'Glory' Screenwriter Kevin Jarre -- Dead at 56

4/22/2011 8:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kevin Jarre -- the GENIUS who wrote "Glory" and "Tombstone" ... two of the GREATEST movies of all time -- has died.

Kevin Jaffe Death

The screenwriter died suddenly of heart failure at his home in Santa Monica ... says his aunt.

Jarre was a known history buff whose interest in the Civil War lead him to write 'Glory' in 1989. The movie won three Oscars.

His 1993 hit 'Tombstone' depicts the shootout at the O.K. Corral and includes a scene-stealing performance by Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday.

Jarre also co-wrote "Rambo: First Blood Part II," "The Devil's Own" and "The Mummy."

Bad. Ass.

Al & Jesse

Very talented writer! R.I.P

Home Skillet

That's so sad. RIP, man.

ocgirl

RIP. Way too young.

CCC

It's also unfortunately that TMZ has his name wrong, its Jarre.

Jano

"I'll be your Huckleberry" Doc Holliday, Tombstsone...Sheer Genius.
R.I.P

Jay

Yep, truly sad. It might be a tad sadder, tho, that his name is actually Kevin Jarre, not Jaffe. But I'm sure the author of this post was a big fan.

hotbitch

^^Classic line. I LOVE Tombstone. Glory was great too but I haven't seen it in years.

ChuckyDee

Sorry, not greatest movies of all time. Funny how people want to exaggerate something when the person dies.

Lakia

I remember when I was a teenager and I first saw Glory. The scene where Denzel was being whipped was so brutal and it brought home to me the many sacrifices everyone made for me to be a free American. May he rest in peace.

Tom C.

IMDB says his name is Kevin Jarre not Jaffe.

Superman

Yeah, right. A "history buff" who makes 'Glory' into fabricated propaganda garbage. The North had no interest in ending slavery. It was about "preserving the Union" for them. Cotton was 2/3rds of the U.S. exports and the textile mills in the North were reaping a lot of the benefits. The cheap labor immigrants in the North viewed freed slaves as competition. Even the Emancipation Proclamation of 1963 was used ONLY against the Rebel states and ONLY after a threat was made for them to rejoin the Union or else they would free their slaves when captured. The Emancipation Proclamation didn't affect the Union slave states.

Superman

oops, should be...1863

Superman

Oh, and blacks were treated badly in the North...not as bad as the slaves, but still they were run out of towns and treated as outcast vagrants.

Trev the 1

great movies glory and tombstone are on my top 30 of all time.

Gwenn

SUPERMAN and CHAZ, you're both idiots who don't know SH**.. The Emancipation Proclamation was proposed by Lincoln in 1862, signed in January of 1863,(NOT 1963 as you both stated in your reply, that would be when KENNEDY 1st initiated the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT, signed into law by JOHNSON in 1964) the abolition of slavery also known as THE 13TH AMENDMENT to the Constitution was instituted in 1865. Try actually taking a history class BOTH of you. Pathetic, that no one seems to know anyting about history these days, let alone the fact that you both posted regarding a story on the writer Jevin JARRE (NOT JAFFE) see you did not even know, both of you, that his name was incorrect.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments