Enrique Iglesias: My Ego Couldn't Handle Britney

3/30/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Enrique Iglesias dropped out of the upcoming Britney Spears concert tour because his ego couldn't handle being her opening act ... multiple sources connected with the tour tell TMZ.

0329_enrique_iglesias_getty_ex_2

We're told lawyers and agents for Britney and Enrique were hammering out an agreement for weeks, and the terms were finessed to make Enrique appear to be a co-headliner.  We're told both sides agreed to the deal and that's why the announcement was made Tuesday.

But just hours before Britney's camp went public, Enrique was burning up the phone lines and the Internet, engaging various people connected with the tour in lengthy conversations in which he made it clear -- he was, in reality, Britney's opening act and he wanted out.

One source says the deal was actually very favorable to Enrique ... "great terms and great placement."  But we're told it all came down to taking the stage before Brit -- too much to handle.

Jem

Why is this woman getting headlines on the same page of the Japan disaster and the Middle East Crisis. Are people that stupid to read this crap. I'm just tired of seeing it on the front of goodgle news.

Dina

That is pathetic!

Him opening up for Britney Spears would probably be the only way most people would see him perform!

Now who is actually going to go out of there way to purchase Enrique Iglesias tickets? Really?

(I am a fan but not to that extent!)

Enrique Iglesias is what I call, a Convenient performer. He has to be convenient in order to see him. Many celebs fall in this catorgory! And I'm a afraid he is one of them. He will so learn what a convenient performer is... the hard way.

CarolynAB

These young folks just don't value or appreciate an opportunity when they get one.

Is Iglesias aware of the massive fortune Britney made off her "Circus" tour? (Granted, she lip-synched through it all, even getting booed in Australia for it. Kudos to them. Why do WE accept Britney and Madonna lip-synching?)

Iglesias may never get a chance for this much exposure again. And his replacement--whomever it is--will capitalize off this big time.

jc

I know this guy has some sort of fame, but hes not exactly burning up the charts. I would think he would be grateful for the income.

Tonocka

clearly Britney is the bigger star....he should be grateful!

RMartin

Britney should open for Calle 13

elduderino

Her tour is gonna flop. Enrique just made himself look bad so he wouldn't have to tell Brit she's lost her edge.

Just....Meh

Hey y'all!

yup

That's like poop telling vomit it stinks.

jp

good decision britney sucks

Joe

Wait, I'm confused. Britney's gardener wants to sing and headling as well?

Joe

I mean "headline".

janja

I don't blame him, he likely thought she was ready for tour. Clearly on the morning show it looked like she was not. Same dance moves, and she has no confidence to sing live, it's a shame. She clearly was not very out of shape for this sort of thing. I think she thinks and maybe she can just call it in.

MikeP

Too bad, for the concert attendees,
They might have gotten to hear someone actually sing

TheHOLETruth

Poor boy, even if she performed before him, does he REALLY believe that folks are going to stick around to hear him sing [I mean perform]? BTW I don't know anything he sings...