« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'The Fighter' -- Real-Life Mom Dies

4/27/2011 12:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The real-life mother and manager of retired welterweight champ Micky Ward -- played by Melissa Leo in the movie "The Fighter" -- passed away today ... after doctors took her off life support.

0426_alice_ward_BN_Sun-01
Alice Ward (above) went into cardiac arrest in a Boston hospital back in January -- and was put on life support soon after.

Her son Dicky Eklund confirmed her death to the Lowell Sun this afternoon. She was 79.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JustaGuy

First to say RIP..but everyone dies eventually right?

electriczipper

taxes and death ......

ocgirl

RIP.

Shread

Condolences to the Ward Family. Mickey and ****ey were wild kids and the Sisters we no walk in the park either. Mom must have been one very strong Woman to raise the Kids and keep after Mickeys career. R.I.P. Mom, you did a GREAT job!!!

cgasucks

As a person who lost his own mother a few months ago, I offer my most sincere condolences....I loved the movie and I'm glad they put her character in a positive light...

Lizzie

ALICE WARD must of been one hell of a lady!!!!!!! Melissa Leo's
protrayal of ALICE WARD was FAN-TAS-TIC!!!!!!! REST IN PEACE
ALICE WARD!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooooooooooray 4 MAX, MAX, MAX, MAX!!
Little Harvey is an OLE HAG Jewish woman~haaaaaaaaa!!!!

Mel

Wow it really is a slow day TMZ, Alice Ward is not a celebrity either!!! you are scraping now....RIP Alice.

sean

I was a golden gloves boxer for my town in Queens when I was 14.
An Irish lad from the wrong side of the tracks in Queens NYC,I began to get into alot of scrums and partook in a bit of hooliganism .Soon after when I was diagnosed with ADD my moms signed me up for full contact sports like boxing, karate and ice hockey.
I was able to take out my anger and rambunctiousness on the rink and the ring.(sometimes the same thing)and have never needed the Ritalin they tried to feed me 30 odd years ago..

Boxing and the fighting ARTS saved my life..
*sidenote*

The word hooliganism and hooligan began to be associated with violence in sports, in particular from the 1980s in the UK with football(American soccer) hooliganism.

However, one of the earliest known instances of crowd violence at a sporting event took place in ancient Constantinople. Two chariot racing factions, the Blues and the Greens, were involved in the Nika riots which lasted around a week in 532 CE, nearly half the city was burned or destroyed in addition to tens of thousands of deaths.

Erin go bragh
Irish Micky....................................Irish Sean

sean

Love of a Mother is a love you never outgrow..

Thank you to all the noble MOTHERS that suffer for the benefit of their Children and continue to help make OUR world a safer more gracious Community of mankind ...

Lisa

I guess I'll go ahead and check out this movie. Interestingly enough, it was Melissa Leo's blatantly PHONY, contrived attempt at creating a 'classic Oscar moment' that turned me off to seeing it up to this point. Seems like no one else saw that BS for what it was.

northern gypsy

at the end of the movie...while the credits rolled...they had cameos of the real family...mom was not there...i suspect her health was failing...
for better...or...worse she was the glue that kept them together...

R.I.P. ALICE WARD

Bobby Trendy

May Alice rest in piece.

Mary Ann

To iLUVCOLLEGE
What's wrong...don't have friends, family can't stand you??
You'll do anything to get attention. Even trying to let people think you go to college!
I doubt if you finished grade school!

cookie

Our hearts go out to you and family.

moe

Condolences to the Ward family.