'Celeb' Rehabber Mike Starr -- Funeral Plans on Hold

3/15/2011 7:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ex-Alice In Chains bassist Mike Starr won't be getting a funeral for another few weeks -- we're told, the medical examiner put the family's burial plans on hold ... in order to perform more tests on Mike's body.

0308_mike_starr_EX_VH1
No word yet on what tests still need to be done ... but Mike's family ain't waiting around -- we're told they're holding a memorial without Mike's body this Sunday in Seattle for friends and family ... to give them a chance to pay their respects early.

Once Mike's body is back in the family's possession, sources tell us, they plan to hold TWO funeral services -- one for fans, and one for family.

As we previously reported, Mike died suddenly last week in a Salt Lake City home -- after mixing methadone and anxiety pills.

Cartman

Big fan, very sad.

Drugs are bad, it's not just a SouthPark meme. They are a deadend, no pun intended.

Howie

RIP. You made wonderful music. Very sad.

JohnnyBOYYYYYY

I would do the same in the families situation.

dd

Wow more pain for his parents.

Egiap

Something about this doesn't sound right. The ME (medical examiner) can take samples of body fluids, tissues and bones - anything that is needed for further testing - and does NOT have to keep the entire body in order to do the tests. Just take the samples you need (should have been done days ago) and release the body to the family. Geesh.

Sharon

I learned the news as soon as I woke up that day. It was scrolling at the bottom of my tv screen. My thoughts and prayers go out to all his loved ones.

tlm

No great loss. He was an a*ss on Celebrity Rehab and acted like the world owed him something. Good riddance, a*sswipe.

t

I don't think technically drugs killed him. I mean, he did drugs for years and that certainly lead him to the state his health was in, but I really think this will be like Brittany Murphy and that the cause of death will be respiratory distress or pneumonia.

Hussie

To those leaving negative comments, remember one thing - this could easily be someone you know and love...

I was really pulling for Mike, as he was tormented by many demons...Losing Layne the way it went down certainly played a HUGE part in Mike's continuing addiction...

To both Mike and Layne's mothers; Your boys may be gone, but they will NEVER be forgotten...They're in a place with no pain, where they can look after each other for eternity...

OooooNooo!

". . . they plan to hold TWO funeral services -- one for fans, and one for family."

Really? How many "fans" of 'Alice In Chains' are still out there? Come on. They weren't the freaking Rolling Stones!

Theresa

I just feel like he was using Layne's death as an excuse to continue using and manipulate pity. He was living in the past and still wishing he was a star. That was the real reason he was in so much pain.

Muppet

I really thought he was going to make it. I felt so bad for him on celeb rehab. He was so consumed with guilt over the death of his friend and the loss of his career with AIC. It sounds like things were turning around for him, unfortunately the residual effects of drugs often take their toll even if the person has kicked the habit. May he RIP now. :(

MIDNIGHT TOKER

if he smoked pot this clown would still be alive....his band sucked anyways...

BSweet

I just want to know - suicide or OD? I guess OD....

abram hernandez

LOVE YOU MIKE STARR... YOU ENTERTAINED ME FOR SO LONG. THANK YOU FOR THE PARTY. I am still smiling... R.I.P.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments