Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

Jose'

Just saw the Passion for the third time. Don't know anything about "tapes" but Mel is a tremendous talent. I'm sorry about the problems with his spouse, but after watching the "Passion" I believe he has a God given talent. I saw the movie for the first time with a Muslim friend. He was soo exited because Aramaic is so close to Arabic, and he understood every word.

God bless you Mel Gibson.

croc

well, he has a big mouth,,but so what? i still like him and the movies he has made.. and if he keeps making good movies, i will go see them..he is better than charlie sheen, and the likes of him.. winner, my azz!

Annie

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie

MoonDust

this is just another Charlie sheen azzho le no doubt, cant believe people support his ass

TMZgossip

Team LUNATIC haven't been alerted that there is a new thread.
They are all still loving Zach and the Hangover thread

TMZgossip

angelika466 4 minutes ago

oh, nite all
...

g'nite ange

Firefly

Hi TMZg

I told them.

arnie

Racist moron Mel was convicted of domestic violence..... no one cares what he has to say even as a beaver LMAO.

Kilmerfan

"'have been edited' doesn't mean they are fake"

Yes it does we don't know in what context those comments were made, if it was just Mel reading lines from a script to a movie or sound bites lifted from one of his movies and remixed.

Roger Ebert is taking old sound bites from his old TV show and remixing them so he can talk in a normal voice not a computer voice. So with the tech these days you can fake everything even this.

Firefly

All you Mel haters....How much is Ox paying y'all? It's so funny how you all come in one big clump.

S

"Never" treated anyone badly? I'm sure the recipients of his widely-publicized hateful, drunk comments would disagree, as would his now ex-wife, whom he threatened to kill and bury in the garden. Cue the greatly-belated damage control to salvage his career.

Debbie

The tapes were edited, any one can tell that The Extortionist Oinky even admitted that on the Larry king interview. She said her self she had edited the tapes.

The only reason the DA did not go ahead was because he was great friends with her legal team

If you bothered to read the sheriffs department whom investigated this THEY SAID THERE WERE 3/4 COUNTS WHERE CHARGES SHOULD HAVE BEEN LAID AGAINST OSKANA.

SO SHE SHOULD OF BEEN CHARGED .

I have always been a fan of Mel's work and will continue to enjoy his talent.

Hollywood is such a tow faced place Polanski who raped an underage girl and supplied her with booze runs to a country who does not have an extradition treaty with USA , Other Celebs have done far worse things than Mel has, I think a lot of people are jealous of his talent I noticed after the Passion Of The Christ were Mel said he went to many studios to co produce this film They all turned him down, It became one of the biggest ever in history as well as DVD sales

He used his own money to fiance this.
Oinky's past speaks for itself if some of you have the time look into it, Several marriages, to older wealthy men.Men with $$$$ She uses people for one reason HERSELF.

Debbie

dee

I remember getting into a arguement with my ex. I was yelling and cursing at him as he was walking away from me down a hallway at college. At the same time I was yelling at him I had a voice in my head saying " what are you doing, you don't act this was way". I never did that again and I am so glad that will never be used to define who I am.

Kilmerfan

One Oksana has never been Mel's wife and two Robyn Mel's Ex-wife has stood by him all though this. Which is very telling. I believe Robyn any day of the week over Oksana. Robyn had nothing to gain from standing up for Mel but I guess She loves the truth.

Oksana would not know the truth if it walked up and bit her in the a$$.

TMZgossip

Firefly 13 minutes ago

...

what is funny about it?
every new thread starts off with lots of different people posting, and once the story is off the 1st page, only the regulars remain.

in actuality, one could point at the Team LUNATIC people and comment that they must be paid, considering how much time they spend defending the racist, anti-semetic, alcoholic woman beater ;)