'Idol' Finalist -- Saved By REAL Judge After Arrest

4/15/2011 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" finalist Jacob Lusk threw himself at the mercy of a court back in November -- begging a judge to end his probation from a 2009 arrest so he could compete on "A.I." ... TMZ has learned.

0414_ex_mugshot_2_jacob_lusk

It all started back in February 2009 -- when cops cited Jacob for riding on an L.A. metro train without buying a ticket. Jacob blew off his court hearing and an arrest warrant was issued.

Fast forward to Nov. 2010 -- a day after Jacob auditioned for "Idol" and got his golden ticket to Hollywood -- Lusk was pulled over for a traffic stop. The cop discovered the warrant and arrested him.

Jacob went to jail and then to court the next day and pled no contest to the train-hopping charge.  He was sentenced to 3 days in jail and 2 years probation.

Jacob served his time and then went back to court, telling the judge "Idol" wouldn't let him on the show if he was on probation.  After his emotional plea, the merciful judge terminated his probation.

Fun Fact -- On night one in the pokey, Jacob sang to 170 inmates, who liked it a lot.  Thing is, the guard wasn't a fan, screaming through the loud speaker, "This isn't a f**king singing contest."

Undaunted, we're told Lusk sang over the next day-and-a-half, preparing for "Idol."  And on his last day, Lusk sang a farewell song, and another guard went on the loud speaker and said it was "bad ass!"

UPDATE: Lusk tweeted this morning, "I've been through a whole lot more than folks would know in this lifetime...BUT GOD has KEPT ME...and I am so thankful! Be blessed!"

Americentric

I'm gonna take a guess if he didn't have a dollar fifty for the fare he probably didn't have two hundred and fifty for the fine. This just criminalizes the poor.

Runsallyrun

From the beginning there was something that annoyed me about Jacob. Folk who are not sexy should not try to be. Now...being sexy is not all about good looks, it can be about how one carries themselves. "Jacob ain't sexy ya" The is nothing worse than a sinner trying to tell someone else how they should live...hell shutup and show them. In fact, the mentor on the show put him in check Tuesday night about preaching to others when you have not sold a single record. He is very annoying to watch which may not be his fault, but nonetheless he is more suited for being in a choir.
Who knows, he will probably win and be a splash in the fan like some of the other winners.

bobcat37847

3 days jail for what? A train ticket! No wonder the jails are jammed up with NON Criminal Offenders. Probation on top of jail. Are you kidding me. This just proves that the judicial system in California are way screwed up.

alex

Nice! who says black people don't get fair treatments:) good example if the guy is doing positive things in life he wil always get fair treatment and someone always deserves a second chance:) God Bless!

gbtw

so ridiculous. the guy basically serves three days in jail for hopping a free ride on an l.a. train (and if you've been on their trains, you appreciate how worthless a ticket is). sure, he didn't deal with it properly- but celebs get less time than that for dui's! wow.

Matt

His gonaa make a change in once of his life

shirshal

American Idol VS American Justice: He ignored his date!! Would a Judge delete a probation for you or I??

Keith

Jacob is a wonderful person. We need more than ever for people to vote for this talented young man. Look at what his fellow artist did on his behalf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2aSP3GlQg - "Vote 50+ for Jacob Lusk"

Love Music

So, Jacob thinks we should look in the mirror, maybe we should have been looking in the Police Blotter instead, what a hypocrit. And then he uses religion and God to get people to vote for him. I surely hope the public gets him now. His uncalled for comment, now this, making believe he is so spiritual, he needs to just go back to Gospel music and stop trying to make fools of everyone.

spyke

Self-righteous little hypocrite, I knew it! It is so easy to spot a phony, unless of course you are completely blind. I agree with Marty's comments. I also agree that people are quick to make horrible racist slur and that is never okay either but there are just as many black people who shout racism at every turn so..pot meet kettle. Kettle this is pot.
Stop comparing him to celebs, he managed to get his sentenced (which he deserved for breaking the law and ignoring his court date maybe he expected God to take care of it for him) reduced and if memory serves, these people you are comparing him with have all done time in jail, regardless of how short their sentence. Hate his singing, hate his attitude and just watch his body language when he is onstage with the others, he stands apart from them because he honestly believes he is better. Was thrilled to see Paul go home but at least he is not phony, here's hoping Jacob is next, unless people are still voting for the worst.

cchann

And you guys have never done anything wrong in your life. Maybe if he couldn't afford a train ticket he couldn't afford a fine and maybe he forgot to show up. And maybe he didn't. His Judge obviously thought this was time served, so who are YOU to judge. Give me a break.

Kim

I believe it was Jacob himself who threw the first punch when he made the statement on idol about if he got voted off it wasn't because he didn't get it right or that he sang bad, but because we could not look at ourselves in the mirror, which was before I knew anything about him having been in jail. So, I think if he is going to get up and preach....he needs to preach to the man in the mirror FIRST!!! Oh yeah, and one more thing...he blows at more than singing! I think he is not what he is trying to appear to be. Also, he can't sing Let's Get It On,(by one of the best singers EVER!) but can do the hip gyration on live TV? Get real and see Jacob for what he is-A BIG PHONY! As for Lindsey, Charlie and the rest....well, I do not like them either...I believe if you do the crime...do the time...NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!and the punishment should be the same across the board! I have seen juveniles get locked up for less than what Charlie, Lindsey or Jacob have done.

Kim

I believe it was Jacob himself who threw the first punch when he made the statement on idol about if he got voted off it wasn't because he didn't get it right or that he sang bad, but because we could not look at ourselves in the mirror, which was before I knew anything about him having been in jail. So, I think if he is going to get up and preach....he needs to preach to the man in the mirror FIRST!!! Oh yeah, and one more thing...he blows at more than singing! I think he is not what he is trying to appear to be. He hurts my head! If Jacob wins this year...I will never watch Idol again. Better singers have already been voted off!

lili

i donot care what he did in past,everybody make mistake and learn from mistake.we are human.jacob has amazing and strongest voice,he can sing high or low sound,he is special and ashinig star.

tony

The only reason Jacb Lusk is still on Idol is because of racism. Thats right I said it. He is black and gets the votes and support from the black community not because he is a better singer than the others but simply because he is black. How fair is that. Come on people this is a singing show. Judge the contestants on their talent not their skin colol. GROW UP!