ABC Accused Of Stiffing 'General Hospital' Creators

4/26/2011 4:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"General Hospital" is one of the longest running daytime soaps in the history of television ... and the children of the couple who created the show claim they've been screwed out of a major part of their cut.

0426_general_hospital_ex

TMZ has obtained a lawsuit filed by the estate of Frank and Doris Hursley -- the couple who created the show back in 1963.

According to the lawsuit, the Hursley's daughters claim their parents struck a deal with ABC way back when ... to reap 10% of all profits from the syndication of the show ... but ABC hasn't honored the deal.

The daughters allege ABC has cooked the books for years -- and has failed to pay the full amount owed to the creators.

The Hursley children do not specify how much money they believe ABC owes -- but they want a judge to force ABC to open up its books to an audit ASAP.

MoonDust

Tweety about a minute ago
I love Luke!

Isn't Luke a rapist?

namers

Frons and Sweeney's head on a stick. Please.

MoonDust

TY TMZ FOR REMOVING ALL THE SPAM!!!!!!YOUR READERS ARE THANKFUL!!

Tweety

@ MoonDust - True...but Luke is a "reformed" rapist and is now the moral center of Port Charles. Sort of like how the dead come back to life in soaps :-)

Tweety

True - Luke was a rapist but then Laura fell in love with him. Best story line ever...

imasoapfan

I wonder if Agnes Nixon is also owed money by ABC for her creations, All My Children and One Life to Live. I'd love for someone to investigate that.

Jess

I grew up watching Soap Operas, and I would actually like to make a correction to this article. Guiding Light was actually the longest running daytime soap opera. Between radio and television, Guiding Light was on for 72 years!
But it is extremely sad to see what is happening to this genre of television because these shows cross generations and become part of people's daily lives. There is no other medium of television that will ever reach the longevity that these shows have reached, or touch the number of lives that soap operas have. It really is a shame that networks are getting rid of these beloved shows for more crappy game, talk and cooking shows. We have enough of that crap as it is. I personally prefer watching something that can really take us out of reality and truly engross us in a good story line.

MoonDust

Spoke too soon about the spams

imasoapfan

I'm so sad that the soap genre is being killed for profit-hungry execs with no imagination. The networks seems to have no idea how they are destroying viewer loyalty with their short-sighted decisions.

I'm disappointed by all the insults soaps get in the press. Soap fans are no different at sports fans or fans or any other form of entertainment. Sadly, there are a lot of sexist people out there.

Stephanie

The claim is no is watching soaps anymore. The demographics are not there. The soap fans are no longer home between 1-3pm because they are at work. I agree with that. So why not change the time slot to 7pm or later. I may not be a home from 1-3pm but I DVR my favorite soap and watch it later. Why not keep all the soaps on air but leave them on the soap channel where they are on anyway ( channel # 190 where I live). SAVE OUR SOAPS. The networks think they can save $$$$$ by adding more reality to TV. Reality cost them NOTHING. That's why they want to get rid of soaps. They don't realize this action will turn off daytime viewers and force them to watch cable channels that feature soap style drama's. This will BACKFIRE on ABC and they will be canceled. PAYBACK IS A BITCH.

UNLEVINED HARVEY

roy disney said the company has become "rapacious"

Bruce Applegate MA Ed

How could they. General Hospital is a part of America! Bruce Applegate, www.NewHeraldNews.com

Kathi

Imagine that, ABC lied? As if that's a first. They have been doing that a lot lately. When is Fronsie getting fired anyway? SAVE OUR SOAPS!

Muppet

I can't decide which is worse, soap operas or reality tv! Get rid of both and come up with some well written programs to watch. Now that would be a change!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments