'Road Trip' Actress -- Knee Surgery Day Before Death

5/11/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Road Trip" actress Mia Amber Davis underwent a routine knee surgery in Los Angeles the day before she died ... TMZ has confirmed.

0511_amber_davis_EX_Getty_02

TMZ spoke with Mia's husband -- Michael Yard -- who told us the actress went under the knife Monday to correct an ongoing issue with her knee stemming from an old college basketball injury.

Yard -- who was in NY at the time -- tells us he spoke with Mia Tuesday morning and she sounded normal and in good spirits.

However, hours later -- Mike says he got a phone call from Mia's cousin informing him that she was taking Mia to the hospital because Mia had been suffering from a bout of dizziness.

Soon after, Mike says the unthinkable happened -- he got another phone call informing him his wife had passed away.

Mike says he immediately hopped on a plane to L.A. -- and he wants answers ... telling TMZ, "I want to know what happened to my wife."

brett

It was likely a blood clot, a risk in EVERY surgery. As long as they did the normal tests for a person of her age, there isn't going to be a big lawsuit.

Despite that, my codolences, 36 is way too young to leave this Earth and I'm sorry her husband had to be across the country when all this went downhill.

Jackie

That's very sad. My soul rest in peace.

Jeepers

A man my husband worked with had routine knee surgery and died the next day. They didn't do an autopsy but felt certain it was a blood clot.

Home Skillet

Such a shame. Keeping her in my thoughts.

CA Girl

The obvious fact: she's OVERWEIGHT. She was obese. Anytime you have hip or leg surgery in particular, and the patient is clearly overweight as she was, the possibility of blood clotting needs to be discussed with the patient addressed competently BEFORE it is a problem. Assuming this COULD be the reason for her demise, it begs the question whether this issue was advised and adequately addressed before surgery.

John

@ladybeagles to much gen hospital... they don't knock everyone out by gas... remember MJ's drug of choice?

also to others talking about infections.. risk if very low to die from it. Most of the time the pain would drive them back to the hospital way before it is going to kill.. zsa Zsa ring a bell?

The blood clot is one the biggest risks in any operation and is the most deadly. Then it can go to the heart or lungs etc.. sad deal but thats why even simple knee scopes have a risk...

Martha

Blood Cots can travel to your brain and cause aneurysms, the hospital is at fault for this. I've seen soo many cases of this happening to people after surgery. There has to be some type of responsibility place on the hospital for letting her out so fast.

WhatsNext

Definitely sounds like a blood clot. I thought they gave women blood thinners when they had surgery, apparently not

Sommer

Mia Amber was so much more than the actor we saw on Road Trip. As a fellow plus size model she was an inspiration, role model, trail blazer and icon in the Plus Size industry. The Plus Community mourns her loss but celebrates her life. My prayers go out to her family and close friends. An angel has gotten her wings

moe

ortho specialist weighing in--embolism (blood clot)

Ashley Ervin

Our poor Mia... she was an absolutely amazing person, a genuine soul. Let us not mourn our loss but celebrate her homecoming. There is no doubt in my mind she strutted the runway to heaven. Mia will always be legendary for making way for other plus models to gain way in the industry. Let's not remember May 10th as the day Mia Amber passed away. Only remember it as the day heaven became truly fierce. Forever in our hearts, work that ultimate eternal runway girl.

My condolences to her husband and family.
Ashley Ervin
www.photocentricphotography.com

joy

Mia we will miss sooo much, you were an amazing model and an inspiration to all aspiring models plus or not. Your hard work, kindness and talent was like the sun shining threw clouds and touching everything around in a beautiful and magnificent way...shine on

Janie

This is why I elect not to have knee surgery. Three people that I know died the day after their knee surgery because of a blood clot of air embolism going to the heart.

1luv

I'm thinking a blood clot or a reaction the the pain meds. R.I.P

VP

Wow. This is so very sad. RIP. My sincere condolences to her husband and family. It's scary to think that u can die from something that is supposed to be "routine." She was too young. Smh...............

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments