Jacob Lusk -- Jimmy Iovine Got Me Booted!!!

5/6/2011 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" reject Jacob Lusk is telling friends he's not to blame for the TERRIBLE song choices that led to his elimination this week ... insisting he got BAD advice from Jimmy Iovine.

0506_jacob_jimmy_EX_Getty_01

TMZ spoke with a source extremely close to Lusk ... who tells us Jacob never wanted to perform the Jordin Sparks /Chris Brown duet, "No Air" on Wednesday's show ... but Iovine pressured him into it.

We're told Lusk really wanted to perform the Gnarls Barkley hit, "Crazy" -- but Iovine was so insistent on "No Air" that he basically "beat it into his brain" until Lusk finally gave in and agreed to perform the song.

During the show, Randy Jackson told Lusk, "I don’t think that’s the direction for you ... I don't think anybody on this stage should be doing duet songs."

0506_jacob_lusk_smallSources connected to the production tell us ... Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe has told every contestant the decision on final song choice is made by the singer ... and NOT  the mentor.

Strunz28

I would go with Iovine on this one. He's got a pretty good track record of evaluating talent...Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen...he's pretty good.

Carol

Oh well. At this point they do not need the idol to get a job singing. The one girl is too young has talent but age will kee p her back or should. Haley has too much attitude for me has the talent too, needs direction, example last night works well under direction.

lj9283

Just part of the hit/smear campaign that has pretty much been a constant against Jacob's success.

"Whisper" campaigns from unidentified sources are just the tools of cowards.

Dollars to dimes the kid never said anything like that.

Kat

I don't think Jacob was ever American Idol material but I do think that he would do well on Broadway, and now that he has had some exposure he may want to try out for some shows.

TMJ

Jacob needs to realize the only person at fault for his being booted is his. Time to take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming everyone else. It's called grow up. I personally couldn't take his voice and personality any longer.

Cecilia

Was his time to go. Don't blame him on "being a woman" and blaming everyone else...that is offensive to me and all women so "sick of it" speak to what you know! Jennifer is doing a good job on judging, let us just face it he did not make it, he was voted off, good bye and let the music play on!!!

Susan

Jacob needs to realize that he was not going to win AI. He is a gospel singer and could not change it up enough. And to everyone who has said this yes he was in the bottom three for several weeks and should have realized it was his time to go. I posted on FB last night when he was eliminated and while this wasn't said to me directly sometone who I thought was friend make comments that I won't repeat about AI. She was upset that people were happy Jacob went home and now she won't even talk to me at work. Oh well...her loss.....and in case anyone cares I am so Team James.....

David

It was also recently reported that Mrs. Lusk, Jacob's mother, just finished filing a discrimination law suit against the American Idol executives. This is a first!!!

Sherry

He sucked!!! That's why he's gone.

lisatxss

It was ALL Jacob. Sorry but we were tired of the voice. And the self-rightous person you came off as.

Polly

I didn't like him from the beginning. He has good voice, but every time I heard him he made feel like I was in church. And, I thought his version of Love Hurts was just horrible. He could have redeemed himself, but he didn't.

Sondra

Always thought he was the worst of the 12. Surprised he lasted so long. His voice hurt my ears.

mookeywookey

Seriously, you HAVE to have a strong image of who you are as an artist. If you don't, you are going to be eaten alive, you'll lose yourself. Seriously, he should walk around saying, "Jakob Lusk only does this kind of song".... it'll be like it's two against one when someone like iovine starts mentoring him.

Corey

This kid has so many excuses. His ego is too big for a nobody. He sucked plain and simple, and no matter what he sang he probably would have gone home. He has never been an audience favorite.

XmasDVD

Who cares how he went, as long as he is gone! He is a no talent hack with a fans base. GONE! Yes.