Dennis Quaid:

I Was COKED OUT

During 'Big Easy'

4/11/2011 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dennis Quaid says he was so coked out of his mind during the time he was shooting "The Big Easy" back in the '80s ... he was sleeping ONE hour a night in between drug sessions.

0411_dennis_quaid_bn_tmz
Quaid spilled his guts about his cocaine addiction in the '70s and '80s to Newsweek ... calling it his "greatest mistake."

Quaid explained, "I’d wake up, snort a line, and swear I wasn’t going to do it again that day. But then 4 o’clock rolled around, and I’d be right back down the same road like a little squirrel on one of those treadmills."

Quaid says he finally realized the severity of his addiction when his band broke up ... saying, "I kind of realized I was going to be dead in five years if I didn’t change my ways. The next day I was in rehab."

In the end, Quaid says the experience helped him grow as a person -- "If I hadn’t gone through that period, I don’t know if I’d still be acting."

Cynstriss

Glad to hear a success story, and I love Dennis Quaid, so this is doubly great to hear from him. Congrats on your continued sobriety Dennis!

Chef Jack Tripper

He always looked like a Pepsi fan to me.

ted

Hes still acting?... ?

Kathy

Geez! Can't these people keep anything private? What a disappointment--does everybody do drugs in Hollywood? Is that a naive question?!!!

adelle

I don't think there is a single person out there that has dealt with substance abuse problems that would say they don't regret dabbling in drugs to begin with. For many people who have had this issue they would probably say it was their greatest mistake. Good for him getting clean though, it's probably one of the most difficult things in the world to battle and overcome. Don't do drugs, kids.

Stan

Well he still DRINKS!! His problem might of been coke but he still isn't sober. Gateway drug is always booze!

Fallopia Lopez

Ted - LOL - exactly!

LOL

Well we all now know about the quaids and their addictions- explains the randy quaid mess for sure!

`

PRO US

And he was never arrested for snorting cocaine for 2 decades because there's one legal system for celebrities and another for the rest of us. Now, that he's admitted to repeatedly breaking the law, throw his sorry ass in jail!

Ava

Yes He Still Makes Movies, actually make like 3 - 4 a year, and big name movies...

jmk

Love him in the Big Easy - he was so sexy!

harvey is my DAD! I have Proof!

harvey is my DAD! i have proof! here >> http://www.youtube.com/user/BaddBoyBlanco <<.. I just want my father back!

Muppet

Maybe now he can talk his brother into rehab so he can get off the crazy train!

stu

u can do drugs & still age well.

efnsteve

`

Posted at 10:14 AM on Apr 11, 2011 by LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How does his cocaine addiction........that is more than 25 years over, explain the Randy Quaid mess? Please, I'm all ears.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments