Demi Lovato

I Began Cutting Myself

At Age 11

4/19/2011 11:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Demi Lovato has admitted that she was a "cutter" -- and began self-mutilating her wrists at age 11.

0419-demi-lovato-bn-tmz-01

Lovato opened up to "20/20" about her recent stint in a treatment center -- where she was treated for cutting, bulimia and other emotional issues.

18-year-old Lovato said the cutting was, "A way of expressing my own shame, of myself, on my own body."

She adds, "I was matching the inside to the outside. And there were some times where my emotions were just so built up, I didn't know what to do. The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself."

During the interview, Lovato also says she takes "100 percent, full responsibility" for attacking her back-up dancer Alex Welch last year ... saying, "I feel horrible, [She] was my friend."

Lovato says she hopes her story can "open up the eyes of so many young girls" who are fighting the same issues.

1101_demi_lovato_footer_V2

yo

I better be first or ....

lil harvey

T M I

Sono

"The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself."

I thought she was in rehab b/c she punched some backup dancer in the face, not cutting or whatever else she's blaming that on?

BroRo

Ahhhh...so we're supposed to feel sorry for the person who physically abuses/attacks other people??? I don't think so.

dd

Oh Brother

jason

This girl deserves nothing but sympathy.

EastCoastChopper

Why is it - that only the developed, mostly white nations/cultures have eating disorders and self mutilation? (USA, UK, Australia and Canada) -

You can bet the peeps of Ethiopia and Cambodia do not binge & purge or cut themselves -

me

Who cares,attention grabber.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

people who cut themselves usually were abused as kids,its a form of wslef hate and some werid thing t6hat if they bleed they know they are alive..lots of girls do it for some reason

crabbygirl81

@ Me - I totally agree...

anon

some of you people commenting are sick! calling her names like "emo"
& "trash". you people need to take a second look in the mirror then maybe you will see who's the trash! Demi has battled things that many teenagers take their own lives over.. she battled these things while having the additional pressure of fame and the media. it is amazing that this girl is still with us and did not fall a victim to suicide. Demi has also admitted that she understands that what she did to bgirlshorty was incredibly wrong and that she regrets her actions. Demi is NOT looking for sympathy, she wants to help other girls who are/have dealt with the same or similar issues she has.
So if you can honestly say you still hate this girl after reading/watching her interview on the ABC on friday than i can honestly say that you are truly heartless

Victoria

Demi youve been given an opportunity many wish for!! and now we should feel sorry for you! there are plenty of actors out there that start young and keep it together. we are all human and have our moments but famous people are in the spotlight i get that but c'mon im not at all sorry for you!! your not a victum get your a*# together!

Lisa

At first when I heard this girl punched someone else and went to rehab for emotional issues I thought she was a brat and rehab was a copout (which I still kind of do), but I commend her for owning up to everything she did. I say give her a second chance, we don't know what she had to go through growing up. WTF kind of normal person puts their kids in showbiz??? I'm sure her parents are real gems and did a GREAT job raising her(trying to use her to make $$$). Anyway, at least she's not like Lindsay, Paris, and other celebs who deny, deny, deny. She did not have to do that interview or open up about anything.

Bubbles The Chimp

.... and yet she, being so full of emotional stresses and a total wreck, had enough strength to audition for acting jobs, and record music and tour for $$$.

Not believing this for a moment.

duhwinner

wow, i'll never understand "cutting", but i hope the young lady gets better and stays healthy

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments