'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

3/30/2011 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten just learned a hard lesson ... late is not always better than never ... because she just got blown off by the family of a "Make-a-Wish" boy.

Barefoot Contessa

You'll recall ... Enzo -- a 6-year-old with cancer -- wanted to cook a meal with Ina, but she couldn't find the time.

After TMZ broke the story, Ina took lots of heat.  So Monday night she called Enzo's family and offered for them to come to the Food Network for a cookout.

Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed:  "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions.  We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

As TMZ previously reported -- Enzo's new wish to swim with dolphins is already in the works, and Adrian tells us it will be fulfilled in August.

Jim

Ina: You got caught, plain and simple. Nothing will change that and nothing will change the public's perception of you thumbing your nose at a child with cancer.

You'll be better off to walk away from your show, before it's cancelled for lack of people CARING. I'm sure you understand, THAT.

g

Food Network do the right thing cancel her show. Time to step up

Lemonade

Can you say "entitlement?" Why should she drop business? She didn't cause the kid's cancer. She sure as hell can't cure it. She would have made the time for him if she could.

She offered what she could - a cook-out on the show with the family. But, it's not good enough for the family. Screw them!

Lyd

No Ina is not a social worker she is a human being. She had a year to make up her mind. She decided not to do it. I will not watch her anymore. I will tell 2 people NOT to watch and they will tell 2 people and so on and on..bye bye ****_essa. I love Buddy Valastro now...Oh the power of the internet...

daveedt

it wasn't the fact that she's busy...it's the quote about " if everyone wanted to meet me, there wouldn't be enough days in a year", or something to that effect. I hope his second wish comes true....She could've, at least sounded sincere, in her being busy....

Tea Party Mom

She's just another lying liberal.

Heidi Vanderhoeven

Ina thinks she too big for her britches...oh wait she is!!! LMAO!!!

doggrowl

You *******s who're defending this pompass bitch need to realize that celebrities thrive on attention, and can afford one moment of their time to help even just one person. You can make all the excuses you wish, but what she did was ****y. Leave it at that.

LWhite

I just love Enzo and his family! Good for them!

TmZebrA

never liked the c u n tessa anyways..anyone who is famous..its part of being famous is doing for your fans. i dont know any real star that has ever turned down a make a wish kid.PS food network is gay!

shelley

Some years back I saw a TV news story on charities looking at at who has the most overhead costs. It was definitely Make-a-Wish. So much of your donation goes to admin costs that I have never and never will donate to them.

Also, last Aug./Sept I contacted Sam the Cooking Guy as he (and I) live in San Diego. I was working on a charity event for a non-profit and asked if Sam could donate a signed cookbook or two or maybe one of his grills. His assistant responded to me with, "I am sorry, but we will have to pass on this." Pass on this? I was so offended by that reply and chalked it up to his assistant being as smarmy and arrogant as he is. Remember when Sam was on with Kathie Lee and Hoda? Wow, they let HIM know it was their show and their kitchen as he made an ass of himself.

tgrfan42069

im glad they said this to her..only reason she changed her mind was because of the heat.she didnt want to do it.

Trish

I know I lost all respect for Ina. Too busy to make a childs dream come true? Shame on you! I am sure swimming with the dolphins will be much more fun!

Susan

For sure a sick kid tugs at your heartstrings...However, shame on Harvey for starting this whole thing going in the 1st place.
We are all busy people and we all have the right to decide which charity we feel is best for us to contribute our time and money to.
Many people do not like being around sick people young or old. Maybe it brings up bad memories or it just makes them feel very sad.
Who are we to judge?

jstuddle

Should serve as a warning to all celebrities to never deal with Make-A-Wish unless you are willing to do whatever they say whenever they say it.