Mel Gibson Strikes Plea Deal -- NO JAIL TIME

3/10/2011 7:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has struck an agreement with prosecutors and has made a plea deal in his looming criminal case ... sources connected with the L.A. County District Attorney tell TMZ ... and Mel will not get jail time.

0309_mel_gibson_plea_deal_EX_4
Our sources say Mel will appear in court Friday and will plead no contest to simple battery -- a lesser charge than corporal injury on a spouse.

As we first reported, Mel had been agonizing over the impending criminal charge -- related to the January 6, 2010 blowout with Oksana Grigorieva -- worried that a prolonged court fight would be a strain on his family, particularly his children.  We're told ... even though Mel believed he could win the case -- he struck the deal to protect his loved ones.

We're told the deal involves counseling but NO JAIL TIME.

When contacted for a response, Mel's lawyer, Blair Berk, released the following statement to TMZ:  "I know from almost 20 years as a criminal defense lawyer that sometimes justice can come for a client at too high a personal price.  That is particularly so for Mel, whose right to due process can only be exercised in this case with an enormous media circus attached."

Berk goes on, "Mel's priority throughout all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made.  It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end."

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

Kilmerfan

I buy a cup of coffee for Mel too. I think he did have his family’s best interests in mind. Justice comes at a heavy price court cases can go on forever and Lucia would be 30 years old by the time this is all cleared.

Oksana did not get her Stalin like show trial against Mel, she must be pissed. Tee Hee.

Team Mel

Superman

Yeah, right. Pfft. BS! He didn't want to go to jail for beating the mother of his child, so he got his lawyer to strike a plea deal. Another injustice of rich people getting away with the same crimes that send poor people to prison!

The only good thing I have to say for Mel Gibson is that his handlers are handling him better than the handlers of Charlie Sheen!

Ray

I hope the "good stuff" starts leaking out now. All the stuff LASD gathered on Picasso face. I want to know what was on that laptop of hers.

Posted at 8:55 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Tellthetruth59

I would like this as well.

Areawoman

So good of him to protect the daughter whose mother he battered while she was in her arms. SUCH an caring man.

tracie

I have had enough of this picking and choosing who goes to jail and who does not. If I went with my measly salary and hit a person I wouldn't be able to get a lawyer for one..and get stuck with a public defender and two they would give me 3-5 years in JAIL just to make an example out of my poor behind. I'm so sick of this crap..

rika

"We're told ... even though Mel believed he could win the case -- "

Haha right!.More like mad mel knew he'd loose and had little choice.

M. Gabriel

Posted at 8:55 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Tellthetruth59

I would like this as well.

Posted at 8:58 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Ray
*************************************************************

Me three!

joeboreal

Mel is Winning

Epic

Tiger's Blood

~db~

No jail time. Jail time was never even on the books.

anonym

I 'm glad this part is over and I'm sure Mel is. This is
a big weight off his shoulders. Ox will get hers in the
trial coming up. Can't wait for all her crap to finally bite
her in her ass. Go relax in the rain forest Mel. Love you!

Posted at 8:53 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by christy

This goddigger will get that she deserves very soon is a HELL.
Just wait!!

TMZgossip

OMG
I hope TMZ has Team LUNATIC on suicide watch!!!!!

Posted at 8:52 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by TMZgossip
-----------

LOL! You're a piece of work.

Posted at 8:54 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Tellthetruth59
...

you & your twin sweet'tard-the-banned are at the front of the bus

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

you get the feeling he just wants done with this whore and have her as far away as possible?

Posted at 8:44 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by azlee

He'll never get away for the Lying liar faced liar head with extra lying on top. IMO, he's made a mistake with this --there is no easy way out of this.

janet

good for mel. thats over. now nail her for extortation.

Curious

I'm a little disappointed that apparently Mr. Mel is deciding not to fight. On the other hand, it doesn't surprise me at all that he'd take a hit for the sake of his children.

So from DV, child endangerment and assault with a deadly weapon
- felony charges with mandatory jail time
to simple battery
- misdemeanor, pay a fine, go to counselling.
That takes care of Mr. Mel.

For Miss Oksana we're still waiting on extortion and filing a false police report.

Tammy

This is a loss for Ox because the prosecution didn't believe her version of what happened and did believe Mel that he slapped her when she was acting a fool and endangering Lucia. Oh well, I do think it's way past time this mess was over. I hope Mel is such a great dad that when Lucia gets old enough, she says she wants to live with him and not the lying biotch.