Kurt Cobain Shrine -- Set in Stone

4/5/2011 4:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain has yet another way to be immortalized -- TMZ has learned, a 13-foot statue of a guitar was erected today ... in honor of the 17th anniversary of his death.

0405_kurt_cobain_memorial_statue_EX
The statue will be unveiled this afternoon in Cobain's hometown of Aberdeen, WA.  We're told his grandfather is expected to attend, as well as former band members from Nirvana.

TMZ spoke with the statue's artist -- Lora Malakoff -- who tells us, the guitar will rest near the infamous Young Street Bridge, which the musician often sought refuge under to write lyrics.

A moment of silence please.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

dont think he even played guitar

SweetPea

Wow! Its been 17 years- I can't believe it!!
Side note- no mention of if Courtney or if Frances Bean will be there?!?!

D

That is a very cool lookin guitar.

Rhubino

I hope it's really heavy and securely bolted down.

go home!

ugh, who even cares anymore? he was a loser that killed himself and abandoned his baby daughter with a drug addicted mother. Selfish prick.

Jinny

He absolutely played guitar. I wish I could be there in time for this, but at least I'll get to see it later. I'm in Aberdeen about once a month. :)

CrashAndBurn

Worshipping the Heroin is more like it. Without the crack/meth/weed/heroin... musicians are simply nothing.

rhode

Man, stories like this make me feel old. I was a teenager then. Now my teenager is 6'1" and makes me feel short. Hold on to your youth kids, don't blast it away like Cobain.

SweetPea

@rhode
I'm with you... I just can't believe I was barely a teen when he died-now I'm 30! Heres another thing to make you feel old- The local "oldies" stations around where I live plays 80's music. Because thats now considered oldies- omg! lol

Brooke

Are Courtney Love, Francis, and Dave Grohl all going to be there? That could get interesting...

Criss

Damn, even though intellectually I know when he died, it still seems weird that it's been 17 friggin years!

Johnny Carcinoma

If Courtney Love was my wife, I would have offed myself as well.

Smells like teen failure. That is one ugly statue.

AyeJay

I live here in Aberdeen(: But what's funny is they're putting it in a really sh-tty part of town where its all run down houses, and I'm sure they'll put it where his memorial is that is right next to the bridge he stayed under. Also, I highly doubt Courtney will be here. Plus all this town is filled with drug-addict white people and low class mexicans. Good thing I live in the rich part of Aberdeen in the highlands looking down to all the town.

Fish

I hate to nitpick but Cobain was a lefty guitar player.

BREAKFAST4

If Kurt Cobain were alive today he would have a really big hole in his head.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments