Mel Gibson Strikes Plea Deal -- NO JAIL TIME

3/10/2011 7:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has struck an agreement with prosecutors and has made a plea deal in his looming criminal case ... sources connected with the L.A. County District Attorney tell TMZ ... and Mel will not get jail time.

0309_mel_gibson_plea_deal_EX_4
Our sources say Mel will appear in court Friday and will plead no contest to simple battery -- a lesser charge than corporal injury on a spouse.

As we first reported, Mel had been agonizing over the impending criminal charge -- related to the January 6, 2010 blowout with Oksana Grigorieva -- worried that a prolonged court fight would be a strain on his family, particularly his children.  We're told ... even though Mel believed he could win the case -- he struck the deal to protect his loved ones.

We're told the deal involves counseling but NO JAIL TIME.

When contacted for a response, Mel's lawyer, Blair Berk, released the following statement to TMZ:  "I know from almost 20 years as a criminal defense lawyer that sometimes justice can come for a client at too high a personal price.  That is particularly so for Mel, whose right to due process can only be exercised in this case with an enormous media circus attached."

Berk goes on, "Mel's priority throughout all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made.  It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end."

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

Paulette

Prays, prays, prays.....

jode

Man, lot of hate today.

I think this is about right. I think the custody stuff is done so finalizing this gives Mel his life back. Millions of dollars have already been spent and let's face it the media is biased against him. So for him, it's done.....for her...not so much.. I HOPE!!

M. Gabriel

Well, I'm not in Mel's shoes to tell him what to do. It has been a long fight and the grifter banks on wearing him out.

I do feel though that TMZ is not telling it all...Based on the anxiety over at ROL with the KH postings, I feel that there is something in the pipeline against the OX. I hope that I am right and that she's charged with something while Mel takes on this plea deal.

Posted at 9:23 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Hahaha
*************************************************************

I'm with you all the way on this!

chica musical

he made the right decision. Like you all are perfect? Please.

Ray

I think it would be quite telling if there are no leaks about Ms. Oksana.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

maybe the next time this tough guy decides to smack around a woman he will think twice,,,then again maybe not..once a woman beater..always a woman beater..just ask his ex wife..oops she isnt talking because he paid her off

fuddyduddy

@ Chris,

Re: Mel 2006 DUI

Nothing sinister. Many times people plead out, and once they have met all the requirements of their plea deal, sentence or probation, the charges are "dismissed".

Posted at 6:04 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by realist

fuddyduddy

The ROL story right now is making it sound like Alexander would have been the witness to take Mel down. I cannot stand ROL.

TMZgossip

nope
from the beginning I stated that I wanted both of them charged with every crime possible -- so that we'd finally see *EVIDENCE* instead of being fed kaka from *sources close to...*

Posted at 9:05 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by TMZgossip

________________________

Granny, you are so amusing! The idea that you expect to learn 'facts' from a gossip site, as opposed 'kaka' from 'sources close to' is so much funnier than any of your mean spirited anonymous jibes. And you. Hiding behind an old lady moniker to poke anonymous fun at other posters to make yourself feel superior. Sad. And yet funny.

Kathleen

Posted at 9:15 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by kkg
...

English comprehension isn't your strong suit.
'kaka' is exactly what I expect from gossip sites
and of late, mainstream media just regurgitates the same crap, rather then doing any investigative journalism. The only place I expect to see evidence is in a courtroom.

as for the 'hiding behind a moniker' claim -- everyone here has a site name, including yourself. Will putting a first name in a post change that for you?

rg1

Hey lady Oksana was shaking the baby. Mel was trying to stop her from shaking the kid.

Posted at 9:12 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Kilmerfan

No he wasn't.

Posted at 9:16 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by rika
***********
@ rika
Obviously that's not what the DA thinks.

Hey Now

He needs anger management for sure. Those tapes are vile.

fuddyduddy

@ Chris,

Re: Mel 2006 DUI

Posted at 6:04 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by realist

Stacy

I think it would be quite telling if there are no leaks about Ms. Oksana.

Posted at 9:29 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by Ray
-----------------------------------------------------------

The whole media coverage has been quite telling since this started.
Hopefully they'll at least cover the charges against her. After that they probably won't cover her at all and if she's convicted it will just be a little blurb in a newspaper. The media only cared about dragging Mel through the mud.

M. Gabriel

Posted at 9:31 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by fuddyduddy
****************************************************************

But of course! Oksana is the innocent damsel in distress and Alexandre is the knight in shining armor hero! I'm disgusted!!!

angelika466

Posted at 9:31 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by fuddyduddy

I think the story is bizarre. I bet Dalton was not going to let Sasha get on the stand and lie for his mom. Just a strange story.