EVERYDAY. Why blame Dr. Drew's treatment, he doesn't have a magic wand... face it - your odds are pretty bad when you're a drug addict no matter who your Dr. is. If your're lucky enough to get into treatment you better take it damn serious. Period. May his family find peace. RIP.

Sonja

Sorry Nick, raised fundy Baptist.. trust me I know my bible that is why I can't stand religion. The bible (the word of man) is one hateful book.. actually try reading it sometime.. you might be shocked.

XPrettyBulletX>

RIP!
You will be missed....

Amy

That's very sad. RIP, Mike.