'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

My two cents ;)

This is so sad. RIP Mike Starr. You took a courageous battle to be sober and you tried. I really thought you seemed amazing when you came to visit the newest bunch of celebrity rehabbers. RIP dear man. You wont be suffering anymore

Charlie Winner

I guess he didn't have Adonis DNA? losin BIG

She's baaaack

Oh well. Next!

Majestik

Let's hope Steven Adler gets his butt back into rehab. Don't want to read another former rocker has passed on. There is a man that has some serious deep pain, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

thebyrdsfriend

I offer my condolences to Mike's family. I am so sad for his passing, because I had so much hope for him. He truly appeared to be a man who WANTED to survive. I am just so sad he couldn't beat this addiction. Oh how sorry I feel for him, unlike Charlie Sheen, Mike truly wanted to be a good person. He had no illusions of being better than anyone else, he had no sexually deviate ways about him, and he certainly had love for his fellow man. UNLIKE CHARLIE SHEEN!!
You know, I remember knowing from even childhood, reading the Bible, that it is hard for a rich man to make it into Heaven. I realize now, that Mike is in Heaven, and Charlie Sheen - well, let's just say his mind is not headed towards the pearly gates.
Rest in Peace Mike, from someone who never knew you, yet you touched my heart.

MAXny

Charlie Sheen is next!!!
RIP, Mike.

Balzac

He will be missed.

HarlotO'Hara

Why don't people ever blame the dumb fool who chose to put an overdose of drugs inside himself?

Posted at 3:57 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by Derek

Derek, now behave yourself. You know they have to blame someone else. Making them accountable for their choices is just rude.

Lynn

This is a real bummer. His mind was so wasted from the drug use, it was really hard for him to maintain. Derek, his douche-y behavior was simply a cover up for profound insecurity and sadness. Being in AIC was all he had that made him ever feel important. You have to have some compassion for the guy. I'm sorry for his family and especially Layne's mom. I wish Mike could have had the strength to stay clean so that Layne's death wouldn't have been totally for nothing. Now they are both probably sitting somewhere in the netherworld talking about what absolute dumbasses they both were and how they wasted their beautiful gift of life and talent. I fear Sheen will go the same way. His mind is already very damaged from drug use as well.

Charlie Winner

Mike Starr would be alive today if he ditched Dr Drew's house of exploit and gone to treatment at Charlie Sheen's Sober Valley Lodge! It's only at Charlie Sheen's Sober Valley Lodge where you can get a Keith Richards blood cleansing and re-injected with Tiger Blood!! Finalized by Gene therapy where you get adonis DNA loaded by their professionally trained and certifed Warlocks!!! No turds or trolls like Drew are welcome!!! Winning...

Sienna

I live extremely close to where he was found, I can't believe it! Salt Lake City is infamous for it's prescription pill use, it's just too bad he got sucked into it. RIP.

B

Recovery from addiction is a process and a daily, hourly, moment to moment choice that each person has to make whether they choose the road of Celebrity Rehab or other programs. The addict is the one who had to keep themselves on the proper path. Mike looked so much better the last time he was on Celebrity Rehab. I was really pulling for him to keep himself in the good place that he seemed to have finally found. Of course, his recent arrest was heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, and those who tried so hard to help him. To those who enabled him - this is what happens. People die.

RIP Mike

Sad sad

So very tragic. Rip. Charlie needs to pay attention.

sugarbee

You people blaming Dr.Drew are STUPID. Dr. Drew had nothing to do with this man choosing to use drugs. The guy had a major drug problem long before Dr.Drew ever met the guy. Starr was in other rehabs too, I guess it's their fault too? Nobody makes these people choose to do drugs. Dr.Drew and other rehabs help them get clean but they can't make them stay clean if they choose not to. No one is to blame except the idiot doing the drugs!

HarlotO'Hara

a few posters have said he got high with his dad.

this dad???

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."