ABC Accused Of Stiffing 'General Hospital' Creators

4/26/2011 4:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"General Hospital" is one of the longest running daytime soaps in the history of television ... and the children of the couple who created the show claim they've been screwed out of a major part of their cut.

0426_general_hospital_ex

TMZ has obtained a lawsuit filed by the estate of Frank and Doris Hursley -- the couple who created the show back in 1963.

According to the lawsuit, the Hursley's daughters claim their parents struck a deal with ABC way back when ... to reap 10% of all profits from the syndication of the show ... but ABC hasn't honored the deal.

The daughters allege ABC has cooked the books for years -- and has failed to pay the full amount owed to the creators.

The Hursley children do not specify how much money they believe ABC owes -- but they want a judge to force ABC to open up its books to an audit ASAP.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Kelly1978

ABC's just messing with all the soaps! They obviously don't honor contracts or their loyal viewers. Please save All My Children!

Debbie

Maybe this will be enough for Brian Frons to be fired! Shavonne did you join the protests today in LA? Check out Protest ABC Across America on facebook and www.protestabcacrossamerica.com for info and upcoming protest dates and times.

Debbie

I hope Brian Frons gets FIRED over this! Shavonne did you join the protests today in LA? Checkout Protest ABC across America on facebook and www.protestabcacrossamerica.com for upcoming protests.

Flamingolady

ABC has become a wasteland, and with no soaps to watch, this channel will not be seen at my house. Since the cancellations were announced, the only thing on ABC that I watch is the soaps that they are canceling. Before the announcement, ABC would go on for GMA, and stay on thru ET. They have crap at night and we would watch a variety of other shows anyway. Now, it is the Today show, and I bounce around and find interesting things, or work outside. ABC no longer has any appeal to me, and I am also boycotting its sponsors, and have e mailed and told them so. There is no other incident I can think of in my life, and I am 62 and retired, that has engendered such response from me. This is something that has ignited my soul. Bye Bye ABC and all things Disney, and also, my husband and I were going to book a cruise on Disney for our children and grand children, a total of 12 people. 12 people times $3000, you do the math! Now we are booking on Royal Caribbean.

Kim

Frickin' ABC you suck! Nothing but a bunch of GREED MONGERS! Go Team Hursley, get 'em for every cent you can!

Ketielynn

Oh Great, now it will get cancelled too.

Bunn

DISNEY may deserve this but 'dollars to donuts' the viewers are the ones who will pay for this if a lawsuit is launched! Why did they wait til now? When the soaps are all getting cancelled how is any money gonna be paid out to them now? Yeah Iknow DISNEY has a 'getzillions' of bucks but they will tie this up in court for centuries rather than pay this family what may be rightfully theirs!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5