Gilbert Gottfried

Fired by Aflac

Over Japan Tweets

3/14/2011 6:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac from his gig as the voice of its duck mascot in the wake of his controversial series of tweets about the earthquake in Japan.

Gilbert Gottfried Fired Aflac
The company released a statement saying, "Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac ... Aflac will immediately set plans in motion to conduct a nationwide casting call to find a new voice of the iconic Aflac Duck."

Attempts to reach Gottfried were not successful.

Robert

"260....

Come on people... water killed those people in Japan. Does that mean people should never drink water ?

As for Gilbert... the answer to the question he is thinking is... Yes Gilbert, it might be too soon !

Posted at 10:26 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by Joe"

Are you seriously comparing a grown ass man choosing to make jokes about Japan's current situation and a natural disaster?

jeffdajet

There's absolutely nothing funny about these kinds of remarks or jokes. I mean how would you feel personally if your friends, love ones died ..... and some stupid low life A Hole jokes about it ?
? ? ? ?

RedCarpetBandit.com

Gottfried is washed up and his career is crumbling around him.

jerry kelly

How pathetic!! Where's everybody's sense of humor???

Scotty Groppo

hey...first off....who would be on THIS site...or watchin THIS show...if not to find humor....(or watch the train wreck aka Charlie Sheen??)and actually HAVE a sense of humor?? This site is in the ENTERTAINMENT section of your browser...not the freakin news....so why take his jokes soooo seriously??? He's a comedian....not a presidential candidate!!!! The polls say every one still likes Mel Gibson....and yet most of the comments came from "OUTRAGED VIEWERS"....Gimme an effin break!!!

Laura

Get a life people. You all are getting way too worked up over something that doesn't even effect you.

Do I think he should have been fired? No. He was not representing the company with his words. I believe that was a personal account and not a professional AFLAC account? On the same token, be prepared if your Twitter/Facebook or blog gets censored by your employer.

A little tacky? Probably. However, there are people who say worse things and get away it with.

Dee Harris

I didn't know he was the voice of the duck till this flap. If they'd left it alone I wouldn't have seen the stupid jokes. If he can't do better than that I can see why no one's paying him to do stand up. But..not grounds for firing.

steve

as long as they stop using all of the duck commercials I am ok with this. If they continue to use the ads I would hope all Americans would boycott this company

Gregg

George Takei should voice the Aflac duck

theresa

Lighten up Aflac. Don't you think we are a little anal. He's a comedian. You knew it when you hired him. I guess they are a bunch of old prudes.

richard rolwing

Hey Gilbert--I've got some good jokes about the Holocaust!
You probably had some relatives that died in it.

FreedomofHavingasenseofhumor

I'd like to believe that in America comedians(people with a sense of humor) could make fun of anyone and any situation with or without a mourning period. Gilbert has always had a very "tasteful" imagination and I salute him. He will never be washed up because they'd never allow him citizenship to Japan...enjoy!

SBH

At least 75% of AFLAC’s business comes from Japan, and Gottfried’s jokes were in VERY poor taste! AFLAC must protect its corporate image, thus firing Gottfried was its only choice.

Bob

Dear Gilbert,

I am happy to see you manned up and apologized. For that, you don't have to send me that check you promised. Instead take that money and make a donation to the Red Cross and REALLY do the right thing. I may even tune into the roast now and watch you.

Bob

Bob

BTW Gilbert, so you know it's really me... Bob aka "nohype" which Jlesh can verify...

Bob