Matt Lauer

Jockeying for

$25 MILLION Payday

4/8/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matt Lauer is not seriously interested in leaving NBC -- unlike his co-host Meredith Vieira -- but he is bucking for a massive raise to $25 million dollars per year.

Matt Lauer Leaving NBC
Sources connected with NBC tell us all the talk about Matt leaving NBC's "Today" is nothing more than a well-timed negotiating ploy.  Remember, the Matt buzz started right after reports surfaced Meredith will leave in September.

"Today" has been the #1 morning news show for 15 years -- a virtual cash register for the Peacock -- and we're told Matt wants his slice of the pie ... in other words ... $25 mil.

Lauer currently gets by on $17 million per year.

UPDATE: A rep for NBC says they are "NOT in any negotiations with Matt ... as he is under contract for a long time."

Danielle

This just makes me sick and it is nothing but greed, I will never watch the show again. The networks want cable subscribers to pay now to be able to see them on cable, the money is obviously going to pay these outrageous salaries - his greed is causing us everyday folks to shell out more of the money we don't have. What does Matt Lauer do for society or even for any business that is beneficial to people, nothing. His show is even on when most people are at work.

Danielle

You're all missing the point. NBC makes a fortune from Today, and Lauer is saying he expects more of those profits.

Maybe $25 million is a bit too much for any one person to be paid, but it's not unreasonable for him to say "I'm one of the people who help make NBC so much money, I expect some more of it for me".

NBC can afford it, and they should give it to him. If he leaves, Today isn't worth as much as it is now. It is "cheaper" for NBC to suck it up and give that to him, than let him leave and watch the viewers turn off, making their product less profitable.

Posted at 8:24 AM on Apr 8, 2011 by k84
-----------------
I get the premise, I understand it, but do you really think the network is not going increase other costs to make up for any payraise they give to him regardless of their take from the show. These acts are pogressive. Plus the networks want to start charging the cable companies to run them on cable, so here comes an icrease in our cable costs. It is greed on his part, I think even $17 mil is excessive.

Audrey

i stopped watching the today show even before katie left. i think they are all just idiots. i tried watching meredith... but she was worse!!! they need to replace EVERYONE for me to start watching again

Ms. L

I work for the government and being furloughed with no pay.... who gives a F about his money!!!! He sits and read what someone else wrote, while I work 10.5 hours a day, plus a PT job to make ends meet for ME. No kids, no husband just me a mortgage and car note.

Get over yourself Matt and NBC.

maggie mae

He's not even worth $17 million. Let him go!

cindy

Matt is the smugist guy on TV and yes I know who Bill O'Rielly is I stopped watching today a couple years ago GMA has my vote

aiden

and i want world peace.

Hesakokehd

That'll buy Ol' Matt an awful lot nose snow!

Suzanne

I predict Katie Couric is coming back and Matt is out the door.

stalven

he is no tom brokaw...Cant stand the trashbag M>LO

Mary Ann Henrich

THAT IS JUST TOTALLY LUDICROUS, DISGUSTING, AND NAUSIATING!!!! NONE OF THEM SHOULD BE PAID THAT MUCH...ESPECIALLY IN THE CURRENT ECONOMIC DISASTER IN THE U.S.!!!! AND INCLUDING OUR POLITICIANS!!!

marge

He should go too. I don't know one person who watches NBC for the news. Seriously???? They're ALL overpaid. They never report the issues of the day anyway. Only what they want you to hear. I haven't watched NBC in over 20 for the news. Terrible. I never liked Meredith even when she was on The View...another awful program. So she won't be missed either. They need some new blood on there. The others are all stale.

Tina

I have watched this show for many years and love him. I stopped tuning in as much after Katie left but if Matt leaves I suppose I may be done. Let's just hope they move Ann & Al up to those two spots!

Michael7307

Matt you greedy jerk, you know there are thousands of people including ME who cant find a job and 17 million isnt good enough for you. I guess you are just good NOT!

Why?

Ohh poor little Mattiepooh he only gets 17 mil now...while many people in this country are trying to figure out where to get enough money to eat and not become homeless...I really feel sorry for him...and his low wages